Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
rollo

Re: Reissues project

#2431 Post by rollo » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 4:12 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sat 08 Sep 2018, 11:54 am
Charted way lower than the other reissues. Less copies sold or a particularly busy week?
Not really... here's what I said a couple of days ago:
rollo wrote:
Tue 04 Sep 2018, 11:53 pm
They're at #28, 32, and 35 (in chronological order) on the midweek chart. The last batch were #25, 24, and 32, and entered the Friday chart at #65, 59, and 73.
These ended up at #63, 73, and 87, so I'd say Behaviour did better than I'd have expected, and the other two were about right...
Check out my new music blog...
http://musicforstowaways.wordpress.com/

Piotrek

#2432 Post by Piotrek » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

Not sure if there is a separate thread for the vinyl re-issues, so I found this one.
I've just my copy of the re-issue of Fundamental, and I have to express my utter dissapointment. The vinyl is very noisy, to the point of there being an audible defect in the right channel midway through the first half. The vinyl looks clean. Honestly I can't be bothered using my wet cleaning machine, so this is going straight baclk to Amazon. It was dirt cheap which is why I bought it in the first place.
I had similar issue with the Bilingual re-issue, but not to this extent, so I'm holding on to it, especially since I don't have a copy of the original pressing. I have all the other original pressings, so Fundamental can go back.
Seriously, the boys need to pay more attention to their test pressings. Super is shite, Bilingual has audible defects and Fundamental is crap.
Has anyone else experienced problems with their vinyl re-issues?

Disco.

#2433 Post by Disco. » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:44 pm

I haven’t. They sound very good to me.

oakey

#2434 Post by oakey » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 9:36 pm

Time to replace the stylus maybe?

Had similar issues with Kraftwerk's The Mix a few years back, which skipped at several points despite being brand new. Then I replaced the stylus and then it played fine. Most styluses start to give problems after 1000 playing hours (and may damage your records as a consequence).

After more than 3 years of daily vinyl playing, I recently replaced the needle again which also solved several issues with some recently bought vinyls I had. The defect you describe in the right channel may well be solved by replacing the stylus or aligning the cartridge. See e.g. https://audio-technica.com.au/how-to/al ... cartridge/

Unfortunately playing vinyl takes more maintenance than playing a CD or streaming.

I have both Bilingual and Fundamental's reissues and both play fine. The only issue with Fundamental is the typo on the sleeve ;-)

Piotrek

#2435 Post by Piotrek » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

I have considered whether it is my deck that's responsible for the noise, but it's highly unlikely. I have a good deck with an Ortofon blue cartridge that is properly aligned.
This does not happen with many other records.
I'll give Fundamental a wet clean and see if this improves.

onzio

#2436 Post by onzio » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:01 am

Piotrek wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm
I had similar issue with the Bilingual re-issue, but not to this extent, so I'm holding on to it, especially since I don't have a copy of the original pressing. I have all the other original pressings, so Fundamental can go back.
Seriously, the boys need to pay more attention to their test pressings. Super is shite, Bilingual has audible defects and Fundamental is crap.
Without talking in absolute terms, I'd like to easily conclude that vinyl sucks.
I remember when I was a little boy how fantastic those new little compact discs sound compared to those old noisy vinyl dinosaurs. Not hearing that scratch was the greatest improvement in music listening of the old century.
I don't understand all this vinyl nostalgia. Yes it sounds warmer, and the packaging is bigger and beautiful, but we get back that nerves wracking scratch!
I hate it!
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

luca857

#2437 Post by luca857 » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:12 am

onzio wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:01 am
Piotrek wrote:
Without talking in absolute terms, I'd like to easily conclude that vinyl sucks.
I remember when I was a little boy how fantastic those new little compact discs sound compared to those old noisy vinyl dinosaurs. Not hearing that scratch was the greatest improvement in music listening of the old century.
I don't understand all this vinyl nostalgia. Yes it sounds warmer, and the packaging is bigger and beautiful, but we get back that nerves wracking scratch!
I hate it!
I tend to agree with this. Maybe my ears are broken, but the only reason why I feel a "warmer" sound while listening to a vinyl is because all those pops and clicks give me the impression of sitting next to a lit fireplace.

onzio

#2438 Post by onzio » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:15 am

luca857 wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:12 am
I tend to agree with this. Maybe my ears are broken, but the only reason why I feel a "warmer" sound while listening to a vinyl is because all those pops and clicks give me the impression of sitting next to a lit fireplace.
That's ace! :D
Maybe with a glass of red wine and punch of roasted chestnuts. :lol:
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

tottenhammattspurs

#2439 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:03 am

The whole Vinyl Revolution is total marketing bullcrap. Perfect case in point is Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms. Those old enough to remember 1985 will recall this particular release heralding the CD revolution. There's no better album to experience the perfect CD sound with, it's the perfect album for the CD listening experience, this is the reason CD was invented etc etc etc etc.....

Just been re-released on vinyl with the tag line "for audiophiles, experience the original true sound"

For £20.99 :-0
is is and isnt isnt

MikeyC

#2440 Post by MikeyC » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 12:38 am

luca857 wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:12 am
onzio wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 10:01 am
Piotrek wrote:
I hate it!
Love that!! :lol:

Bulldog

#2441 Post by Bulldog » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 9:58 am

I like vinyl a lot, its rituality is an absolute joy. And a botched mix or mastering can make CDs sound messy as well (hello Pandemonium?).
Last edited by Bulldog on Fri 15 Feb 2019, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

G_Goalden

#2442 Post by G_Goalden » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 2:01 pm

I don't get it either.

I've got a 15hr PSB Further Listening FULL playlist via Apple Music playing through my desktop iMac speakers and it sounds perfect - infinity better than the record player that I played the 12" West End Girls on in 1986.

I've never understand the selling point of getting up to turn it over every five sounds or the sound of an authentic crackle. The larger artwork yes, but how many times do you read sleeve notes after the first listen?

I don't really understand 'sound' to be honest - but isn't 90% of a PSB album generated though digital instruments and presumably nowadays the live show is pretty much all digitally generated/output?????

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Disco.

#2443 Post by Disco. » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 3:52 pm

Speaking of vinyl Vocal, Thursday and Say It to me are back in stock on the official shop, maybe they found some stock lying around, or they have been repressed ?

daveid

#2444 Post by daveid » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 4:11 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:03 am
The whole Vinyl Revolution is total marketing bullcrap. Perfect case in point is Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms. Those old enough to remember 1985 will recall this particular release heralding the CD revolution. There's no better album to experience the perfect CD sound with, it's the perfect album for the CD listening experience, this is the reason CD was invented etc etc etc etc.....

Just been re-released on vinyl with the tag line "for audiophiles, experience the original true sound"

For £20.99 :-0
That's ridiculous. Was that album recorded digitally too? If so there's no wriggle room at all. Also the original vinyl album was shorter than the CD with certain tracks edited eg Your Latest Trick.

I am a vinyl fan btw but agree the record companies are taking the piss. It's like remarketing gas lighting as electric's replacement "for that warm, sepia-tinged ambience"

oakey

#2445 Post by oakey » Fri 15 Feb 2019, 6:21 pm

Like vinyl a lot but for me it’s total nostalgia. I want the CD too for the best sound quality, and I want to own my music so streaming is not my thing.

The current vinyl hype is just a hipster thing. It’ll pass. In 10 years it’s nostalgia for CDs, mark my words 🙂