Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Re: Reissues project

#2446 Post by Bulldog » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 7:10 pm

oakey wrote:
Fri 15 Feb 2019, 6:21 pm
Like vinyl a lot but for me it’s total nostalgia. I want the CD too for the best sound quality, and I want to own my music so streaming is not my thing.

The current vinyl hype is just a hipster thing. It’ll pass. In 10 years it’s nostalgia for CDs, mark my words 🙂
Each format has pros and cons... Yes, vinyl and tape can sometimes sound muffled, but you've got to appreciate how formative (no pun) they are - since fastforwarding will likely mess them up, you need to sit there and put a lot of attention and discipline on what you're listening to. On the other hand CDs seem to be more about hearing in a better quality something you already know and assimilated.

For the rest I see no point in Spotify but I absolutely love Youtube. 90% of things I listen to I've heard there first. And usually it's old dance stuff for which vinyl is often the only physical format available. These days the only CDs I buy are new PSB albums (even with the reissues I just thought digital was enough)...
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

retrofuturist

#2447 Post by retrofuturist » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 3:49 am

Greetings,
Bulldog wrote:
Fri 15 Feb 2019, 7:10 pm
For the rest I see no point in Spotify but I absolutely love Youtube. 90% of things I listen to I've heard there first. And usually it's old dance stuff for which vinyl is often the only physical format available. These days the only CDs I buy are new PSB albums (even with the reissues I just thought digital was enough)...
And for what it's worth, so little of the "old dance stuff" you'll find on YouTube is even on Spotify... even songs that were hits! I've discovered this myself, because each week I create 10 track Spotify playlists of stuff I play on a Saturday night, and even as recently as last week's playlist, I could find no sign of Somewhere by Efua, which got to #16 on the charts here in Australia. Aside from that, Spotify certainly doesn't cater well for remixes at the best of times. It's totally over-rated, but probably adequate for normies.

Retro. 8)

York Minster

#2448 Post by York Minster » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 10:27 am

I largely don't understand the vinyl thing either. There were albums I grew up listening to on cassette..that were recorded from vinyl..and I have a nostalgia hearing the songs that way. The Police Synchronicity must have the pops or it's missing something..but that's just because of how I heard it when I was young.

Mastering on CDs these days is way too loud and compressed. I get in moods where I will only listen to tinny 80s CDs because I can't stand it. But then, some 80's CDs sound like garbage too and desperately need decent remastering. Early 90s to early 2000s seems to be the sweet spot. I get the ritual and the memories. I don't get paying 30 dollars for a re-issue on vinyl. I see those prices and my brain about explodes.

For the record, I still listen to cassettes. Every day. I never got over the love of tape hiss. This probably defeats all my previous comments. I'm sad that PSB stopped issuing cassette albums. The last one was what? Release I guess. I even have Closer to Heaven on cassette. So strange to think it was issued on cassette at all.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys