Love is a Bourgeois Construct CD release discussion

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
retrofuturist

Re: Love is a Bourgeois Construct CD release discussion

#91 Post by retrofuturist »

Limited releases are fine but unless there's a really good reason, there should always be enough produced to cover pre-orders from all retailers.

I'm still a bit disappointed about missing out on the Leaving 7" despite pre-ordering weeks in advance.

Retro. :)

Bruno Republic

#92 Post by Bruno Republic »

Rawmortar wrote: About Thursday I'll probably pre-order it on the next days, but I hope that this single gets a higher production, due to it seems that it's going to compete in the charts.
I don't expect it will, given that physical sales no longer have any significant impact on chart positions for singles. At this point, only the dedicated fans like us are buying CD (or vinyl) singles. So, each one will sell roughly the same amount, regardless of how popular the song becomes with the general public. It's the number of downloads and streamings which will vary, and be the true measure of a song's success.

Unfortunately, this means that for anything other than standard editions of the album, pre-ordering is essential, and sometimes even then not enough to guarantee a copy as noted above. The reality is these items are probably only manufactured in the hundreds now.

Disco.

#93 Post by Disco. »

They are still manufactured in the thousands.

tottenhammattspurs

#94 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Vinyl releases, no matter who the artist, are limited in numbers nowadays. The new beatles live at the bbc vol 2 has a run of only 2000 worldwide, which considering the collectibility and appeal of the beatles, is pathetically small.
is is and isnt isnt

Bruno Republic

#95 Post by Bruno Republic »

Disco. wrote:They are still manufactured in the thousands.
That really surprises me, because the continuing decline of physical media means now that albums from prominent artists barely sell in the thousands on CD. The regular LP of Yes was limited to 1,000 copies (or so I've read) and there would presumably be greater much demand for that than a CD single of remixes, yet a quick check of discogs shows several retailers still have unsold new copies.

Bruno Republic

#96 Post by Bruno Republic »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:Vinyl releases, no matter who the artist, are limited in numbers nowadays. The new beatles live at the bbc vol 2 has a run of only 2000 worldwide, which considering the collectibility and appeal of the beatles, is pathetically small.

That can't be right. Anything Beatles sells in huge numbers. Even 20,000 copies wouldn't suffice! The mono box set was originally limited to 10,000 copies but was very quickly extended far beyond that (and is still available today AFAIK).

PoloPony

#97 Post by PoloPony »

Bruno Republic wrote:
Disco. wrote:They are still manufactured in the thousands.
That really surprises me, because the continuing decline of physical media means now that albums from prominent artists barely sell in the thousands on CD. The regular LP of Yes was limited to 1,000 copies (or so I've read) and there would presumably be greater much demand for that than a CD single of remixes, yet a quick check of discogs shows several retailers still have unsold new copies.
I would not include sellers who are selling unsold copies, a lot of people buy up the limited releases so that they can resell them at higher price!

Bruno Republic

#98 Post by Bruno Republic »

PoloPony wrote: I would not include sellers who are selling unsold copies, a lot of people buy up the limited releases so that they can resell them at higher price!
True, and that's certainly the case for the 7" singles like Winner, Leaving, and especially Love Life. For sure, these were not pressed in the thousands. But most of the sellers I've seen offering Yes on LP are only asking regular price for it, or not much more.

Disco.

#99 Post by Disco. »

There are still a higher demand that we think, you have to remember that only a fraction of people that buy psb cds/records/downloads, are on a public psb forum. I know several people that buy psb cds, and they would never join a forum. BTW The official psb shop sold more than 5,000 cd singles of the Christmas EP.

tottenhammattspurs

#100 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Regards to the beatles forthcoming vinyl releases. Ive preordered from What Records who confirms the small amount getting pressed.....

've finally added the Limited Edition UK Versions of The Beatles Live at the BBC and On Air Vinyls to the site.

As usual I am doing a special pre order price of £25.99 each.

The albums released on the 11th (On Air) and 25th November (BBC) are Limited to 3000 and 2000 copies respectively.

Clearly someone has no idea of how many Beatles fans exist and how many buy vinyl..if 50,000 box set completely sold out then I think the BBC Vinyls might be well under pressed!!!!
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#101 Post by leesmapman »

I was listening to the live broadcast of the Salford concert of last year where Neil mentioned Memory of the Future is their 47th single. This means Bourgeois is their 50th, anyone already mentioned this?

ZiggyPSB

#102 Post by ZiggyPSB »

I thought he said "46th". If Axis doesn't count as a canonical PSB single then we haven't reached the magic 50th yet.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

tottenhammattspurs

#103 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

He said 46th, but he wont be counting Ab Fab, which I do.....

Thursday would be the 50th UK official single (Including Ab Fab and the 1985 and 1986 releases of Opportunities)
51st if you include the Epic records West end Girls
52nd if you include Axis
54th if you include London and Beautiful People.

It's got confusing...
is is and isnt isnt

tottenhammattspurs

#104 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

oh and 55th if you include She's Madonna as it's credited to Robbie Williams with Pet Shop Boys...

56th if you include the Christmas EP
57th if you include Hallo Spaceboy.

FFS
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#105 Post by leesmapman »

^ you forgot 'One More Chance' Epic records.