Not impressed by some of your comments

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ClyClyisBack

Not impressed by some of your comments

#1 Post by ClyClyisBack »

I do not post here often for various reasons and do not visit the place very much. This week, I did out of curiosity and was not impressed by some posters comments about their insatisfaction about the new Pet Shop Boys Super. Personally, I like it. I can't beleive the nasty comments of some about it. Be happy that PSB still release new material. How many bands from that era still does today ? For the ones that are not happy, try and do better if you can.

Also i read a comment about PSB being two old pensioners. That is so mean. Getting older is part of life and we, must of us, all will getting there someday.

Have a bit of respect at least, I am not impressed by some people here...
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

dynamobjornen

Re: Not impressed by some of your comments

#2 Post by dynamobjornen »

If you dont like some comments on here why dont you join in the discussion instead? Thats the way to make this a better place. Starting up a thread throwing accusations that is not linked to specific comments is not very constructive imho.
"Sometimes someone gets upset doesn't hear the laughter takes it as a threat".

Bulldog

#3 Post by Bulldog »

I don't think there were really nasty comments, rather sincere opinions that come from the familiarity we have matured with their beautiful music. I believe we're all immensely grateful of the happiness (no pun) they gave us throughout the years, but we know they're not perfect, like everyone else. After all it was a sharp, but spot-on review of Elysium that pushed them to bring out "more banging and lasers"...

Director Woody Allen once said he likes to bring out a new movie every year because he wants his movies to be like fine wine: if one year you didn't like the result, soon you'll have something else you might like a little or a lot more. That's a good approach, and I think it works for PSB and their own fans too. We're very lucky that they're so prolific, and even a so-so album is perfectly in the scheme of things, because heated discussion about something they released won't have to fulfill a 11-12 years gap between albums, and surely they'll come up next with something equally worth of discussion. Let's leave that nonsensical, perfectionist agony to Peter Gabriel, Kraftwerk, Metallica or Tears for Fears :mrgreen:

No Muscle Mary

#4 Post by No Muscle Mary »

Nice to see you here ClyCly.

I'm sure Neil and Chris are not impressed by some of the comments, but hey, you've gotta take the good with the bad. I like Super, a lot. I think anyone who doesn't look beyond the production is missing out on insightful lyrics and beautiful arrangements. Under a different producer, it would be a very different album. But for me, it's wonderful and I'm so appreciate that the boys are still putting out albums at all.

That said, the negative comments, I can see where they're coming from. For some people, this just isn't their cup of tea and they feel like they've missed out because there can only be a few more albums left in PSB's career and people see this as a missed opportunity. There has been a lot of build-up to the album and some people feel disappointed with it, and that's fair enough.

The only comments I don't like seeing on the forum are downright abusive ones, aimed at the boys or at other fans. And that doesn't happen too often, thankfully. But, you know, this is an online forum, not a fascist state, people are free to express themselves and long may that last.
Churlicious

NJTom

#5 Post by NJTom »

I think I may have been a bit harsh in my initial reaction to the album, there are a few good tracks, so it's worth the money and I bought it. Reminds me of my response to Bilingual .. maybe some nice b-sdies to save the day coming
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair."

Nickname

#6 Post by Nickname »

ClyClyisBack wrote:I do not post here often for various reasons and do not visit the place very much. This week, I did out of curiosity and was not impressed by some posters comments about their insatisfaction about the new Pet Shop Boys Super. Personally, I like it. I can't beleive the nasty comments of some about it. Be happy that PSB still release new material. How many bands from that era still does today ? For the ones that are not happy, try and do better if you can.

Also i read a comment about PSB being two old pensioners. That is so mean. Getting older is part of life and we, must of us, all will getting there someday.

All of us love Neil and Chris don't forget about that.

What do you expect?, we can say PSB is amazing, fantastic the best pop band from the universe but all of us know that and it'd be very boring.

And we were never being bored.

So sometimes we like to critize because the perfection doesn't exit but I don't tho.ink we are rude with them. I hope so.

Anyway, you can join us if you want.

Sandy Shaw

#7 Post by Sandy Shaw »

ClyClyisBack wrote: Also i read a comment about PSB being two old pensioners. That is so mean. Getting older is part of life and we, must of us, all will getting there someday.

It's sometimes saddens me to visit the Forum and I use it a lot and should be used to it. Members have been known to throw abuse at each other against the forum rules and sometimes can be sexist and ageist and even homophobic. The last thread about Forum etiquette was moved off-topic I think as it was a discussion mainly between two members, so I don't know how long this one will last here.
Welcome in any case! We live in exciting times as fans of the amazing Pet Shop Boys!
What's for supper?

NJTom

#8 Post by NJTom »

Are you suggesting that my less than stellar opinion of Bilingual is because it was Neil's coming out album, and I'm homophobic?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sandy Shaw

#9 Post by Sandy Shaw »

NJTom wrote:Are you suggesting that my less than stellar opinion of Bilingual is because it was Neil's coming out album, and I'm homophobic?
Not at all!
What's for supper?

NJTom

#10 Post by NJTom »

one of my fav PSB albums is Release, you should see the vitriol that one gets on here!

Sandy Shaw

#11 Post by Sandy Shaw »

NJTom wrote:one of my fav PSB albums is Release, you should see the vitriol that one gets on here!
I know. Don't even mention Disco 2!

Release is one of those albums that seemed to completely chime with my feelings at the time as I was dealing with a difficult bereavement. "Birthday boy" and "You choose" regularly had me in floods of tears. In the happy side of the equation, one of my friends encouraged me to go on some of the "uni tour" dates with her and they were really special.
What's for supper?

NJTom

#12 Post by NJTom »

You choose is especially beautiful .. we can all relate that to some time in our lives!

Sandy Shaw

#13 Post by Sandy Shaw »

We have veered away from the point of this thread, but at least we are being positive!
What's for supper?

ClyClyisBack

#14 Post by ClyClyisBack »

That is nice to see that some people have common sense. As some of you, I do not like all the tracks on the new album but I do understand that what's appeals to me doesn't necessarly appeal to another person. What I was unimpressed is the way that some people did comment. I was shocked at some posts and that's what made me respond.

By the way, I love Release too and have very beautiful songs. The packaging is awesome as well. I love the samurai in automn, Here and love is a catastrophe. But some people have to understand that you can't stay in a certain box. It's called evolution. Behaviour 2 or a Very 2 won't never happen because they do not have the same age and also the times and life is not the same as it was back in the late 80's, early 90's.

I do not like everything they do (I don't like Disco 2 and the sound of the atom splitting) and I can understand some critics when it's done in a good maneer.

Cheers and have a good day,

Cly xxx
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

joncool5

#15 Post by joncool5 »

I think "Super" is an absolute corker of an album but at the same time I think "Nightlife" is below par for their high standards. Surely if somebody isn't impressed by an element of Neil and Chris' work they should be entitled to voice that though?
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON