Burn is quite good, isn't it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Danimal

Re: Burn is quite good, isn't it?

#16 Post by Danimal » Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:21 pm

When first seeing the track times, I was disappointed that there weren't any extended mixes on this album. After hearing the album though, I think they made the right choice on all tracks EXCEPT Burn. Burn could easily go another two or three minutes. I hope they release a proper Electric/Introspective style extended mix and not just a bunch of mixes where some t**t samples the original and then proceeds to produce endless piles of aimless crap with them.

canveyboy

#17 Post by canveyboy » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 12:01 am

BlueSwan wrote:
0.31 - 0.46: THAT brass hook, which I think is possibly a very slight nod to Propaganda's "P-Machinery". AMAZING.
100% agree! That's the first thing I thought when I heard Burn - 'It's P-Machinery!'

It's a great track! :wink:
Its taken me all of my life to find you

FormerEnfantTerrible

#18 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 1:14 am

COMPLETELY agree with you, BlueSwan. Finally, a reasonable being around here! MUST be a single, and IT IS their most instant song since The Way It Used To Be. Does anyone else hear Paninaro's main synth (the one that sounds like an electric guitar) buried deep down the mix in Burn? Would make sense, since the timpani from that song is there, as well. It is with sadness, though, that I must say that this is the only song on Super that I REALLY like; I've been blasting it full-volume on repeat on my stereo since yesterday.

NOW MAKE IT A SINGLE, PLEASE! I can even imagine a music video for it, already.
Did You See Me Coming?

MikeyC

#19 Post by MikeyC » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:07 am

I mentioned this briefly in another thread, but I'm so glad (and excited!) that's there's an entire thread devoted to "Burn"... I feel like it's paying tribute to the sounds of gay nightlife post-disco, i.e. 1980 to 1981. A track that would totally be played at Fire Island dance parties in that era. Dark yet uplifting. 'Sleazy' yet fun and amazing. Makes me think of legendary venues of pre-AIDS New York debauchery, i.e. The Mineshaft, The Anvil, The Saint, Crisco Disco... (I'm too young for all of that, by the way, but I'm a passionate student of gay and dance music history!)

britboy

#20 Post by britboy » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

I have just managed to hear a full version of Burn via a video website, it sounds amazing, made me smile and brought a tear to my eye, I was taken back 30 years when I was a regular on the dance floor at Heaven in London. Brilliant stuff Guys !!

Drem

#21 Post by Drem » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:19 am

Danimal wrote:When first seeing the track times, I was disappointed that there weren't any extended mixes on this album. After hearing the album though, I think they made the right choice on all tracks EXCEPT Burn. Burn could easily go another two or three minutes. I hope they release a proper Electric/Introspective style extended mix and not just a bunch of mixes where some t**t samples the original and then proceeds to produce endless piles of aimless crap with them.
Absolutely agree with you. At least two tracks from "Super" - "Groovy" and "Burn", - should undisputedly have an extended versions, and there are few other tracks ("Undertow", "Say it to me", "Inner sanctum") that may be extended to even more greatness. Especially "Say it to me", as an album version of it fades out quite senselessly. Even "Pazzo!" may be improved by giving it additional lenght!
An "Extended" EP as final part of "Super" promotion cycle, after the final single from album released, could be a truly magnificient conclusion of era.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

minimal

#22 Post by minimal » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 11:28 am

Well, as I said, it's the most immediate track on Super IMHO. Would be a nice single, I guess.

m+

Henrik Powers

#23 Post by Henrik Powers » Thu 31 Mar 2016, 3:01 pm

grantwww wrote:This is quite possibly my favourite song on the album. Just begging to be played loud. :yeah:
Exactly, my favorite with Undertow!

303krs

#24 Post by 303krs » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:48 pm

It is indeed ! How loud is loud enough to play that bomb :lol: ?
"...Many roads will cross through many lives
but somehow you survive..."

East End Bhoy

#25 Post by East End Bhoy » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

303krs wrote:It is indeed ! How loud is loud enough to play that bomb :lol: ?
Turn it up to 11. :wink:

I am just about to...
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow

loveetc

#26 Post by loveetc » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 10:50 pm

Yes for the music, not so much for the lyrics.

Drem

#27 Post by Drem » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

loveetc wrote:Yes for the music, not so much for the lyrics.
I think that both "Groovy" and "Burn" weren't intended as some sort of lyrical revelations to critics/listeners. They're both true-to-the-dancefloor party tunes and this time Neil decided to voice them in a more conventional way. As Drico rightfully mentioned, this can be either a satire or celebration, choose what you like. Give Neil a break and on the next album he will return with more clever rhymes and sophisticated lines with references to poets and politicians.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Your Funny Uncle

#28 Post by Your Funny Uncle » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 12:28 am

Drem wrote:
loveetc wrote:Yes for the music, not so much for the lyrics.
I think that both "Groovy" and "Burn" weren't intended as some sort of lyrical revelations to critics/listeners. They're both true-to-the-dancefloor party tunes and this time Neil decided to voice them in a more conventional way. As Drico rightfully mentioned, this can be either a satire or celebration, choose what you like. Give Neil a break and on the next album he will return with more clever rhymes and sophisticated lines with references to poets and politicians.
For me the great thing about PSB is that they can make great pop tunes that are also clever lyrically. It's not an either/or situation, and to me this song has pretty uninspired and clichéd lyrics. Satire? Maybe. Celebration? Possibly. In either case the lack of lyrical heft still lessens the impact of the track for me, despite the fact that I love the music.
We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands. The loom of time and space works the most astonishing transformations of matter. We are a way for the universe to know itself.

Drico One

#29 Post by Drico One » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 12:35 am

I think Neil's falsetto on Burn is his best ever. They've double-tracked him, it seems, so he sounds like a proper pop star rather than the strained, horribly out of key gay granddad of Before.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Blogo

#30 Post by Blogo » Sat 02 Apr 2016, 1:18 am

Burn is my favourite from the album at the moment. I love how urgent and frantic it sounds when the brass kicks in at 0.30. Neil sounds great on it, agree with Drico. Double tracked Neil sounds very good. All in all a very good 9/10.

Well done to all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen without prejudice