"Winner" - the love and hate battle of this forum

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

"Winner"

It was a good release for Olympics times, face it!. They are British an they live in London. What a good thing they took part of it!
53%
The song is embarrassing and so easy. Not a good movement
47%

Total votes: 89

Nickname

Re: "Winner" - the love and hate battle of this forum

#31 Post by Nickname »

glennjridge wrote:there were 2 camps.

one camp rational,ie those of us that just looked at it like it was another PSB release and like any other some liked it some didnt.

and then...the other camp.... pretty much was just silly PSB intelligentsia types who didnt think the PSB should go about releasing
cheerful optimistic music and felt it actually a form of betrayal and panned it on site pretty much.
you know the types....if a band does something they consider "wrong" they talk about never buying another album from them again. you know....the crazies.
Even go further, they talk about burning all their PSB albums.

PopArt

#32 Post by PopArt »

It wasn't their greatest moment by any stretch of the imagination. It's cheesy and the first time I heard the chorus I burst out laughing. But it has grown on me a little and I think as a cheesy power ballad they've certainly captured something. But it should never, ever have been a PSB single and most certainly releasing it at the same time as the Olympics was desperate. And what possessed them to release that as the first single from Elysium when they had Leaving on the stocks. Terrible mistake I think.

They should have given it to Take That to record for the Olympics. That would have worked quite well as they would have been able to carry off the cheesiness. And it may have been a hit then.
I'm always waiting...

ZiggyPSB

#33 Post by ZiggyPSB »

A like how people keep going on about the key change.

They certainly didn't get it from Take That. None of the songs they performed during Progress Live had a key change.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

goughsjd

#34 Post by goughsjd »

Worst choice for lead single imo
No one outside the boys & this forum even knows it exists let alone think of the olympics when they hear it
And the video - what was that about & again nothing to do with the olympics

However the HappySad mix is brill
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Tom Angel

#35 Post by Tom Angel »

The instrumental is quite lovely actually, as is the happy/sad mix by Andrew Dawson, but Neil was just not born to sing this song basically .
    in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Kevinthehorse

#36 Post by Kevinthehorse »

Sorry to bring back an old thread but the "most embarrassing PSB track" has made me question why so many die hard fans on here loathe "Winner"? For me it's one of their best songs from the last decade; a gloriously melodic and uplifting song with an upbeat message and - back in the Imperial Phase - would have been a certain number 1. It also has a personal connection for me as back in 2012 when it was released I was at risk of losing my job; I used to play "Winner" on the way to job interviews to psyche myself up (it worked eventually!).

Yes, I know there are negatives;
    The timing of the release was cynically round about the time of the London Olympics
    The Boys had just come out of the rather embarrassing experience of playing support to boy band Take That
    The lyrics maybe aren't PSB enough - too much sincerity and not enough irony?

Nonetheless I still don't get the hate of Winner on here. For me it's the stand out track from their later years.

jules

#37 Post by jules »

I love the lyrics, it perfectly fit the music. I don't see any problem with this track. They made far worse than this.

Scottydog

#38 Post by Scottydog »

I quite like the lyrics. I also think it wasn’t a bad idea to release it when they did. The Andrew Dawson mix proves that I also like the song. BUT an awful choice as a single when Elysium had much better to offer. My problem with the album version is Neil’s singing. It highlights his sometimes nasal sound that the album mix seems to emphasize much more than the Dawson mix does.
    If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

chrissyboy

#39 Post by chrissyboy »

The album version is really good. A positive, uplifting song. The happy/sad mix is stunning. My only issue was the timing of the release to coincide with the Olympics. I think Status Quo also released a song with a similar name around the same time. The whole thing looked desperaete.

Winter is a million miles from the worst song they’ve made, lyrically or musically. Every time I play Super and have to sit through Happiness, Groovy or Pazzo I know that is the case. And that’s just Super...

tottenhammattspurs

#40 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Can you imagine, the same people on this forum, totally loosing their minds, when in the summer of 2012, the Boys have a song called “Winner”, it’s the Olympics, and they DONT release it??!?! They’d be proclaiming the Boys are mad, Parlophone are mental and they’ve squandered the chance to have a top ten hit as the public ride on the wave of Olympic positivity!
    is is and isnt isnt

York Minster

#41 Post by York Minster »

Well add me to the still loathing it club. And I never thought HappySad redeemed anything about it.
    And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
    "He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
    "What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
    That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
    Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
    [BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

jasonjohn

#42 Post by jasonjohn »

I like it

The poll question makes you choose between two extremes.

I'm sure many people are indifferent or don't mind the song (as opposed to outright hate or love)

East End Girl

#43 Post by East End Girl »

Well, as a newbie in this forum like me it's a bit difficult to decide where to begin ... but you've got to start somewhere...

So I'd like to start here, because I've got a very strong opinion about "Winner" - I simply love the song.
    I loved it right from the start, just like the rest of Elysium. Yes, I'm one of those :wink:

It is such a beautiful song and somewhere in the Top 20 of my playlist of PSB-slowies. Perfect for a cosy, rainy Sunday afternoon on the sofa, reading a book, a cup of tea and a candle on the table and listening to this song.
    And I enjoyed it very much at the Super-Tour.

Just my humble opinion, but of course there are so many different tastes - and different songs, luckily. So there's always at least one song for everybody. And one of "my" songs is Winner. :)

Greendrake

#44 Post by Greendrake »

I've been always wondering why Neil made it "I've been a loser" and not "I was a loser". Clearly the context implies that the person singing the song used to be a loser in the past but not anymore now — now they're a winner.

Doesn't "I have been" refer to something which had started in the past and is still continued in the present? Or is that not necessarily so?

Andie

#45 Post by Andie »

I still hate it!!!!!!
    Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars