10 years of Fundamental - Trevor Horn answers questions from forum members

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MikeyC

Re: 10 years of Fundamental - Trevor Horn answers questions from forum members

#31 Post by MikeyC » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 2:59 am

While it is a bit surprising that he was so unfamiliar with their more recent output, he did make me laugh when he said about 'Electric' and 'Super': "haven't heard them, are they any good?" haha! :)

Dog

#32 Post by Dog » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:06 am

Glad you all liked it. It was fun to do.

I'd imagined it would be an email exchange, as the one with Stephen Hague was, but it ended up being a 40-minute phone conversation at the beginning of this week - probably due to the number of questions I'd opportunistically sent across. He was tight for time, so apologies to anyone disappointed that their question didn't get answered. I tried to include a cross section.

The call took some time to schedule. Trevor is clearly a very busy man and seems to spend a good deal of time travelling overseas - he is obviously still very much in demand.

He was very pleasant on the phone and I'm extremely grateful to him, and to his patient assistant Suzanne who put up with my intermittant chasing.

I think there's something quite interesting about this kind of interview. Firstly, these are people that don't necessarily do, or get asked to do, a great deal of interviews. And then these are the kinds of questions that don't typically get asked. So it's kind of a unique experience on both sides. I think it's unearthed a good number of new facts and anecdotes, which must be the ultimate aim.

I purposefully wrote up it up as fully as I could, which is why it's maybe not quite as neat and concise as a typical interview... Sometimes the truth lies in the detail, and I wanted to give this every chance to come across.

I've every intention of continuing what now seems to be establishing itself as a bit if a project, so the requests are duly noted. :)
Woof.

Dog

#33 Post by Dog » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:09 am

MikeyC wrote:While it is a bit surprising that he was so unfamiliar with their more recent output, he did make me laugh when he said about 'Electric' and 'Super': "haven't heard them, are they any good?" haha! :)
He did seem genuinely interested... You never know, he may have downloaded them since, on my recommendation. :)
Woof.

TallThinMan

#34 Post by TallThinMan » Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:17 am

Mods, any chance we could get these interviews permanently archived and made easily accessible in their own sub-forum?

jules

#35 Post by jules » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 3:25 am

glennjridge wrote:maybe as a superfan of the PSB I'm imprinting on trevor but I find it a bit irritating how out of the loop he appears to be with their music. its almost as if he knows what he knows only if he's involved otherwise he cant be bothered. I mean, isnt he the least bit curious what they've been up to this band he spend months with on fundamental...not even a listen to the newer stuff? anyways I just found that a bit surprising.
Thanks ! It's always great to have interviews of such great artists that worked with the pet shop boys ! It seems that Trevor really don't care about the recent stuff of the boys.

Now we know they still could work with stephen Hague or Trevor.
julien676.skyblog.com

Undertaker

#36 Post by Undertaker » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 10:43 am

Great stuff Dog. Thankyou. Trevor Horn could be the third or fourth Pet Shop Boy. He seems to know what their signature sound should be more than Neil and Chris themselves.

Anyone know how his chils is that gor injured with a gun shot?

PopArt

#37 Post by PopArt » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:47 pm

A brilliant idea to do this so tank you Dog. Both this and the Stephen Hague interviews are a brilliant idea.

I've always rather liked Trevor Horn. Seems down to earth and quite normal despite clearly being a bit of a legend. Plus he has worked incredibly well with PSB. I think that, after the Stuart Price trilogy completes, it would be great if they went back to working with Horn and went from this 'electronic purist' phase to the opposite end of the spectrum- big, over the top Horn production. A grand statement of an album with orchestra's and such like.
I'm always waiting...

TallThinMan

#38 Post by TallThinMan » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 12:51 pm

jules wrote:It seems that Trevor really don't care about the recent stuff of the boys.
I get the impression Trevor has very little spare time and when he does he perhaps doesn’t want to spend it listening to new albums, being someone who spends hours a day in the studio helping to create new albums.

artistinmass

#39 Post by artistinmass » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 3:04 pm

Thank you Dog for making this happen. I'm pleasantly surprised that many (if not all) of my questions were answered!
It's now plain to see that working with Neil and Chris is quite an entertaining affair!

Old Soak

#40 Post by Old Soak » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 4:55 pm

Excellent, thank you, and thank Trevor for answering my question! I take it that Trevor, contrary to accepted knowledge because his name is on the writing credits actually had nothing to do with The sound of the atom splitting and he got the writing credit merely as a thank you.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

angelogordillo

#41 Post by angelogordillo » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 5:36 pm

Great

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

leesmapman

#42 Post by leesmapman » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 7:15 pm

Sad to hear no Art of Noise music will be made anymore (to be honest: 1999's Seduction Of Claude Debussy came as a surprise to me)

Dog

#43 Post by Dog » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 7:20 pm

leesmapman wrote:Sad to hear no Art of Noise music will be made anymore (to be honest: 1999's Seduction Of Claude Debussy came as a surprise to me)
Fantastic album.
Woof.

leesmapman

#44 Post by leesmapman » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

Dog wrote:
leesmapman wrote:Sad to hear no Art of Noise music will be made anymore (to be honest: 1999's Seduction Of Claude Debussy came as a surprise to me)
Fantastic album.
absolutely. And the two new live tracks that went along with the tour were great too ("Something is missing" and "Information")

Dog

#45 Post by Dog » Sun 10 Jul 2016, 8:24 pm

leesmapman wrote:
Dog wrote:
Fantastic album.
absolutely. And the two new live tracks that went along with the tour were great too ("Something is missing" and "Information")
Is Information available anywhere?
Woof.