Would you include one song from "Super" in your Top 10 PSB songs of all time?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Would you include one song from "Super" in your Top 10 PSB songs of all time?

#1 Post by Nickname » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm

Let me think:

1 - Left to my own devices
2 - Suburbia
3 - Go West
4 - Always on my mind
5 - It's a sin
6 - What have I done to deserve this?
7 - All over the world
8 - New York City Boy
9 - Se a vida e
10 - Pandemonium

I don't think there is a track from "Super" in my top 10

11 - Thursday
12 - The Sodom and Gomorrah Show
13 - Undertow
14 - Burn
15 - Integral
16 - Shameless
17 - Opportunities
18 - Domino Dancing
19 - King Cross
20 - Say it to me

More or less, now.

NikacP0kac

Re: Would you include one song from "Super" in your Top 10 PSB songs of all time?

#2 Post by NikacP0kac » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 10:53 pm

Not at the moment, not. The Pop Kids comes close, others aren't good all-rounder tracks to be considered classics, but they're really good for what they are.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Drico One

Re: Would you include one song from "Super" in your Top 10 PSB songs of all time?

#3 Post by Drico One » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 11:16 pm

The Pop Kids makes my top thirty-something, but there's nothing else worthy of that accolade. I like Super for its effervescent quirkiness, but it's up against a phenomenal back catalogue - easily the greatest in pop history.

No other pop band of genius has lasted as long as this (with the acknowledged exception of the Bee Gees - and much of their stuff is folk rock). Abba had eight years, as did The Beatles. Neil and Chris have been producing magic for 30 years now. The Pop Kids is glorious, and there's lots to love on Super, but their catalogue is just unparalleled. It's not a criticism of Super that it produces just one song worthy of inclusion in my personal list of their very best stuff. In the last four years alone, we've had Leaving, Vocal, Bourgeois, and The Pop Kids - all top-rank moments. And then you get into stuff like Together, Invisible, Thursday, etc.

I love people's enthusiasm for the new stuff, but the standards set are so ridiculously high that it is inevitable that only the odd exception can challenge the greatness that's gone before.

But they still pull it out every once in a while. They're utterly bankable. I'd not be hanging around if I felt that they were spent creatively. Every successive album burnishes the essential joy of their continued existence and they vindicate their presence at every turn.

At this point, they are eternal.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

panda magic

#4 Post by panda magic » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:07 am

I actually did make a PSB top 20 the other day (though I will refrain from posting it here since, like telling someone else the dream you had last night, no one is really as interested in your favorites list as you are.) "The Pop Kids" was the only thing that made the cut (though not in the top ten, mind you.) "Vocal" and "Invisible" were the other two more recent tracks on the list. I agree with Drico that the sheer weight of the back catalog is a tough act for the new stuff to follow, no matter how good it is. Also one can't deny the power of time and nostalgia, which has colored the appeal of much of the 80s and early 90s stuff for me. So it's hard to tell whether "Being Boring" is in the number one spot because a) it's objectively their best song or b) I listened to it a lot during the summer vacation to Europe in 1992 where I came to terms with being "a gay." (Deee-lite's second album also holds a special place in my heart for the same reason.)

Drico One

#5 Post by Drico One » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:12 am

panda magic wrote:I actually did make a PSB top 20 the other day (though I will refrain from posting it here since, like telling someone else the dream you had last night, no one is really as interested in your favorites list as you are.)
Oh, that's never stopped me.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

BrilliantPSB

#6 Post by BrilliantPSB » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 1:49 am

No, I wouldn't.
Neil Tennant has a great voice, Chris Lowe has great silence.

artistinmass

#7 Post by artistinmass » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:31 am

No, unfortunately not, not even in the top 20...the latest track that would break into the top ten ranking for me would probably be Vocal.

DJ Pat

#8 Post by DJ Pat » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:52 am

Not just yet, ask me in a month or so

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:29 am

"Burn" might find itself inching into my list...

DJ Pat

#10 Post by DJ Pat » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:51 am

I'm playing Inner Sanctum & inside a dream side by side sometimes

Greendrake

#11 Post by Greendrake » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:49 am

Yes. Undertow is definitely there now.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

Undertaker

#13 Post by Undertaker » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:21 pm

Nope but its one of the strongest albums throughout. Anything after Very has one or two duds, Super doesnt.

Glenny4

#14 Post by Glenny4 » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:12 pm

Of course.....The Dictator Decides.

Can only think of a Handful that would beat it....It's a classic, how can a classic not get in your top 10 :D

Bulldog

#15 Post by Bulldog » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:14 pm

Probably "Sad Robot World". The rest is pleasant as always but I'm afraid there's no "Inside a dream" unfortunately.