Premiere of 'A Man From The Future' at BBC Proms - 23/07/14

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Re: Premiere of 'A Man From The Future' at BBC Proms - 23/07

#346 Post by Undertaker »

psbfannyc wrote:Just back in New York City from my trip to London and Paris. Attended the show and it was truly spectacular. The whole event was just mesmerizing. Very emotional.

And it was lovely to meet Trixie and Sandy Shaw after.

xx
Glad you enjoyed it. Did you or anyone else manage to get some pics?

Waffleon

#347 Post by Waffleon »

Undertaker wrote:
One of the crowd wrote:Am I the only one who just listens to the music and the brilliance of it ?
I've never understood why some have to analyse everything either. Gay, political etc etc. It doesn't really matter. Either enjoy it for what it is, or don't. It matters not one iota it has a gay theme.

I shouldn't get involved but of course it matters that there's a gay theme. That's the point isn't it? Things have changed since the 80s. My take on the more recently political PSB is that they've always been anti hypocrisy and anti cool. It's not bandwagon-ess anymore to support gay rights in the Uk so I think it's ok. And it might be a bit pretentious but haven 't they always been? I loved it, thought it was a fitting tribute to a significant and deplorably maligned hero. Surely they used to criticize U2 and Sting etc because they made money on the back of various political standpoints. MFTF is many things but commercial isn't one of them.

Tom Angel

#348 Post by Tom Angel »

Re-reading Literally, I see there is a song/piece in the Man from the future called, An apology. At the time they sound unsure if it will be included. Does anyone know if it did?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

psbfannyc

#349 Post by psbfannyc »

You know what? I did. I will post later. Was able to get to front row on stage left while they did their bows.
Undertaker wrote:
psbfannyc wrote:Just back in New York City from my trip to London and Paris. Attended the show and it was truly spectacular. The whole event was just mesmerizing. Very emotional.

xx
Glad you enjoyed it. Did you or anyone else manage to get some pics?

Trixiemix

#350 Post by Trixiemix »

xx

It was lovely to meet YOU too :D
All in all a very memorable evening and great to meet some others from this forum (not to mention saying hello to the boys that morning as they went for an early rehearsal ) 8)
Back to Trafalgar.........

Trixiemix

#351 Post by Trixiemix »

xx

It was lovely to meet YOU too :D
All in all a very memorable evening and great to meet some others from this forum (not to mention saying hello to the boys that morning as they went for an early rehearsal ) 8)
Back to Trafalgar.........

Sandy Shaw

#352 Post by Sandy Shaw »

xx
Likewise! Great to meet you too! :-) xx
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

#353 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Tom Angel wrote:Re-reading Literally, I see there is a song/piece in the Man from the future called, An apology. At the time they sound unsure if it will be included. Does anyone know if it did?
Yes, it was Gordon Brown's apology, recorded especially for PSB. The movement itself might be called something else now.
What's for supper?

S-sense

#354 Post by S-sense »

Are the Lyrics of AMFTF exact quotations from the books?
The Program says they are "edited" from the two biographies...
So, what does that mean in this case?

Some of the lyrics are quite haunting
"His utter loneliness was pierced"
"He took me out and showed me the stars"

EDIT: Aunt Google pointed me to the section about his utter loneliness, it IS a citation from the book:
http://www.turing.org.uk/book/extracts/ext1-33.html

But i could not find the "He took me out..."-bit, yet....

Hillbilly

#355 Post by Hillbilly »

Is it possible to hear this performance anywhere online? I've been away for more than a week, so if a link is already posted I don't want to browse through 20 pages to find it...

Hillbilly

#357 Post by Hillbilly »

S-sense wrote:Perfect Quality, enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b2m2y
Thanks! :up:

I have watched some clips on Youtube, but it seems like only Hynde's performances are there.

DJ Fairborne

#358 Post by DJ Fairborne »

Hillbilly wrote:
S-sense wrote:Perfect Quality, enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b2m2y
Thanks! :up:

I have watched some clips on Youtube, but it seems like only Hynde's performances are there.
I don't think there's much need for any of us to see Chrissie Hynde's performance of "Four Songs In A Minor" more than once! She really did a poor job, they should have called it "Four Songs In A Mess"! Lol

Why didn't they get someone with a strong powerful voice, to belt out the songs over the orchestral backing etc. How about someone like Shirley Bassey, Gladys Knight, Jocelyn Brown or even their old friend Liza Minnelli? I'm sure all of them would've done a better job than Hynde did. Of course, Liza has already done "Rent" on the "Results" album & that was really good.

Oh well, maybe I wasn't keen on Hynde's performance, as I've never been that keen on The Pretenders & that charity record (for "Comic Relief") she did back in '95 with Neneh Cherry was awful too! Sigh...

Ghost within this house

#359 Post by Ghost within this house »

I'd love to hear an instrumental of the Badalamenti arrangements.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

geowayne

#360 Post by geowayne »

Sandy Shaw wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:Re-reading Literally, I see there is a song/piece in the Man from the future called, An apology. At the time they sound unsure if it will be included. Does anyone know if it did?
Yes, it was Gordon Brown's apology, recorded especially for PSB. The movement itself might be called something else now.
Yes, the final movement, which includes Brown's apology, was originally called "The Apology," then changed to "The Pardon," but in the final version was given the same title as the overall piece, "A Man from the Future." So "A Man from the Future" is the final movement of A Man from the Future.