Burn is quite good, isn't it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MorganGrrl

Re: Burn is quite good, isn't it?

#31 Post by MorganGrrl » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 4:31 am

If Burn isn't a single, it will be a travesty. Best track on the album by far.
Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of being a good camper. So, murder and camping are not as similar as you might think. ~Jack Handey

invisible

#32 Post by invisible » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 7:42 am

Drico One wrote:he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.
oh, you. :naughty:

michael888

#33 Post by michael888 » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

Drico One wrote:I think Neil's falsetto on Burn is his best ever. They've double-tracked him, it seems, so he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.

Drico.
No. You don't say that about Before. You really don't.

Shopper

#34 Post by Shopper » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

BlueSwan wrote:I think we need a thread to properly assess the amazingness of this song.

0.00 - 0.31: Classic dance track buildup. Zero points for originality. 100 points for amazingness!

0.31 - 0.46: THAT brass hook, which I think is possibly a very slight nod to Propaganda's "P-Machinery". AMAZING. It also features TIMPANIES GALORE! Paninaro redux. Even more amazing!

0.46 - 1.01: Detuned bassline is introduced. OMFG!

1.02 - 1.17: The verse starts. Neil is sounding properly horny. PSB actually doing sexy and pulling it off. Finally after 30 years. Chris must be thrilled.

1.17: FAKE DISCO GUITARS!!!! Will there be no end to the amazingness?? The answer is NO!

1.19 - 1.48: We're gonna burn this disco down before the morning comes! YES WE ARE!! How can you not feel 17 again when listening to this?

1.49 - 2.03: Weird bit that for some reason was made into a snippet. Throwback to the Flourescent bassline. Still amazing!

2.03 - 2.35: You wanted some more detunery action. Well here it is. Dancefloors beware!

2.35 - 2.50: Say that verse was pretty delicious, why don't we have another and this time strip the music down to fully appreciate the extent of Neils lust for dirty sex while at the same time leaving you wanting for that massive chorus again. AMAZING!

2.50 - 3.29: We're gonna burn this disco down before the morning comes!!

3.30 - 3.54: WE'RE GONNA BURN THIS DISCO DOWN BEFORE THE MORNING COMES!!!!!

Honestly, this is their best song since The Way It Used To Be and just HAS to be a single. How I really want to hear this played at ridiculous volume on a dance floor.
:clap: brilliant Blueswan! do a similar review for all the tracks
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Drem

#35 Post by Drem » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

Your Funny Uncle wrote:
Drem wrote:
loveetc wrote:Yes for the music, not so much for the lyrics.
I think that both "Groovy" and "Burn" weren't intended as some sort of lyrical revelations to critics/listeners. They're both true-to-the-dancefloor party tunes and this time Neil decided to voice them in a more conventional way. As Drico rightfully mentioned, this can be either a satire or celebration, choose what you like. Give Neil a break and on the next album he will return with more clever rhymes and sophisticated lines with references to poets and politicians.
For me the great thing about PSB is that they can make great pop tunes that are also clever lyrically. It's not an either/or situation, and to me this song has pretty uninspired and clichéd lyrics. Satire? Maybe. Celebration? Possibly. In either case the lack of lyrical heft still lessens the impact of the track for me, despite the fact that I love the music.
Of course that's one of their most distinct features of Pet Shop Boys and everybody (including me) love and prefer that, but I think that people could be less critical because sometimes even genius lyricist would like to try something as much uncomplicated as possible. I'd like to draw a parallel (maybe not that appropriate, but anyway) with Sparks' "Lil' Beethoven" where lyrics of most songs essentially are nothing more than repeating of couple of lines. Nevertheless these songs are great.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Sandy Shaw

#36 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 1:43 pm

Drico One wrote:I think Neil's falsetto on Burn is his best ever. They've double-tracked him, it seems, so he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.

Drico.
Arguably Neil will always be gay, but never a granddad!
What's for supper?

psb-freak

#37 Post by psb-freak » Sun 03 Apr 2016, 5:19 pm

My favourite track from Super. I could listen to it all the time. :) You get really hooked when the chorus starts. It makes you want to dance.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

jrusher12

#38 Post by jrusher12 » Sun 03 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm

Fabulous track and with a hook that almost reminds me of Always on my mind.

Hillbilly

#39 Post by Hillbilly » Sun 03 Apr 2016, 10:52 pm

Very good! Definitely a single candidate.

D.J.

#40 Post by D.J. » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 2:01 am

jrusher12 wrote:Fabulous track and with a hook that almost reminds me of Always on my mind.
Yes it does! The hook is not quite the quality of Always On My Mind hook, but the drive of Burn is just fantastic! My favorite part is what comes at 0.46 - 1.01, what BlueSwan called "detuned bassline". I lose my mind everytime I hear that part! :lol: Makes me literally reach for the volume knob to turn the stereo louder than the max. :D
The way the song builds, that first minute and a half is incredible, a true masterwork. I hope one way or another Burn ends up on future PSB compilations. :wink:

One of the crowd

#41 Post by One of the crowd » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

Nightcrawler wrote:Yeah i like it too, i could see the boys play it live in a mash-up with "I Want a Lover". :)
Or "That's My Impression"
Fishing

boyjohn

#42 Post by boyjohn » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 6:46 pm

They played in on Radio 2 this morning, it sounds amazing with all the radio compression on it. But i can see why they would choose Undertow or Twenty-something for the singles, as they have more traditional song structures.

It's at 1:53:30 here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075fsdd
“I don't want to believe. I want to know.”
-Carl Sagan

Ghost within this house

#43 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 7:35 pm

One of the crowd wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:Yeah i like it too, i could see the boys play it live in a mash-up with "I Want a Lover". :)
Surely Why don't we live together?!!!

The basslines are almost identical.
Gunpoint has a firm voice

PETHEAD72

#44 Post by PETHEAD72 » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 7:37 pm

Great track...BUT,the stupid trumpet sound spoils it for me
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

One of the crowd

#45 Post by One of the crowd » Mon 04 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

Ghost within this house wrote:
One of the crowd wrote:
Surely Why don't we live together?!!!

The basslines are almost identical.
I keep singing the "do do do do do" bit from the TMI demo over the intro of Burn!!
Fishing