Frankie Knuckles RIP

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

daveid

Re: Frankie Knuckles RIP

#2 Post by daveid »

The mix he did of Left to my own devices is a mini masterpiece. Shame it can't be given a proper release...

Gary1962

#3 Post by Gary1962 »

Blimey that has come like a bolt out of the blue. A legend on the house music scene. RIP
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

tottenhammattspurs

#4 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It's April 1st. This is an April Fools' right? If so, it's in really bad taste, if not, then it's a real loss to music. An utter legend.
is is and isnt isnt

Suburban_Boy

#5 Post by Suburban_Boy »

Nice tribute on the official site.

1 April 2014
Frankie Knuckles
We are very sad to hear that the legendary Frankie Knuckles has died. The word "legendary" is rather overused these days, but Frankie Knuckles was a true dance legend and a pioneer of house music. We were honoured to work with him in 1988 when he did his brilliant dark mix of "I want a dog". It was so exciting to drive out to Jersey City to hear this mix for the first time in his studio and then drive back to New York with the mix on repeat. We were thrilled with it and included it on our album, Introspective. In 1990 Frankie came over to London to play at Chris's birthday party at Brixton Academy and enthralled the crowd with his brilliant set. In the early days, House music was referred to as "Chicago House" after the city where it was invented - it was great to visit the city last year and see that a street had been named after the music's inventor: Frankie Knuckles Way. Love and respect forever. xx

Deschanel

#6 Post by Deschanel »

My computer crashed as I was writing a tribute to Frankie Knuckles, "I Want A Dog" on Introspective alone is amazing. RIP to a genius.

By queer coincidence, Kate O'Mara died yesterday. She played Patsy's sister on Absolutely Fabulous, that episode where it was New Year's Eve, and Pats and Eddie were dying to go out to a party featuring.. Frankie Knuckles. "Jackie" thwarted them. ("Jacqui?") . RIP.

Disco.

#7 Post by Disco. »

So sad to hear this that man defined House music !

DJAMIX

#8 Post by DJAMIX »

:(
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

JSDOUVRES

#9 Post by JSDOUVRES »

Just heard this, shocking news, love his mix of I want a dog and the song he released called your love is an absolute classic.
RIP

DJ Fairborne

#10 Post by DJ Fairborne »

Sad news & aside from his PSB remixes, which were great, I've also always liked his fantastic remix of "Aint' Nobody" by Chaka Khan, which was released in '89.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAAUIIAUwE

Debussy

#11 Post by Debussy »

Very sad news. His remixes and production were stellar - too many to mention but 'I want a dog' is one of my all time favourites.
Back in 2001 he played in Sydney for 12 hours over two magical nights that were to change the course of my life. I’d just met my partner who loved house music as much as I did and with Frankie’s sets and the Mardi Gras mix CD as our musical starting blocks, we were to set off on a journey that found love, soul, community, amazing friends, experiences and adventures way beyond what I had ever imagined.

retrofuturist

#12 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Deschanel wrote:"I Want A Dog" on Introspective alone is amazing. RIP to a genius.
A vast improvement on the original, and whilst it's obviously still one of the weaker points on Introspective, it does actually fit in quite well.

Retro. :)

territorygal

#13 Post by territorygal »

Oh no. I was hoping this was just another cruel April Fool's prank. :(
Beautiful tribute on the OS.
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

moxlox

#14 Post by moxlox »

RIP Frankie
Keep grooving Frankie

By coincidence I was just listening to I Want a Dog off Introspective on Monday for the first time in a while. That version is just sublime. Always loved it, one of my favourite PSB tracks because of that bassline, and on my favourite PSB album, Introspective.

Will now listen to the Frankie Knuckles mix of Left to my Own Devices. ...off to my iPod........

:up: :up: :up: :up:
Circuses and Bread

Andie

#15 Post by Andie »

RIP Frankie

I want a dog from Introspective is still to this day an amazing track, I never get tired of hearing it.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars