Countdown to The Pop Kids

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
invisible

Re: Countdown to The Pop Kids

#421 Post by invisible »

I've given it 35 plays and slept on it, and my reaction to it remains :dance: :D

Not to distract from the all-important It's great! It's crap! It's not It's a sin! arguments, but I have a question:

Anyone here listen to Radio 2? Is this going to get any airplay? It seems lyrically aimed at what I assume is Radio 2's demographic, but musically will it fit? I tried listening to their playlists on youtube, but I got depressed and had to stop.

glennjridge

#422 Post by glennjridge »

I think the Pet Shop Boys tend to release songs that they think are the obvious singles....But alot of times it turns out my favorite songs on their albums have been the ones that are quirky or not hit sounding by conventional means. I think thats why most times I dont like the lead singles.....well except this time I love pop kids

Disco.

#423 Post by Disco. »

canveyboy wrote:As great as some people think TPK is, it simply cannot stand alongside greats such as Being Boring, Love Comes Quickly, It's a Sin, Rent, Left to my own devices, Heart, A Red Letter Day, Memory of the Future, Thursday etc etc.....and it has nothing to do with me being stuck in the past, it's just that to me, those songs are what a good PSB pop song sound like. In my opinion. Not this dated, 90s, club, trance, tuneless song. If I wanted to listen to trance I'd listen to Above & Beyond....God forbid.
They did a brilliant mix of Madonnas "What it feels like for a girl" :D

boyjohn

#424 Post by boyjohn »

Like it or not, not sure how someone could say it's "tuneless", the thing is full of great melodies.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Parkol

#425 Post by Parkol »

I don't remember that I was listening Can you forgive, Vocal, Love Etc, I'm with stupid, H&D or Before so often.

I compare The Pop Kids as the lead single with Was It Worth it? from Discography or Absolutely Fabulous from Disco 2. It's 100% Pet Shop Boys hit.
Ab Fab began with the hook from the start.

canveyboy

#426 Post by canveyboy »

Remark wrote:
nickname wrote:When so many fans feel disappointed here with "Inner Sanctum" and "The Love Kids" is because of something.. I'm not the only one.
Disappointment has nothing to do with the PSB's relevance today. I'm generalizing here but it seems most fans who are disappointed with current PSB stuff are still swimming in their imperial age fame and not really paying attention to what's going on musically currently, especially with producers, remixers, and electronica.
Good evening - just so we're on the same page, I am not still swimming in their imperial phase output. Yes, I became a fan in 1986 and yes I love all the old records but I'm a PSB purist all the way through and I have supported all of their releases to date and I listen to Electric as often as I put on Actually for a spin. I think you are wrong when you say it's because people are 'not really paying attention to what's going on musically'. I have never concentrated on or concerned myself with whatever is current and happening in the music scene - I don't care and it's never stopped me from discovering new bands or music, thus I don't care what is current in the club scene and I don't see how that bears any relevance in my appreciation of their music. By their own admission they have never been current and never will be. They've never been played in clubs and never will be and they certainly are not pursuing this direction now with a hope to being played 'in the clubs'. I didn't get into PSB because they were current or cool in 1986, I got into them because I love electronic synth pop. That is why I fell in love with them all those years ago. And I can safely say that TPK and IS are NOT electronic synth pop and anyone who thinks it is are kidding themselves. This is not how I like my PSB and I don't need to know what's happening in dj culture to know that.

Regards
A fellow PSB friend
Its taken me all of my life to find you

joncool5

#427 Post by joncool5 »

Anyone who thinks this is perfect will soon realise that they are caught up in a tide of excitement. It's actually rather quite good, my main issue is that some of the lyrics in the verses seem a bit forced and not effortless, but credit to the chorus which is very catchy. It's almost trying a bit too hard to be clever and it's concept for song first and then lets fit the theme in somehow. Still better than most of "Elysium", but a far cry from the quality of its standout moment "Leaving".
"In the North-west it rains and it rains. And yet we managed to produce the industrial revolution, trade union movement, the Communist Manifesto and even the goddam computer. Down south, where the sun never sets, you took all our money and what did you produce? Chas and f**king Dave." TONY WILSON

Nickname

#428 Post by Nickname »

Undertaker wrote:
nickname wrote:
Because we are PSB fans. But "Inner Sanctum" is nothing special, you can even listen to it going out and think it's nothing different from many other tracks you can listen one night in a club. If you didn't know it is a PSB record listening to Neil's voice, many of you wouldn't pay attention to it.
Well obviously. Jesus wept. If Dizzy Rascal released Love etc we'd ignore it. Whats your point? Is there one? You judge songs based on chart position. Youre the last one who should start telling people how it is.

