Super Press Reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
rashomon

Re: Super Press Reviews

#211 Post by rashomon »

Evening Standard 4/5

Pet Shop Quo Image
uploadfromtaptalk1459519346107.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459519346107.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

joncool5

#212 Post by joncool5 »

"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Drem

#213 Post by Drem »

http://www.examiner.com/review/pet-shop ... lbum-super
“Super” is the electronic duo’s 13 album and virtually every track is filled with intricate layers of beauty.
All in all, 'Super' is a pretty solid album from a seasoned duo, and with the first single The Pop Kids already getting the remix treatment, you can be sure that you will be hearing this album at clubs for years to come.
4/5
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Drico One

#214 Post by Drico One »

Updated the opening page with a pile of reviews - will add more when the tidal wave subsides.

The Musikexpress.de review is now added (We had only the rating before now).

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

y3potential

#215 Post by y3potential »

PSB as the 'Status Quo' of Electro Synth Pop.. I think the comparison would both horrify and amuse Neil & Chris in equal measure.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

daveid

#216 Post by daveid »

y3potential wrote:PSB as the 'Status Quo' of Electro Synth Pop.. I think the comparison would both horrify and amuse Neil & Chris in equal measure.
Hilarious. I'm both horrified and amused too. It's the low-hanging fruit of music journalism rhetoric of course. Obvious therefore pathetic yet clearly amusing that no one has said it before - at least to my knowledge. I'm certain Chris will find it hilarious

alig

#217 Post by alig »

Can't believe NME haven't reviewed it yet, nor allmusic. What are they doing?
"John 3:16."

Brasa

#218 Post by Brasa »

Rumore, Italian indie magazine 7/10
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

CroMagnon

#219 Post by CroMagnon »

Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

joncool5

#220 Post by joncool5 »

alig wrote:Can't believe NME haven't reviewed it yet, nor allmusic. What are they doing?
NME gave it 3/5 and about 2 lines of coverage, it was in steady decline for years but it's become a shocking paper since it went free
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

joe stalin

#221 Post by joe stalin »

joncool5 wrote:
alig wrote:Can't believe NME haven't reviewed it yet, nor allmusic. What are they doing?
NME gave it 3/5 and about 2 lines of coverage, it was in steady decline for years but it's become a shocking paper since it went free
Overly generous (of them) on both counts, to some extent

joe stalin

#222 Post by joe stalin »

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/cd ... boys-super

...... 'But even given all that, quite what they're doing starting an album with “Happiness”, a hokey country and western hoedown mixed into the thumping EDM of modern American raves – sounding like Major Lazer going crazy on the chewin' tobacco – is quite a puzzler.

....Whatever, it's a very horrible start to an album that otherwise shows them just as they've been for a very long time: still capable of heartbreaking beauty among the layers of inscrutability.'

Drem

#223 Post by Drem »

Financial Times, 3/5
The Pet Shop Boys have always been half in love with the glittering, brittle world that they skewer in their songs.

This nuanced viewpoint, both gimlet and starry eyed, explains Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant’s durability, still relevant long after their more two-dimensional peers have been consigned to the 1980s nostalgia circuit.

Super re-teams them with producer Stuart Price, who helmed 2013’s Electric.

Moments of disco autopilot such as “Groovy” ensure it is not quite as sprightly as its predecessor, but the best tracks are fascinating exercises in dance-pop ambiguity.

“Twenty-something”, a dynamic number about a young hustler in “a decadent city at a time of greed”, is a worthy descendant to the bright young things in “West End Girls”.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3a3ebe14-f613 ... 7d132.html
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Drico One

#224 Post by Drico One »

Typical of the Financial Times to highlight the one song about greed. They must have seen themselves through that track's glassy facades and shiny window panes.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Effen Vida

#225 Post by Effen Vida »

No Andy Gill review, it seems? Is this down to the fact that the Independent is now online only?