Super Press Reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Drico One

Re: Super Press Reviews

#31 Post by Drico One »

I don't know what you mean, Soak. Are there professional reviews out there to justify a thread? If you think so, fire away. Feel free. I've seen a couple of blog-type reviews of the single - and the usual Popjustice imprimatur - but not much else. If you think it's worth it, you don't need my blessing...

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Old Soak

#32 Post by Old Soak »

Drico One wrote:I don't know what you mean, Soak. Are there professional reviews out there to justify a thread? If you think so, fire away. Feel free. I've seen a couple of blog-type reviews of the single - and the usual Popjustice imprimatur - but not much else. If you think it's worth it, you don't need my blessing...

Drico.
No reviews as far as I'm aware, but caught between this thread which does an excellent job for capturing Super reviews and producing an annoying unappreciated one (see Nickname comments). I would be surprised if none appear for the likes of Popjustice,the BBC or NME.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

rashomon

#33 Post by rashomon »

Idoles Mag

Another review courtesy of Google Translate ... they seem to love it ... something about buttocks in there though :shock:

http://www.idolesmag.com/article-5584-P ... Super.html

The Pet Shop Boys will release their new album, "Super", on April 1.

Great ! The Pop Kids are back with a thirteenth album that will delight some nostalgic and - above all - will, once again, move the most recalcitrant buttocks! Taking Neil and his partner Chris Lowe take, for thirty years now, the infallible recipe for this electro-pop-new-wave chiaroscuro that wreaks havoc with the advent of synths in the 80 Qu ' it is far time to "West End Girls"! Yet it seems that it is yesterday, as the title is emblematic of an entire era. "It's a sin," "Go West" and others will follow and will build the legend of the group. No need to return to this faultless, almost.

A handful of years and albums later, the duo returns with "Super", an album once again great when he renews his art brilliantly. The program of "Super" and elThe music of Pet Shop remains the music of Pet Shop. We love or hate. We, we love it! This music has in any case made no wrinkles. And in this regard, some may be able to say however that "Super" (like "Electric" and previous) album is dated. Dated does not seem the right word. Part of a movement, yes, but it is not temporality here. And finally, given the poverty of the current musical landscape (made almost exclusively of times), is it not better to create original songs with an expertise and a unique experience of simply adapt old favorites? The question needs to be asked.ectro, new wave, synthpop of some groovy rhythms ... In short, nothing new, but the Pet Shop hardcore, as we like. And above all, a collection of twelve songs that we put the devil on first listen. Some intros are also falling, such as' Twenty-Something, "the third track, planing and both doping. And as usual, the purpose of certain securities is much deeper than it seems ( "The Dictator Decides", "" Sad Robot World "...)

The music of Pet Shop remains the music of Pet Shop. We love or hate. We, we love it! This music has in any case made no wrinkles. And in this regard, some may be able to say however that "Super" (like "Electric" and previous) album is dated. Dated does not seem the right word. Part of a movement, yes, but it is not temporality here. And finally, given the poverty of the current musical landscape (made almost exclusively of times), is it not better to create original songs with an expertise and a unique experience of simply adapt old favorites? The question needs to be asked.

"Super" thus officially released on April 1. In addition to a digital edition and CD, it will benefit from a vinyl edition. The release of this album will be preceded by that of a CD maxi "The Pop Kids," the first single, including Radio Edit title, two remixes (the "PSB deep dub" and "The Full Story" with additional lyrics) and two B-Sides ( "in bits" and "One-hit wonder"). Changing formats allows us to have two B-Sides, do not spoil our fun ... An exclusive digital edition of "The Pop Kids" will also be published on March 18, including a remix of Offer Nassim both MK and a final PSB themselves (the "deep dub" in his radio edit versions.

Finally, note also that the Pet Shop will occur for four exceptional performances (Inner Sanctum Show) from 20 to 23 July next at the Royal Opera House in London (a show directed by Es Devlin and choreographed by Lynne Page). These shows are obviously sold out for some time, we can only hope that European tour will follow. Meanwhile, there is a rush on April 1 on "Super" and savor the moment.

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Kobalt Blew

#34 Post by Kobalt Blew »

7/10 in Uncut
Attachments
Uncut 2016.jpg
Uncut 2016.jpg (419.76 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
previously Parlophoney.

drunk14

#35 Post by drunk14 »

So as I expected, bigger titles are more critical than gay/80's music dedicated titles. Rather lukewarm reception.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

NikacP0kac

#36 Post by NikacP0kac »

drunk14 wrote:So as I expected, bigger titles are more critical than gay/80's music dedicated titles. Rather lukewarm reception.
Doesn't mean absolutely anything. Bigger titles are mainly favourable towards some mainstream pop darlings or someone who scratches their back. I like reviews but they never cloud my judgment, I just read them as a taster of what's to come.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Zog

#37 Post by Zog »

rashomon wrote:Idoles Mag

Another review courtesy of Google Translate ... they seem to love it ... something about buttocks in there though :shock:

http://www.idolesmag.com/article-5584-P ... Super.html

The Pet Shop Boys will release their new album, "Super", on April 1.

Great ! The Pop Kids are back with a thirteenth album that will delight some nostalgic and - above all - will, once again, move the most recalcitrant buttocks! Taking Neil and his partner Chris Lowe take, for thirty years now, the infallible recipe for this electro-pop-new-wave chiaroscuro that wreaks havoc with the advent of synths in the 80 Qu ' it is far time to "West End Girls"! Yet it seems that it is yesterday, as the title is emblematic of an entire era. "It's a sin," "Go West" and others will follow and will build the legend of the group. No need to return to this faultless, almost.

A handful of years and albums later, the duo returns with "Super", an album once again great when he renews his art brilliantly. The program of "Super" and elThe music of Pet Shop remains the music of Pet Shop. We love or hate. We, we love it! This music has in any case made no wrinkles. And in this regard, some may be able to say however that "Super" (like "Electric" and previous) album is dated. Dated does not seem the right word. Part of a movement, yes, but it is not temporality here. And finally, given the poverty of the current musical landscape (made almost exclusively of times), is it not better to create original songs with an expertise and a unique experience of simply adapt old favorites? The question needs to be asked.ectro, new wave, synthpop of some groovy rhythms ... In short, nothing new, but the Pet Shop hardcore, as we like. And above all, a collection of twelve songs that we put the devil on first listen. Some intros are also falling, such as' Twenty-Something, "the third track, planing and both doping. And as usual, the purpose of certain securities is much deeper than it seems ( "The Dictator Decides", "" Sad Robot World "...)

The music of Pet Shop remains the music of Pet Shop. We love or hate. We, we love it! This music has in any case made no wrinkles. And in this regard, some may be able to say however that "Super" (like "Electric" and previous) album is dated. Dated does not seem the right word. Part of a movement, yes, but it is not temporality here. And finally, given the poverty of the current musical landscape (made almost exclusively of times), is it not better to create original songs with an expertise and a unique experience of simply adapt old favorites? The question needs to be asked.

"Super" thus officially released on April 1. In addition to a digital edition and CD, it will benefit from a vinyl edition. The release of this album will be preceded by that of a CD maxi "The Pop Kids," the first single, including Radio Edit title, two remixes (the "PSB deep dub" and "The Full Story" with additional lyrics) and two B-Sides ( "in bits" and "One-hit wonder"). Changing formats allows us to have two B-Sides, do not spoil our fun ... An exclusive digital edition of "The Pop Kids" will also be published on March 18, including a remix of Offer Nassim both MK and a final PSB themselves (the "deep dub" in his radio edit versions.

Finally, note also that the Pet Shop will occur for four exceptional performances (Inner Sanctum Show) from 20 to 23 July next at the Royal Opera House in London (a show directed by Es Devlin and choreographed by Lynne Page). These shows are obviously sold out for some time, we can only hope that European tour will follow. Meanwhile, there is a rush on April 1 on "Super" and savor the moment.

Thanks, the translation looks like it needs to run through a code-breaker!

Seriously though, thanks :)

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

ZiggyPSB

#38 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Zog wrote:
Thanks, the translation looks like it needs to run through a code-breaker!

Seriously though, thanks :)

-Zog
We need Alan Turing and Tommy Flowers Collossus machine.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

jasonjohn

#39 Post by jasonjohn »

drunk14 wrote:So as I expected, bigger titles are more critical than gay/80's music dedicated titles. Rather lukewarm reception.
Why post that immediately after a decent uncut review, lol.

I like how they appreciated the slower tracks.

Ghost within this house

#40 Post by Ghost within this house »

Yes, we'd all like to get to the bottom of recalcitrant buttocks.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

drunk14

#41 Post by drunk14 »

7/10 is not an impressive score. These days, especially in music press, there is something I call "inflation of rating". People seem to mindlessly call one in five albums a masterpiece. Columns are full of 9/10 and 10/10 reviews which eventually say nothing exctited about mediocre records. 20 years ago Uncut could give Super 4/10 and it would be somehow remarkable. Today their 7/10 is a diplomatic "no, please next". Of course that's just my impresssion.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

King1968

#42 Post by King1968 »

I have a good friend who works for Q Magazine,we met up for a few drinks Saturday evening and she told me she had listened to super and Really liked what she heard can't go into more detail as I can't remember all her opinion but said she loves Burn ,She also said she prefers Super to Electric.
Last edited by King1968 on Mon 21 Mar 2016, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Effen Vida

#43 Post by Effen Vida »

King1968 wrote:I have a good friend who works for Q Magazine,we met up for a few drinks Saturday evening and he told me he had listened to super and Really liked what he heard can't go into more detail as I can't remember all her opinion but said he loves Burn ,She also said she prefers Super to Electric.
Cool. Great to hear they both like it. Her and him.

King1968

#44 Post by King1968 »

Definitely a her predicted text strikes again,just to confirm she definitely liked Super a lot and said I won't be disappointed.

King1968

#45 Post by King1968 »

Predicted text strikes again, Just to confirm my friend is a she,She also likes Undertow and said in general Super is a uplifting album.