Of course the quality isnt the same as 1987. How on earth can that standard be kept up? 85-93 was arguably one of the greatest musical periods of any artist ever. Thats why most of us are still here. Its impossible to keep that quality up. Even so, Fundamental (2006) and Yes (2009) are also two albums that must rank highly in a lot of fans' lists. I'd also say that if Love etc and Bourgeois were released in 1988, they'd have been number one for weeks. Just as Its a Sin would have been 72 if it were released now.

You judge too much music based on chart positions.

I dont think The Pop Kids is really a single but it doesnt matter if there is a Devices on Super, it aint going to be top 40.
It doesn't matter if it is going to be a Top 40 or not, the thing is this song is not single material. "Vocal" wasn't too.

"Thursday" was single material.

Disco.

#429 Post by Disco. »

I just want them too make the music they want too make, they can NEVER please everyone anyway.

leesmapman

#430 Post by leesmapman »

Disco. wrote:I just want them too make the music they want too make, they can NEVER please everyone anyway.
Exactly.

(Except maybe their first album, get it?)

jasonjohn

#431 Post by jasonjohn »

:)
Last edited by jasonjohn on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disco.

#432 Post by Disco. »

leesmapman wrote:
Disco. wrote:I just want them too make the music they want too make, they can NEVER please everyone anyway.
Exactly.

(Except maybe their first album, get it?)
:D

Remark

#433 Post by Remark »

canveyboy wrote:Just so we're on the same page, I am not still swimming in their imperial phase output.
Yep, I get that.
canveyboy wrote:Yes, I became a fan in 1986 and yes I love all the old records but I'm a PSB purist all the way through and I have supported all of their releases to date and I listen to Electric as often as I put on Actually for a spin.
Very much the same. Actually is my favorite album, Electric is my second favorite.
canveyboy wrote: I think you are wrong when you say it's because people are 'not really paying attention to what's going on musically'. I have never concentrated on or concerned myself with whatever is current and happening in the music scene - I don't care and it's never stopped me from discovering new bands or music, thus I don't care what is current in the club scene and I don't see how that bears any relevance in my appreciation of their music.
Your opinion here is fine. My intention was to convey that regardless of people's personal opinions, the PSB are releasing music that is still completely musically relevant and absolutely concurrent with what is going on today in electronic music. If we reflect on Elysium -- as much as I like that album -- it is an embarrassment to play when compared to more contemporary electronic music. Thank god the PSB returned to form with Electric to (re)dominate the genre they defined: electronic dance pop music.
canveyboy wrote:By their own admission they have never been current and never will be.
Huh? As recently as Yes, the PSB have been clinging to what they believe is "current".
canveyboy wrote:They've never been played in clubs and never will be and they certainly are not pursuing this direction now with a hope to being played 'in the clubs'.
Again this is a misguided statement. When Vocal was released, Armin Van Buuren played it out several times. As for other tracks (Tensnake's mix of Thursday, and Claptone's mix of Love is a Bourgeois Construct, for example) I've heard out in forward-thinking underground clubs. Where are you going?
canveyboy wrote:I didn't get into PSB because they were current or cool in 1986, I got into them because I love electronic synth pop. That is why I fell in love with them all those years ago.
Same!
canveyboy wrote:And I can safely say that TPK and IS are NOT electronic synth pop and anyone who thinks it is are kidding themselves.
TPK is DEFINITELY electronic synth pop. Please tell me what you think is???? As for Inner Sanctum, it's not electronic synth pop, it's trance, which you've already claimed as disliking.
canveyboy wrote:This is not how I like my PSB and I don't need to know what's happening in dj culture to know that.

Then put on Please and enjoy the 30th anniversary of it all!
canveyboy wrote:A fellow PSB friend
:D A great debate sir!

glennjridge

#434 Post by glennjridge »

one small thing....I cant figure out why neil didnt throw some harmony vocals on the chorus. it would have been kinda nice

alig

#435 Post by alig »

I care sweet fa. I'm not gonna listen to Pop Kids until it's played on the radio. Too many people in here are so impatient it's laughable. Almost as if they wanna be the first ones to be in the know. Nor am I gonna listen to any album leaks. You prefer listening to the album for weeks before its release and then when it's out you buy the album that you've heard a hundred times already? Absolutely pitiful.
"John 3:16."