Countdown to The Pop Kids

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
jasonjohn
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#436 Post by jasonjohn »

Only just heard it.
  • :dance:
  • The simplicity/jarring lyrics works well for me... its a raw retro 90s house track. Hearts on sleeve stuff.
  • "I want to wake up" could of been the B-side. Kitchen sink.
  • Relived it's more PSB than Price. Very. Worth it.
  • The type of track Electronic might of made had they become the "super" group some hoped for.
  • Elation in the house piano makes up for everything.
  • They've gone for the jugular here. Sharp and direct. Having outlived many of their contemporaries, they are returning to some old ground for the joy of it.
  • The "How wrong we were" rap could of been spoken by Allan Partridge.
  • I love you!

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#437 Post by Patrick Bateman »

ZiggyPSB wrote:Its a mystery since Parkol claims they won't share any links and then suddenly a great influx of people hearing it, and yet others are claiming they can't find it anywhere on the internet.
That's the dark web for you.

User avatar
minimal
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#438 Post by minimal »

jasonjohn wrote: [*] The type of track Electronic might of made had they become the "super" group some hoped for.

Thankfully, they then have not become the super group you and others intended. Each and every track on Electronic sounds better than The Pop Kids does. The tracks on Electronic are inspiring, different and original, c.f. Reality, Tighten Up, Get the Message to name but a few. I don't really understand where all these Electronic comparisons and so-called references are coming from.

Also, The Pop Kids kind of captures the sound of the mid-90, i.e. the time of Bilingual. It's got little to do with Very. Quite ironically, in 1996 this would have been one of their b-sides!

m+

spacewalker
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#439 Post by spacewalker »

minimal wrote: I don't really understand where all these Electronic comparisons and so-called references are coming from.
Me too, but at least those comparisons made me remember "Disappointed" and listen to it for the first time in many years. I realized how much I loved and still love this brilliant song. Right after that I tried to listen to "The Pop Kids" and just couldn't get to its end - turn it off in the first minute :lol: .

User avatar
Kermit
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 2:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#440 Post by Kermit »

Gee, took me one day to find online, I'm getting old...

It sounds totally pet shop boys to me, classic Chris bass-line. I can totally hear the disappointed references, especially with the 'electic bells' in the middle and house piano hook (which sounds a bit stale). The chord progression in the verses is a bit boring. Overall I'm not that excited.

One of the crowd
Posts: 4542
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#441 Post by One of the crowd »

Kermit wrote:Gee, took me one day to find online, I'm getting old...

It sounds totally pet shop boys to me, classic Chris bass-line. I can totally hear the disappointed references, especially with the 'electic bells' in the middle and house piano hook (which sounds a bit stale). The chord progression in the verses is a bit boring. Overall I'm not that excited.
The piano hook sounds like Bizarre Inc's Playing With Knives/Blue Pearl's Can You Feel The Passion?
Fishing

User avatar
canveyboy
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#442 Post by canveyboy »

To Remark.......

Again this is a misguided statement. When Vocal was released, Armin Van Buuren played it out several times. As for other tracks (Tensnake's mix of Thursday, and Claptone's mix of Love is a Bourgeois Construct, for example) I've heard out in forward-thinking underground clubs. Where are you going?



Lol, I don't go anywhere my friend, I'm 44 and married with 5 kids - my club days are well over! ;)


A fine debate indeed - as always ;)

Cheers
Last edited by canveyboy on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Its taken me all of my life to find you

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#443 Post by daveid »

le petit corbusier wrote:https://youtu.be/Re4aDJL3heA

Am I the only one to notice?
No you're not. The piano chords are almost identical. I was half expecting John Barnes to start rapping

User avatar
Remark
Posts: 868
Joined: Fri 23 Jun 2006, 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#444 Post by Remark »

canveyboy wrote:Lol, I don't go anywhere my friend, I'm 44 and married with 5 kids - my club days are well over! ;)
:lol: :lol:

Well played sir!

User avatar
stussyboy
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri 31 Oct 2003, 11:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#445 Post by stussyboy »

I've yet to hear it. Not as connected as I once was, obviously!

The various reactions have whetted my appetite nicely.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Nickname
Posts: 6234
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#446 Post by Nickname »

canveyboy wrote:To Remark.......

Again this is a misguided statement. When Vocal was released, Armin Van Buuren played it out several times. As for other tracks (Tensnake's mix of Thursday, and Claptone's mix of Love is a Bourgeois Construct, for example) I've heard out in forward-thinking underground clubs. Where are you going?



Lol, I don't go anywhere my friend, I'm 44 and married with 5 kids - my club days are well over! ;)

¿Five?, oh my god. Your house is a kindergarten. If you play them PSB, the PSB fanbase is going to increase.

User avatar
canveyboy
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 11:38 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#447 Post by canveyboy »

nickname wrote:
canveyboy wrote:To Remark.......

Again this is a misguided statement. When Vocal was released, Armin Van Buuren played it out several times. As for other tracks (Tensnake's mix of Thursday, and Claptone's mix of Love is a Bourgeois Construct, for example) I've heard out in forward-thinking underground clubs. Where are you going?



Lol, I don't go anywhere my friend, I'm 44 and married with 5 kids - my club days are well over! ;)

¿Five?, oh my god. Your house is a kindergarten. If you play them PSB, the PSB fanbase is going to increase.
Yeah my 11 year old daughter loves 'Love etc', 'All over the world', 'Did you see me coming', and she learnt the whole rap section of 'Thursday', she loved that song! And my 5 year old son loves the 1984 version of 'One More Chance', lol....he runs through the lounge shouting 'give me one more, one more chaaaannnccceeee'.... haha
Its taken me all of my life to find you

User avatar
jasonjohn
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#448 Post by jasonjohn »

minimal wrote:Thankfully, they then have not become the super group you and others intended. Each and every track on Electronic sounds better than The Pop Kids does.
Oh I agree. Just saying the heart-on-sleeve thematics harps back to earlier stuff.

minimal wrote:The tracks on Electronic are inspiring, different and original, c.f. Reality, Tighten Up, Get the Message to name but a few. I don't really understand where all these Electronic comparisons and so-called references are coming from.
Bernard could easily sing Pop kids. Except he probably wouldn't because it's quite a positive song.

Agree all those tracks are terrific. Pop kids is more sugary and less adult than anything on Electronic. Different yes. But they've rewound in that direction, rather than being Price-modern.
minimal wrote:Also, The Pop Kids kind of captures the sound of the mid-90, i.e. the time of Bilingual. It's got little to do with Very. Quite ironically, in 1996 this would have been one of their b-sides!
Yeah. I could easily listen to half of Alternative as an actual album. Sometimes I wish they kept some of those gems in a drawer for a later effort.

romy
Posts: 463
Joined: Thu 28 Jun 2012, 8:45 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#449 Post by romy »

a lot of people said,it sounds like "falling".is it so,or like which single sounds at most.

is it to dance?more fox or more disco?

a catchy melody?

better than a single from electric?

Edited by moderators. Warning issued.

User avatar
jasonjohn
Posts: 2049
Joined: Mon 27 Sep 2004, 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#450 Post by jasonjohn »

romy wrote:better than a single from electric?
Well there's a loaded question. Since Electric's strength wasn't the single format :)

I'd rate it behind Construct, even though Construct didn't quite get a decent single mix.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests