Reissues project

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Re: Reissues project

#1546 Post by daveid » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm

Electronic Dave wrote:
Sun 30 Jul 2017, 4:42 pm
Just spotted another error - anyone noticed that Nightlife - Further Listening is printed as 1996-2000 when I think it should be 1998-2000?

The last further listening from 2001 finished in 1997 so they shouldn't overlap as all the others are consistent in the start and finish years

Having said that I remember hearing the demo version of 'Closer To Heaven' on the About Pet Shop Boys radio broadcast and CD in 1997...hmmm :?

Some really great tracks so far :dance:
The timeframe of these new FLs is very questionable. Strictly speaking Nightlife FL should be 1996-2003. Friendly fire wasn't finished til 2001 and Believe/SfG and Paris City boy weren't finished til 2003. They're not even putting them in the order they were written. SEB was written in 1999 and finished in 2000, and that's been put before all the b sides that were done in 1998 and 1999.

And as I keep droning on and on about, the first half dozen or so tracks on Release FL were written and/or recorded in 2000, not 2001. Quite frankly they shouldn't have put years on them. It's a rod for their own back in terms of accuracy and consistency. The 1997/6 overlap is a bit messy for us Aspies too. :wink:

edit - also just noticed 3 breakings of the cardinal song title law: "Boy Strange" Sail Away" and Song For Guy". Not sure if "Paris city boy" is a mistake or not. Makes more sense with a lower case c.

LiterallySimon

#1547 Post by LiterallySimon » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:01 pm

daveid wrote:
Sun 30 Jul 2017, 8:16 pm
just noticed 3 breakings of the cardinal song title law: "Boy Strange" Sail Away" and Song For Guy". Not sure if "Paris city boy" is a mistake or not. Makes more sense with a lower case c.
Boy Strange isn't only a description but also a name. Sail Away and Song For Guy are covers with established names that shouldn't be altered. Paris city is a description, not a name like New York City.

Sithblade

#1548 Post by Sithblade » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

Is there any reason Break 4 Love hasn't been included on Release or Format? Glad I have the Home and Dry cd single with it on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Firthy2002

#1549 Post by Firthy2002 » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

Some of the tracks are on the "wrong" discs where the Nightlife and Release FL albums are concerned.
-=Firthy2002=-
------------------
My LJ

Drico One

#1550 Post by Drico One » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:57 pm

I don't know, but I'd rather spend my time wallowing in eight discs of life-affirming music than nit-picking over every insignificant detail and spurious imperfection that randomly comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, these things are worthy of discussion, but to listen to some of you you'd imagine you have taken out your magnifying glasses and combed each booklet and cover looking for flaws rather than just, you know, enjoying the music and slating Party Song like normal folk.

The emphasis here just strikes me as a little bit weird. "Ooh, there's a logical error in the track-listing of Release Further Listening Volume II. Dancing in the dusk is good? Is it? I don't know. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet because I've been discombobulated by the song title style convention that they adopted mid career and I'm dreading the lack of stems in the remastering process."

At least there's no Winner, eh?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Zog

#1551 Post by Zog » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 10:28 pm

Drico One wrote:
Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:57 pm
I don't know, but I'd rather spend my time wallowing in eight discs of life-affirming music than nit-picking over every insignificant detail and spurious imperfection that randomly comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, these things are worthy of discussion, but to listen to some of you you'd imagine you have taken out your magnifying glasses and combed each booklet and cover looking for flaws rather than just, you know, enjoying the music and slating Party Song like normal folk.

The emphasis here just strikes me as a little bit weird. "Ooh, there's a logical error in the track-listing of Release Further Listening Volume II. Dancing in the dusk is good? Is it? I don't know. I haven't had a chance to hear it yet because I've been discombobulated by the song title style convention that they adopted mid career and I'm dreading the lack of stems in the remastering process."

Drico.
... and so, I assume that you, Drico, are not in the market for my "fainting couch" :(

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

Disco.

#1552 Post by Disco. » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 11:19 pm

Sithblade wrote:
Sun 30 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm
Is there any reason Break 4 Love hasn't been included on Release or Format? Glad I have the Home and Dry cd single with it on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
They don't consider it a PSB track.

daveid

#1553 Post by daveid » Sun 30 Jul 2017, 11:40 pm

Drico One wrote:
slating Party Song like normal folk.
Actually, it's Party song...

glennjridge

#1554 Post by glennjridge » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 12:09 am

I LOOOOOOVE ring road!! its so exciting sounding.
but all the demos definitely sound like demos to me....messy...and like undercooked chickens. rough. I mean, "Ring Road" and Transfer" are examples of how they will just bang something out and leave it unfinished. and then...we now get them "as is". I say this because can you think of hardly anytime a song on any album was just essentially 1 verse or 2 choruses and then its over?
no they usually have full songs.

I am finding while I hated the cover version some woman did of "performance of my life" I am really loving their demo of it.
but its clear....its every bit a demo. I hate they did this quite frankly because we now have new songs we love.... but they are in a degraded state. oh but thats the way the cookie crumbles, but as we always say...if these are demos how good can the stuff they keep be? I bet really good. cause I am loving the demos on the further listenings.

synthpopfan

#1555 Post by synthpopfan » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 1:37 am

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 31 Jul 2017, 12:09 am
I am finding while I hated the cover version some woman did of "performance of my life" I am really loving their demo of it.
You are incorrect.

Shirley Bassey recorded a song that PSB had written for her. Therefore, It is not a cover version. It is the original, definitive version.

MikeyC

#1556 Post by MikeyC » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 1:41 am

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 31 Jul 2017, 12:09 am
I LOOOOOOVE ring road!! its so exciting sounding.
but all the demos definitely sound like demos to me....messy...and like undercooked chickens. rough. I mean, "Ring Road" and Transfer" are examples of how they will just bang something out and leave it unfinished. and then...we now get them "as is". I say this because can you think of hardly anytime a song on any album was just essentially 1 verse or 2 choruses and then its over?
no they usually have full songs.

but its clear....its every bit a demo. I hate they did this quite frankly because we now have new songs we love.... but they are in a degraded state. oh but thats the way the cookie crumbles, but as we always say...if these are demos how good can the stuff they keep be? I bet really good. cause I am loving the demos on the further listenings.

I love you and your posts, glennjridge, but Shirley Bassey is SO far from being "some woman"!! :evil:

glennjridge

#1557 Post by glennjridge » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 2:22 am

Yeah I know guys that was kind of flippant...I was just too lazy to do a search. I was going to go with eartha kitt for some reason.lol

joeythecat

#1558 Post by joeythecat » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 5:33 am

Just to add to the missing list: All or Nothing.... I think it is amazing that even going with 3 discs there is still so much more that they could have included that remains officially unreleased, definitely enough for a career spanning box set of rarities.

Pod

#1559 Post by Pod » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 6:51 am

Drico One wrote:

Drico.

^^^^^^^^^^^ :up:
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Tom Angel

#1560 Post by Tom Angel » Mon 31 Jul 2017, 9:50 am

Well - how magnificent these releases look.

Release IS my least favourite album - for the clumsy kitsch of the night we fell in love really, but WHAT a package these look - Nightlife in particular really suits the reissue with the white border.

Now, how to listen to the albums! The full albums, to truly reassess them, or gorge on the further listening first..

The booklets are tremendous and I can;t imagine why anyone would want to buy these digitally and miss out on them
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls