The Pop Kids 12" vinyl

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
ZiggyPSB

Re: The Pop Kids 12" vinyl

#61 Post by ZiggyPSB »

The whole business of PSB's place in the club scene is very hard to understand unless you're doing this for a living. People like Remark. I can't tell which club act is influenced by PSB without them actually saying so. Most people say they've been influenced by a particular act, even Kanye West say he was influenced by David Bowie and Bowie fans find that hard to believe.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

joncool5

#62 Post by joncool5 »

It's not on the list of Record Store Day releases.
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Maverick

#63 Post by Maverick »

Awesome remix by Offer Nissim. Sharp, uplifting with great oomph!
"If Yes were a people, Legacy would be genocide."

Drico

raggatwin

#64 Post by raggatwin »

boyjohn wrote:I think they fall in the middle somewhat. They are influenced by (sometimes obscure or not that well known) things, and then by getting it out to a larger audience they also influence others. I think you could put the Beatles in that category too.
They are certainly influential in terms of the mainstream, the underground, i don't think so.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Remark

#65 Post by Remark »

Maverick wrote:Awesome remix by Offer Nissim. Sharp, uplifting with great oomph!
THANK YOU Maverick for confirming this!
raggatwin wrote:They are certainly influential in terms of the mainstream, the underground, i don't think so.
Raggatwin please share your thoughts on club music these days. What remixers do you follow? Who is currently influencing? Who is 'influencing the underground'? Very curious as to your perspectives on this.

Still shocked that this forum can't seem to get excited about the fact that in 2016 we have a mix of a Pet Shop Boys track that is packing a dancefloor. Even if completely gay/circuity, it's simultaneously completely contemporary and completely relevant. :roll: :roll:

ZiggyPSB

#66 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Quick survey.

How many people here own a dance club, play the music or still attend dance clubs? Keep 'em up while I count. I'm sure a full dancefloor is good for some people. What makes a remix of a Pet Shop Boys song stand out other than the fact this is a Pet Shop Boys forum and there is a bias towards that?

I'm getting the impression Pet Shop Boys are solely responsible for getting clubbing where it is today and that (as remarked above) they're still at the cutting edge. I guess we should be thankful that PSB song remixes, instead of merely packing a dancefloor, is keeping the dancefloor full and not make people leave.

I've been to a few discos in my time. School discos in my childhood and recently in wedding party discos. Back in school I don't know if they played Pet Shop Boys because I never heard of them (except obliviously on that one episode of Only Fools and Horses). They may not have been played at all anyway. Wedding discos, for as long as I attended, didn't play PSB at all. And even if they did when I wasn't listening it wouldn't be remixes. Wouldn't even be new songs it'd be old original classics like Always on my mind.

If I like a remix of a PSB song, like Ulrich Schnaus Memory of the future, or hate it like Claptone's Love is a bourgeois construct, that's it that's where it ends. I don't care whether its relevant or not. It doesn't do me any benefit if it is. If you are dancing in a club and one song after another (if one of those is PSB) keeps you dancing, great! A PSB remix may not be relevant and people would still be dancing. I don't think PSB need to worry, they've been in the game for 30 years.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

jdanicolaisen

#67 Post by jdanicolaisen »

joncool5 wrote:It's not on the list of Record Store Day releases.
Thanks for pointing that out - should've checked it out myself.
I only wanted something else to do but hang around

NotInvisible

#68 Post by NotInvisible »

Remark wrote:Just curious as to what you qualify as a 'good' remix? Interested to know.
I liked the Andrew Dawson mixes of Winner and Leaving. Going further back, the KLF mix of So Hard is sublime, and I adore the Jam & Spoon mix of Young Offender. I tend to like mixes that provide new soundscapes - especially moody ones - while preserving the essence of the song - the Rollo mix of Can you forgive her? is another good example. I'm glad they do the clubby mixes for the people who enjoy them, but most of them don't seem to hold up as listening experiences outside of a club setting. '80s style extended mixes usually bore me senseless as well.

But then I've always been drawn to the darker, moodier, iconoclastic side of the Pet Shop Boys. Transforming them into an identikit set of beats that can seamlessly blend into the flavor of the day vaguely feels like missing the point to me.

coufy

#69 Post by coufy »

Pet Shop Boys will release a remix package of “The Pop Kids” on March 18th. Available via digital formats only??? from OS. No mention about 12". No mention about Scene Kings remix.
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

grantwww

#70 Post by grantwww »

The remix package can be pre-ordered on iTunes now.

1. Offer Nissim Drama Mix 6:31
2. MK Dub Radio Edit 3:34
3. PSB Deep Dub Radio Edit 3:19
4. MK Dub 7:17

NikacP0kac

#71 Post by NikacP0kac »

Seems like they'll continue the Electric release strategy and have two sets for every single (an EP and a Remixes EP). That hopefully means we're getting at least 4 more B-sides (2 on each single) together with In Bits and One-Hit Wonder. Great!

P.S. Also love how this looks in my library, the single succeeded with the (Remixes) version together with the contrasting album art.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

user29

#72 Post by user29 »

So....is there a 12" vinyl...?
Now, my head is spinning....
http://www.last.fm/user/pologeezer

Disco.

#73 Post by Disco. »

Most likely...

user29

#74 Post by user29 »

any sources ?
Now, my head is spinning....
http://www.last.fm/user/pologeezer

Drem

#75 Post by Drem »

user29 wrote:So....is there a 12" vinyl...?
I guess there will be a simultaneous release of all "Super" singles on vynil late this year / early next year, like it was with "Electric".
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)