A four-hour version of It's a Sin

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: A four-hour version of It's a Sin

#31 Post by Pod »

Thanks!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

df118junkie

#32 Post by df118junkie »

Richard X is there too. He has some pictures up on his Instagram feed.

Remark

#33 Post by Remark »

df118junkie wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 6:02 pm
Richard X is there too. He has some pictures up on his Instagram feed.
This is great. More videos and audio if you find them!

Sandy Shaw

#34 Post by Sandy Shaw »

I really enjoyed the afternoon. I had to head off to work this evening as I would have listened through a second time. I made it to "Orchestral Stabs" on the second playback. Wolfgang Tillmans introduced the event himself. I also got to see and hear his installation of his own tracks before the PSB event. It was good to bump into some other fans this afternoon.
What's for supper?

stussyboy

#35 Post by stussyboy »

I went and stayed about 45 mins before the family dragged me off.

Quite a few people there throughout and looked like some were in for the long haul. Neil's vocals sounded better than I anticipated. Otherwise it wasn't particularly fascinating to be honest, although great to see the tanks, hadn't been there before.

The turbine hall would be a great gig venue though.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

markreed

#36 Post by markreed »

I saw Kraftwerk there in 2013 : a very good venue.

rashomon

#37 Post by rashomon »

markreed wrote: Sun 05 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm I saw Kraftwerk there in 2013 : a very good venue.
yep - I was there too ... 14th Feb show. Queued from 14:30 for a return - was a loooong day but well worth it.

Wish this was playing tomorrow ... I can see the Tate Modern Switch House from my desk and I would have popped across for an hour or so :wall:
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Sandy Shaw

#38 Post by Sandy Shaw »

I think it could be true to say that we have heard 30 mixes, none of which are the released version of It's a sin. The last one with all the parts present was really accentuating the bass drum! There is some interesting female laughter on one of the stems that I have yet to make out on the released version of the recording. It comes after "I didn't quite succeed". The first track we heard with just the thunder effects was awesome and there was a good deal of "Choir" recorded, with again some lost in the released mix and the versions we heard today, once more and more layers had been added.
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
What's for supper?

Zog

#39 Post by Zog »

When I first heard about this, I was a bit skeptical. But upon seeing tiny snippets (and more info), this looks like a really interesting event (too bad I'm 4,800 miles away).

Just did a quick YouTube search. So far nothing (that I could find). Does anyone have any more links aside from the ones posted above? Hopefully there will be some longer (hi-quality) excerpts.

[if someone's posted some, and I've missed it/them ... apologies]

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

TallThinMan

#40 Post by TallThinMan »

Can someone who was there please answer some questions about the event?

- Was it the single mix of It’s A Sin just looped round and round? Were the intro and middle eight included?
- Were the tracks added in one by one until the whole mix built up over the entire playback period?

Ellie

#41 Post by Ellie »

I think it was just the single mix of It's a Sin looped but I may be wrong. It did include the intro and middle eight. It was great to hear all the layers that create that great atmosphere, especially in the middle eight with all the sound effects, choir etc.

I found it quite a fascinating experience actually. I only went to the second session but stayed all the way through. When the last two drum tracks at the end finally came in, everyone left was up dancing and hugging each other, lol. There was a very warm feeling and a very mixed audience too.

psbfannyc

#42 Post by psbfannyc »

Ellie wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2017, 9:46 pm I think it was just the single mix of It's a Sin looped but I may be wrong. It did include the intro and middle eight. It was great to hear all the layers that create that great atmosphere, especially in the middle eight with all the sound effects, choir etc.

I found it quite a fascinating experience actually. I only went to the second session but stayed all the way through. When the last two drum tracks at the end finally came in, everyone left was up dancing and hugging each other, lol. There was a very warm feeling and a very mixed audience too.
Oh damn! I wish I had been there!!!

psbfannyc

#43 Post by psbfannyc »

I guess we...and PSB...can officially say that the "It's a Sin (Wolfgang Tillmans' 30 Tracks That Make It's a Sin Mix)" is the longest publicly made mix ever in PSB history at 2 hours, 34 minutes and 39 seconds?

Sandy Shaw

#44 Post by Sandy Shaw »

TallThinMan wrote: Mon 06 Mar 2017, 6:31 pm Can someone who was there please answer some questions about the event?

- Was it the single mix of It’s A Sin just looped round and round? Were the intro and middle eight included?
- Were the tracks added in one by one until the whole mix built up over the entire playback period?
IMAG1020.jpg
IMAG1020.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1575 times
IMAG1024.jpg
IMAG1024.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1575 times
Yes, they were added one by one.
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

#45 Post by Sandy Shaw »

A couple of shots from the other screen describing the stems.
IMAG1017.jpg
IMAG1017.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 1574 times
IMAG1031.jpg
IMAG1031.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1574 times
What's for supper?