"Winner" - the love and hate battle of this forum

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

"Winner"

It was a good release for Olympics times, face it!. They are British an they live in London. What a good thing they took part of it!
52%
The song is embarrassing and so easy. Not a good movement
48%

Total votes: 92

Disco.

Re: "Winner" - the love and hate battle of this forum

#16 Post by Disco. »

lucienchardon wrote:I have mixed feelings about this song. I think the album/single version is pretty weak. I would say it is second only to Before as their worst single. On the other hand, I think the Andrew Dawson Extended HappySad Remix is one of the best remixes they've ever put out and I love it. The long version of The Way Through the Woods is brilliant and I also like the video for Winner. So the overall single package was very satisfying for me. Still, I think A Face Like That should have been the lead single from Elysium.
What are you talking about !! Before is fantastic, and what a remix package, House heaven !

lucienchardon

#17 Post by lucienchardon »

Disco. wrote:
lucienchardon wrote:I have mixed feelings about this song. I think the album/single version is pretty weak. I would say it is second only to Before as their worst single. On the other hand, I think the Andrew Dawson Extended HappySad Remix is one of the best remixes they've ever put out and I love it. The long version of The Way Through the Woods is brilliant and I also like the video for Winner. So the overall single package was very satisfying for me. Still, I think A Face Like That should have been the lead single from Elysium.
What are you talking about !! Before is fantastic, and what a remix package, House heaven !
I know some people love Before but it just doesn't do anything for me. All the musical ideas are exhausted after about 20 seconds. And none of the remixes do much for me either. Even the video seems pretty uninspired and I think Howard Greenhalgh's videos from Very are totally amazing. The B sides were obviously great though and I love the pictures they used on the CD singles and vinyl (including the promos).

Disco.

#18 Post by Disco. »

lucienchardon wrote:
Disco. wrote:
I know some people love Before but it just doesn't do anything for me. All the musical ideas are exhausted after about 20 seconds. And none of the remixes do much for me either. Even the video seems pretty uninspired and I think Howard Greenhalgh's videos from Very are totally amazing. The B sides were obviously great though and I love the pictures they used on the CD singles and vinyl (including the promos).
I bet you do 8)

jules

#19 Post by jules »

Winner fits perfectly the mood of the album. It's still better than go west and a beautiful track.

beartattoo

#20 Post by beartattoo »

It's a great song. Sometimes this forum becomes a little too precious and snobbish.

DJ Pat

#21 Post by DJ Pat »

Winner was ok at the time, the mood of the London olympics, winners and all that
I agree the instrumental is a nice piece of music

Broooklyn

#22 Post by Broooklyn »

Still cringe when I hear it. Musically speaking it is not so bad, but lyrically, I just can not digest it. In fact, over here in the US, if someone calls you a winner it means the absolute opposite, so I am sure that played a major role on my impression of it. It certainly is no 'We are the Champions"...my friend.

Roundhead General

"Winner" - the love and hate battle of this forum

#23 Post by Roundhead General »

I really can't listen to the album/single version but as others have mentioned the HappySad mix is amazing. Sometimes Neil's vocals particularly when they are double tracked don't suit a certain song if it is over produced like the album version. Another example of this is London (which shares a very similar verse structure to Winner) the album version on Release is awful but the Genuine piano version on Disco 3 transforms it! Sometimes a song needs to be stripped back to give Neil's vocals room to breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

invisible

#24 Post by invisible »

Disco. wrote:
I've never understood the hate for Before, I think it's gorgeous. But then I also like Electricity, The sound of the atom splitting, and other typically loathed songs.

Andie

Re:

#25 Post by Andie »

Roundhead General wrote:I really can't listen to the album/single version but as others have mentioned the HappySad mix is amazing. Sometimes Neil's vocals particularly when they are double tracked don't suit a certain song if it is over produced like the album version. Another example of this is London (which shares a very similar verse structure to Winner) the album version on Release is awful but the Genuine piano version on Disco 3 transforms it! Sometimes a song needs to be stripped back to give Neil's vocals room to breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+ 1

I agree!! Although I'm happy to listen to London on Release, I love London on Disco 3 & Winner HappySad mix, both are so much better.
Last edited by Andie on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

invisible

#26 Post by invisible »

Poll options for "I love it" and "Don't care for it but don't hate it" might have been nice...

I simply don't like Winner's genre of music (whatever it's called). Based on how many love the song, I suspect it's an excellent example of its type, but I probably shouldn't be judging it any more than my dad should be giving an opinion on Shouting in the evening.

But I don't actively hate it. It's on my ipod and occasionally I don't hit skip when it starts, which is more than can be said for a couple of other PSB tracks.

spacewalker

#27 Post by spacewalker »

I like to think of "Winner" as a song about "West End Girls" being no. 1 in UK in 1986 (and Pet Shop Boys themselves becoming one of the most popular british bands) and I've never associated it with the Olympic Games or any other sport events. I don't like this song as a single track but I remember the first time I listened to "Elysium" and "Winner" all of a sudden brought me to tears. In my opinion, "Elysium" is partly concept album; after "Winner" it continues with "Your Early Stuff", so it somehow fits. It's just my meaning which has nothing common with "official" one, but well, that's the core of art: everybody can interpret it in own way.

lucienchardon

#28 Post by lucienchardon »

invisible wrote:
Disco. wrote:
I've never understood the hate for Before, I think it's gorgeous. But then I also like Electricity, The sound of the atom splitting, and other typically loathed songs.
I love The sound of the atom splitting. Electricity is good too. In terms of singles, the only ones I don't really care for are Before, Winner and I'm with stupid. That's pretty remarkable considering how many singles they have released. The video for I'm with stupid is great though.

glennjridge

#29 Post by glennjridge »

there were 2 camps.

one camp rational,ie those of us that just looked at it like it was another PSB release and like any other some liked it some didnt.

and then...the other camp.... pretty much was just silly PSB intelligentsia types who didnt think the PSB should go about releasing
cheerful optimistic music and felt it actually a form of betrayal and panned it on site pretty much.
you know the types....if a band does something they consider "wrong" they talk about never buying another album from them again. you know....the crazies.

Bjossi

#30 Post by Bjossi »

What's with the poll options? Wouldn't a simple Like/Ok/Dislike trio have sufficed? The subject of the Olympics has nothing to do with whether we like the song or not.

Any way, I think the tune is pretty good, and I don't find the lyrics "that" bad, I've certainly heard worse lyrics, like on Metamorphosis. Basically it's just ok for me, not the best on Elysium but not a skipper like Ego Music.