10 years of Fundamental - Trevor Horn answers questions from forum members

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
lucienchardon

Re: 10 years of Fundamental - Trevor Horn answers questions from forum members

#76 Post by lucienchardon » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 4:13 am

I like the S&G Show demo better than the album version. Another great reason to get the further listening disc/download.

TwizzleUK

#77 Post by TwizzleUK » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 2:26 pm

Tom Angel wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 9:17 pm
TwizzleUK wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 2:22 pm
onzio wrote:
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 12:21 pm
Both Bright Young Things demo and Radiophonic demo are better than the studio version. I'd add Sodom and Gomorrah Show, Flamboyant and Indefinite Leave to Remain.

The first one is simply ready for release, the others should have been properly produced following the style of the demo.

IMHO
I prefer the studio versions of all the tracks you mention ('Fundamental' is my favourite PSB album). However, the demo of 'Indefinite Leave To Remain' is a gorgeous alternate take which I'm stunned wasn't included on 'Fundamental' further listening.
I agree- Indefinite leave to remain demo is definitely superior to the album version. It's stronger somehow. Shame they missed it off.
I wasn't actually saying I preferred the demo of 'Indefinite Leave To Remain' - I don't. I think all the Fundamental tracks are better in their album forms when compared to the demos. My point was that the 'Indefinite Leave To Remain' demo is a very good alternate version and given how different it is to the final (superior) album version, I'm surprised it wasn't on the further listening discs - especially when many of their other demos aren't that different to the final studio recordings.

G_Goalden

#78 Post by G_Goalden » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

I've never heard that ILTR demo before - where/when was that made available?

Are there more demo versions (other than those not on FL?

G
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

G_Goalden

#79 Post by G_Goalden » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

I've never heard that ILTR demo before - where/when was that made available?

Are there more demo versions (other than those not on FL?

G
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

TwizzleUK

#80 Post by TwizzleUK » Tue 26 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm

They put several demos and alternate mixes online in the 'Product' section of their website several years ago. Think they were only meant to be streamed, but it was quite easy to work out the source URL and download them as MP3 files. Don't think they are there anymore. About a third of them eventually got included in the final 5 further listening.

onzio

#81 Post by onzio » Wed 27 Feb 2019, 10:00 am

TwizzleUK wrote:
Tue 26 Feb 2019, 2:26 pm
I wasn't actually saying I preferred the demo of 'Indefinite Leave To Remain' - I don't. I think all the Fundamental tracks are better in their album forms when compared to the demos. My point was that the 'Indefinite Leave To Remain' demo is a very good alternate version and given how different it is to the final (superior) album version, I'm surprised it wasn't on the further listening discs - especially when many of their other demos aren't that different to the final studio recordings.
I have the suspect that the demo version of ILTR became Twentieth Century. The production is very similar. Or at least they decided to change the style of ILTR after completing Twentieth Century and finding the electro minimal style too repetitive.
Don't get me wrong too, I love Trevor Horn and his big style production, but I also love minimal electro track and those demos really work!!!
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music