Blancmange yawning photo

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
DJ Fairborne

Blancmange yawning photo

#1 Post by DJ Fairborne » Mon 12 May 2014, 3:33 pm

Apologies if it's been mentioned on here before, but I'm pretty sure that it hasn't, hence why I've started this topic etc.

I've just been reading on Geowayne's site about an obscure photo of 80's synthpop band, Blancmange, which is rather similar to the cover for PSB's "Actually". It's from 1982, so Neil Tennant would have been working at "Smash Hits" at the time, so he might have come across it & I wonder if it was an influence for the "Actually" cover 5 years later etc?

Who knows, but I just wondered what others on here might think? I'm just feeling a bit sad, as like Geowayne have said, the "Actually" cover is still great, but maybe not as original as we all first though, sigh...

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/extra ... blancmange

Your Funny Uncle

Re: Blancmange yawning photo

#2 Post by Your Funny Uncle » Mon 12 May 2014, 5:09 pm

They never claimed it to be original. They claimed that it was an accident. It could hardly be the first time that someone was caught accidentally yawning on camera.

The blancmange photo might have influenced them. So might another photo or artwork that they saw. As Wayne says, there's no way to know, and there's really no reason to suppose that they were lying.
We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands. The loom of time and space works the most astonishing transformations of matter. We are a way for the universe to know itself.

Vince

#3 Post by Vince » Tue 13 May 2014, 7:09 am

The point also being made by Wayne, is that the Actually pic has become iconic., not the Blancmange one
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.
S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

My Poems:
http://wordsunchained.blogspot.com/

Sandy Shaw

#4 Post by Sandy Shaw » Fri 16 May 2014, 12:16 am

Paul McCartney yawns on the front cover of Wings Goodnight Tonight and he is wearing a DJ (tux)!

Neil must have seen this photo at some point, but it may or may not be an influence.
What's for supper?