Say it to Me : the next single!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boyjohn

Re: Say it to Me : the next single!

#286 Post by boyjohn »

as of this morning, 1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.78 US Dollar

Which means that the Canadian dollar is very weak right now, although it has been both stronger and weaker in past years.

Of course, if someone is paid in US dollars, then things are cheaper in Canada
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

NotInvisible

#287 Post by NotInvisible »

Zog wrote:Sorry, you are absolutely 100% wrong. Unless you think I'm lying to you. Look at the exchange rates!
You are incorrect about how the terms 'weak' and 'strong' are applied to currency. Right now the Canadian dollar is considered weak against the US dollar. Currently one Canadian dollar can purchase only 77 US cents. One US dollar can purchase $1.29 CAD. This means the American buyer can make their money go farther in Canada (e.g. the US dollar is stronger). A hypothetical Canadian buyer's money doesn't go as far in the United States (e.g. the Canadian dollar is weaker).

The closer to 1:1 to Canadian dollar gets, the stronger it is. The further from 1:1 it gets, the weaker it is.

Padster

#288 Post by Padster »

Andie wrote:
NikacP0kac wrote:
Andie wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07p13mx

Starts at 02.19 approx!
Found it already myself, but thanks anyway. The bloody ginger speaks over half the song! Doubt this is the New Radio Mix that was played, though maybe it was and there's absolutely no difference (almost) to the album version. We'll find out soon enough.
It doesn't sound much different to me, am I missing something?

There are just subtle mixing differences. Essentially it's the same as the album version.

Waffleon

#289 Post by Waffleon »

NotInvisible wrote:
Zog wrote:Sorry, you are absolutely 100% wrong. Unless you think I'm lying to you. Look at the exchange rates!
You are incorrect about how the terms 'weak' and 'strong' are applied to currency. Right now the Canadian dollar is considered weak against the US dollar. Currently one Canadian dollar can purchase only 77 US cents. One US dollar can purchase $1.29 CAD. This means the American buyer can make their money go farther in Canada (e.g. the US dollar is stronger). A hypothetical Canadian buyer's money doesn't go as far in the United States (e.g. the Canadian dollar is weaker).

The closer to 1:1 to Canadian dollar gets, the stronger it is. The further from 1:1 it gets, the weaker it is.
Unfortunately i can confirm, as I continue to book up accommodations and travel for a certain upcoming tour in the US, this is all too true. Nice way to explain it by the way. It is a terminology issue here, weak vs strong, i think. Basically, 1CAD will only buy you 0.77 of an item denominated in USD. AUD is similar.

daveid

#290 Post by daveid »

Waffleon wrote:
NotInvisible wrote:

Unfortunately i can confirm, as I continue to book up accommodations and travel for a certain upcoming tour in the US, this is all too true. Nice way to explain it by the way. It is a terminology issue here, weak vs strong, i think. Basically, 1CAD will only buy you 0.77 of an item denominated in USD. AUD is similar.
We never ever argue. We never calculate the currency fluctuations between USD or CAD or quibble over the idiosyncrasies of the FTSE. I love you. You pay my rent

Luke Colorado

#291 Post by Luke Colorado »

daveid wrote:er calculate the currency fluctuations between USD or CAD or quibble over the idiosyncrasies of the FTSE. I love you. You pay my rent
:clap: :clap: :clap:

STFU, guys.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

df118junkie

#292 Post by df118junkie »

Zog wrote:
Palpatine wrote:
Zog wrote:
No idea why it worked this way on iTunes. But the Canadian Dollar has been condiderably stronger than the US Dollar for at least two years. Here are some recent exchange rates;

Noon
2016-08-22
Close
2016-08-19
Average
2016-07

That means that 1USD is worth 1.2857 CAN. on market close on the 22nd.

Incidentally I've been freelancing for the New York Times, and work with the Washington Post. I get paid in US dollars. The last WP cheque I received a few weeks ago was for $886 US, I received about $1,160 Can in exchange. The it's been pretty steady at 1.30 or over for at least a year. Most of the time the Canadian dollar "stronger". It was as high as 1.50 and has only been occasionally lower (around 2008-09).

The Canadian dollar is highly resource based, particularly oil, and natural gas (Canada has some of the largest oil and mineral reserves in the world, so the prices of any of those inflate the Can $). The Canadian dollar is not per se a stronger currency. They are different currencies that have the same name. The only way you can get an accurate idea of the real strength of the Canadian dollar is to compare and track it with other major currencies.

I don't know what else to say but check any major currency exhange site (like I just did a few minutes ago)

-Zog
You have it backwards. The Canadian Dollar is weak. It's only worth .77 USD. If you lived in the US and you got a cheque from a Canadian company for $1,160 CDN it would only be worth $886 USD. That's why tourism from the US to Canada is up because the US dollar goes a lot further in Canada than it does in the US. Conversely tourism from Canada to the US is way down because the Canadian dollar doesn't go as far as it used to: https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/0 ... where.html
Sorry, you are absolutely 100% wrong. Unless you think I'm lying to you. Look at the exchange rates!!

Also I get paid from the US regularly in US Dollars! Regulary. It's my job. I'm not BS-ing you. Google my name (Martin Ashwood-Smith). I get paid in US dollars.

I am not giving you an opinion here! Look at the references to what I do and who I work for. You'll see it on Google.

I invite anyone to view this Google exchange rate link. Tell be exactly what it says. Please, everyone be my guest:

https://www.google.ca/search?site=&sour ... olOZv5aMDA

In fact you are so profoundly wrong, I'm seriously think you're just trying to toy with me.

-Zog
No-one is toying with you - you are 100% wrong.

You are lucky to be paid in $US (not your native currency). You get MORE because for every $0.77 US you earn, you get $1 CAN. If the $CAN got stronger, it would move closer to 1:1 - and you would take home LESS $CAN because you get paid in $US. It's the same as me buying up $AUS and UKP lately because I will get more for my $US. I will use them when travelling.

Zog

#293 Post by Zog »

df118junkie wrote:
Zog wrote:
Palpatine wrote:
You have it backwards. The Canadian Dollar is weak. It's only worth .77 USD. If you lived in the US and you got a cheque from a Canadian company for $1,160 CDN it would only be worth $886 USD. That's why tourism from the US to Canada is up because the US dollar goes a lot further in Canada than it does in the US. Conversely tourism from Canada to the US is way down because the Canadian dollar doesn't go as far as it used to: https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/0 ... where.html
Sorry, you are absolutely 100% wrong. Unless you think I'm lying to you. Look at the exchange rates!!

Also I get paid from the US regularly in US Dollars! Regulary. It's my job. I'm not BS-ing you. Google my name (Martin Ashwood-Smith). I get paid in US dollars.

I am not giving you an opinion here! Look at the references to what I do and who I work for. You'll see it on Google.

I invite anyone to view this Google exchange rate link. Tell be exactly what it says. Please, everyone be my guest:

In fact you are so profoundly wrong, I'm seriously think you're just trying to toy with me.

-Zog

You are lucky to be paid in $US (not your native currency). You get MORE because for every $0.77 US you earn, you get $1 CAN. If the $CAN got stronger, it would move closer to 1:1 - and you would take home LESS $CAN because you get paid in $US. It's the same as me buying up $AUS and UKP lately because I will get more for my $US. I will use them when travelling.
I owe you all an apology. I was obviously looking at it backwards. Sorry for being so stubbornly wrong.

I repeat that so nobody thinks I'm trying to pull a "there's been a little misunderstanding" kind of excuse. No excuses, I was wrong: 100% wrong.

-Zog-the-erroneous
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

Zog

#294 Post by Zog »

Zog wrote:
df118junkie wrote:
Zog wrote:

-Zog

I owe you all an apology. I was obviously looking at it backwards. Sorry for being so stubbornly wrong.

I repeat that so nobody thinks I'm trying to pull a "there's been a little misunderstanding" kind of excuse. No excuses, I was wrong: 100% wrong.

-Zog-the-erroneous
Actually, it's a minor miracle that still have a (freelancing) job at the New York Times, the rate I'm going. Oh yeah... the Earth is flat, while I'm at it.

-Zog
New Stuff

NikacP0kac

#295 Post by NikacP0kac »

Oh, fu*k me. Open another thread for this pointless money talk. There are almost three pages of this and not a single word about the single.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

moxlox

#296 Post by moxlox »

NikacP0kac wrote:Oh, fu*k me. Open another thread for this pointless money talk. There are almost three pages of this and not a single word about the single.
I've paid £8.90 for the 12" of Say It To Me. That's gone up from the £7.11 I paid for The Pop Kids 12". Clearly this must be the effect of Brexit [ :lol: ].
Circuses and Bread

vincenzosz

#297 Post by vincenzosz »

NikacP0kac wrote:Oh, fu*k me. Open another thread for this pointless money talk. There are almost three pages of this and not a single word about the single.
I agree. Seriously annoying.

Zog

#298 Post by Zog »

vincenzosz wrote:
I agree. Seriously annoying.
Yes, my fault. I've apologized. But the posts now saying how annoying this is/was (including this one) are hardy helpful. Soooooo... (hopefully) bringing the thread back on topic.

(But I'll try!)

I think all things considered, this is a good all-around choice for a single. It may not, as a fan, have been my first choice. But I think we have to stand back and consider what would probably go down best with the general public, and radio stations (and I
don't mean Radio One and its ilk).

Personally, I would have loved "Burn" or a good tight radio remix of "Undertow". One of the main reasons being that I'd really want to hear/have some great extended/other remixes of both tracks. Also, I love "Burn", and there is a reasonable chance that many other non-fans might too. But, to be honest, "Say it to Me" does sound pretty bloody good in the radio. And I think is a bit more mainstream.

And, the single packages don't look half bad either. So, all-in-all, I think this is a good single package. BUT... I really hope we have some "Burn" and "Undertow" mixes/remixes that end up in formal circulation too. Especially, if "they" had commissioned some (as with "Discoteca" 20 years ago) earlier if they were possibly still considering other potential singles.

-Zog
New Stuff

Ghost within this house

#299 Post by Ghost within this house »

I have very high hopes for the B Sides.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Ghost within this house

#300 Post by Ghost within this house »

It is also interesting to note from the Literally excerpts that both B-sides were written at about the same time as SITM.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun