My review/thoughts on all of the PSB albums (Long read)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
the8thark

My review/thoughts on all of the PSB albums (Long read)

#1 Post by the8thark »

Hello everyone,

As I have previously said in this forum I have wanted to buy all of the PSB albums. Well I have done this and all the albums have finally arrived to me. Some of the albums were lost in shipping and to be resent, and some took a lot longer than expected to arrive. A mini nightmare to have them all arrive to me but finally I have them all. And I can give my review on every album.

Why?

Some people on these forums have wanted to read my feelings on each album as I am a fan since only 2009 and I am listening to every main studio album pre Yes for the first time now. And they wanted to see what a newer fan thinks of all the older PSB music. And I am very happy to oblige this and it gives me a good excuse to listen to every album and fully appreciate them.

I am reviewing the tracks as appearing on the 2001/2009 remastered versions Please through Bilingual. Nightlife to Electric are the original first release albums I am reviewing. The remastered versions are defo louder then the original versions. I have a few original non-remastered versions of a few early album tracks to compare. Lastly I will be reviewing the Relentless CD coming as the 2nd CD of the original Very Very/Relentless edition.

Before I review every main studio album I'd like to comment on PopArt. The question I have been asked recently is, should I buy PopArt if I already own the PSB albums? And the answer is most certainly yes. Why though?

These are the tracks that are exclusive to PopArt and on some other greatest hits type CDs too.

Paninaro '95
Flamboyant
DJ Culture
Somewhere
Miracles

Also many of the tracks on PopArt (but not all of them) are different to the versions on the albums. These are the tracks I thought were different when comparing the PopArt versions and the original album versions. Some are vastly different, some only a little different.

Go West
Suburbia
Always On My Mind
Home And Dry
Heart
New York City Boy
Left To My Own Devices
Being Boring
West End Girls
I Get Along
Rent
Jealousy
I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More
Yesterday, When I Was Mad
Single-Bilingual
Domino Dancing
Before
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing
It's Alright

So if you're a fan and you're buying the albums, pick up a copy of the 2CD PopArt. The DVD of PopArt is rather amazing too and totally worth buying, but that's rather offtopic as music is the subject here. I realise that 95% of the people on these forums know this already but you never know, there could be the odd person who finds this kind of information interesting.

I am rating each track for a maximum possible score of 3. And here is what each of the score ranks mean.

3 - Great to amazing. The track speaks to me, like oh wow this is good, I just have to listen to this.

2 - Average to good. I can listen to this a lot and like it but that little amazing spark is just not there for me.

1 - Poor to bad. This is not good. Something is wrong here. I just can't seem to enjoy this track much. Maybe on the odd occasion I can enjoy it. Or maybe I just need more listens to the track to fully understand it.

0 - Terrible. These are basically tracks I feel would be better not even released by the PSB.

I will also give each album a total score out of a possible maximum 3 for each track and a percentage score. And at the end will rank each album based on the percentage score.

Two Divided By Zero - 3
West End Girls - 2
Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money) - 1
Love Comes Quickly - 2
Suburbia - 3
Opportunities (Reprise) - 0
Tonight Is Forever - 1
Violence - 1
I Want A Lover - 1
Later Tonight - 2
Why Don't We Live Together - 3

My favourite track - Why Don't We Live Together
My worst track - Opportunities (Reprise)

Score 19/33 and 57.5%

Suburbia does not win my favourite as the album version though very good because I feel is just not as good as the video version. And what's up with that Opportunities (Reprise)? It's just strange and really bad. The album would be better without it.

One More Chance - 0
What Have I Done To Deserve This - 2
Shopping - 1
Rent - 3
Hit Music - 1
It Couldn't Happen Here - 0
It's A Sin - 3
I Want To Wake Up - 1
Heart - 3
King's Cross - 3

My favourite track - King's Cross
My worst track - One More Chance

Score 17/30 and 56.6%

For me this album is a lot of very good and a lot of very bad and very little in between.

Left To My Own Devices - 2
I Want A Dog - 0
Domino Dancing - 1
I'm Not Scared - 1
Always On My Mind/In My House - 2
It's Alright - 1

My favourite track - Left To My Own Devices
My worst track - I Want a Dog

Score 7/18 and 38.8%

Six extended versions of songs and nothing else. This album feels like it's made to walk right into a club with little editing needed. In that light I can understand the album. But for the average album buyer, it'd be a tough sell. For me rating these tracks, it's tough. As I'm so used to the PopArt versions of these tracks. Shorter and much more listenable. But I have to rate these based on Introspective and not PopArt.

Always On My Mind, the video version is an easy 3, but the album version here is just not as good. They should have used the extended dance mix here as the album version as it's way better.
I Want a Dog? Seriously? Did the PSB run out of material for the album so this was put on there to fill up the space on the CD? It sure feels like it.

Being Boring - 3
This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave - 1
To Face The Truth - 1
How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously - 1
Only The Wind - 2
My October Symphony - 1
So Hard - 2
Nervously - 1
The End Of The World - 1
Jealousy - 3

My favourite track - Being Boring
My worst track - This Must Be The Place I Waited Years To Leave

Score 16/30 and 53.3%

Being Boring, great track but as an opener? Bad choice for an opener I think. The shorter version I think is better. This longer version feels more worthy to be on Introspective and not Behaviour. Still as is on this album, worthy of a 3.
How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously feels like the PSB are trying to do traditional pop. And it's well not great. It's just not the PSB. It's better than the average pop singer but when compared to the high PSB standard, it does not rate high unfortunately. I like the track musically but honestly it's not that good.

Can You Forgive Her - 3
I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing - 3
Liberation - 3
A Different Point of View - 3
Dreaming Of The Queen - 0
Yesterday, When I Was Mad - 2
Theatre - 2
One And One Make Five - 2
To Speak Is A Sin - 1
Young Offender - 1
One In A Million - 2
Go West - 3

My favourite track - Liberation (But any of the 3's here could be my favourite on a different day)
My worst track - Dreaming Of The Queen

Score 25/36 and 69%

I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing - The album version for me is great. An easy 3. But I really don't like the single/video version at all.
Yesterday, When I was Mad - I like the PopArt version somewhat. But this version I like less. Just not done as well musically I think.
One In A Million - This feels a lot like Go West.

My Head Is Spinning - 1
Forever In Love - 1
Kdx 125 - 2
We Came From Outer Space - 1
The Man Who Has Everything - 1
One Thing Leads To Another - 2

My favourite track - Kdx 125
My worst track - Forever In Love

Score 8/18 and 44.4%

This 2nd cd album (rather expensive for me to purchase from Discogs) is very strange indeed. probably cause it's a Chris Lowe special. I'll add it into the mix of albums. But it's score will be out of place with the rest of the albums because it's just so different.

Discoteca - 2
Single - 2
Metamorphosis - 1
Electricity - 0
Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is) - 3
It Always Comes As A Surprise - 1
A Red Letter Day - 1
Up Against It - 2
The Survivors - 1
Before - 2
To Step Aside - 1
Saturday Night Forever - 1

My favourite track - Se A Vide E
My worst track - Electricity

Score 17/36 and 47.2%

Single - I think the PopArt version is slightly better but this one here is not that bad either.
Electricity - This is just garbage.

For Your Own Good - 1
Closer To Heaven - 3
I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More - 1
Happiness Is An Option - 0
You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk - 2
Vampires - 1
Radiophonic - 1
Only One - 3
Boy Strange - 0
In Denial - 1
New York City Boy - 3
Footsteps - 1

My favourite track - Only One
My worst track - Boy Strange

Score 17/36 and 47.2%

I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More - The stupidest PSB track name I think. I don't know what they were thinking when they thought up that one.
New York City Boy - Why this is not the opening track I'll never know. It's got that spark the album needs to open with in my opinion.
Only One - Feels a lot like a boyband song. But I like it a lot.
Boy Strange - Acoustic guitar? That's just so out of place and does not feel PSB like at all.

Home And Dry - 3
I Get Along - 3
Birthday Boy - 0
London - 1
E-Mail - 0
The Samurai In Autumn - 2
Love Is A Catastrophe - 0
Here - 1
The Night I Fell In Love - 1
You Choose - 1

My favourite track - Home And Dry
My worst track - Birthday Boy

Score 12/30 and 40.0%

Birthday Boy - More acoustic guitar? I just can't stomach this from the PSB. Even if you take that away, it's a bad song still.
London - Still more acoustic guitar but this one is not all that bad. But not all that good either.

Psychological - 2
The Sodom And Gomorrah Show - 3
I Made My Excuses And Left - 2
Minimal - 2
Numb - 2
God Willing - 2
Luna Park - 2
I'm With Stupid - 2
Casanova In Hell - 2
Twentieth Century - 2
Indefinite Leave To Remain - 1
Integral - 3

My favourite track - Integral (I especially liked this track)
My worst track - Indefinite Leave To Remain (This doesn't say much as even the worst here is pretty good still)

Score 25/36 and 69.4%

This album is certainly the PSB's darker album. And it's really good. I thought it'd be one of the worst, but it surprised me. I really enjoyed this one. Not an album to play around your children though.

Love Etc. - 3
All Over The World - 2
Beautiful People - 2
Did You See Me Coming - 3
Vulnerable - 3
More Than A Dream - 2
Building A Wall - 2
King Of Rome - 3
Pandemonium - 3
The Way It Used To Be - 3
Legacy - 0

My favourite track - Did You See Me Coming
My worst track - Legacy (Worth a negative score this one but zero is a low as I can go)

Score 26/33 and 78.7%

This is the first PSB album I ever heard.
Did You See Me Coming - This is the song that got me into liking the PSB a lot.
Legacy - This track is a cancer on an otherwise amazing PSB album. Even garbage tracks are better then this.

Leaving - 2
Invisible - 1
Winner - 3
Your Early Stuff - 2
A Face Like That - 2
Breathing Space - 2
Ego Music - 1
Hold On - 3
Give It A Go - 2
Memory Of The Future - 3
Everything Means Something - 2
Requiem In Denim And Leopardskin - 2

My favourite track - Memory Of The Future
My worst track - Ego Music

Score 25/36 and 69.4%

As much as I like the music here I am doing the ratings on disc 1. Music with vocals. This matters as I think disc 2 is better then disc 1. But I'm rating disc 1 only.

Axis - 3
Bolshy - 1
Love Is a Bourgeois Construct - 3
Fluorescent - 1
Inside a Dream - 2
The Last to Die - 3
Shouting in the Evening - 1
Thursday - 2
Vocal - 0

My favourite track - Love Is a Bourgeois Construct
My worst track - Vocal

Score 16/27 and 59.2%

Overall scores in order from highest to lowest.

Yes - 78.7%
Elysium - 69.4%
Fundamental - 69.4%
Very - 69.0%
Electric - 59.2%
Please - 57.5%
Actually - 56.6%
Behaviour - 53.3%
Bilingual - 47.2%
Nightlife - 47.2%
Relentless - 44.4%
Release - 40.0%
Introspective - 38.8%

Lastly I made a little picture in photoshop. Every album I reviewed here (except relentless) is featured here. Your job is to work out where each album is featured. Should take no longer than 1 minute to find them all, as I didn't make it hard. I was bored so I did it, that's all.

I will listen to all the albums a few times more when I have the time to really absorb the content here. As there is a lot to go through and I feel 1-2 initial listens I did for this review is not nearly enough to fully appreciate all the content here. But these are my feelings on the albums so far.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

tottenhammattspurs

Re: My review/thoughts on all of the PSB albums (Long read)

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Nice to know newcomers opinions but seriously......it couldn't happen here A ZERO???

Each to their own I suppose.

Dreaming of the queen a zero too? Track down the cubism era live version with the backdrop video of princess Diana's funeral car. Moving. And I'm not remotely a royalist.
is is and isnt isnt

425-17

#3 Post by 425-17 »

Personally I disagree with a lot of your ratings. It feels like lots of songs got low marks (while "The only one" get a 3). However, each to their own.
Honest question: Do you regret getting the albums (e.g. Behaviour)?

Markpro

#4 Post by Markpro »

It couldn't happen here =0
Winner =3

Nope, sorry...I'm out.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

jasonjohn

#5 Post by jasonjohn »

Nice read. Subjective opinions FTW :)

retrofuturist

#6 Post by retrofuturist »

jasonjohn wrote:Nice read. Subjective opinions FTW :)
+1 :lol:

DJ Fairborne

#7 Post by DJ Fairborne »

A Red Letter Day - 1? Should be a big fat 0, as it's b****y awful, but the 1 will do! I agree with the 0 score for Electricity, Birthday Boy & Boy Strange - I'm not keen on any of these tracks. But 0 for One More Chance, I Want A Dog & E-Mail? I quite like all those, but each to their own etc.

Overall though, quite an interesting read...

the8thark

#8 Post by the8thark »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:Nice to know newcomers opinions but seriously......it couldn't happen here A ZERO???

Each to their own I suppose.

Dreaming of the queen a zero too? Track down the cubism era live version with the backdrop video of princess Diana's funeral car. Moving. And I'm not remotely a royalist.
Yes. I just have different tastes to many people here that's all. And the good thing is that we all like different tracks. Would be pretty boring if we all liked the same tracks. In saying that I do want to listen to the albums s lot more in the future to understand them more. My current ratings are based on 2 full listens plus a few random track listens. That's enough for a first impression review but defo not enough to truly understand the albums and how great they really are. So by next year I'll really understand the albums and what is good and not good. But the whole point of this is more a first impressions of the albums.
425-17 wrote:Personally I disagree with a lot of your ratings. It feels like lots of songs got low marks (while "The only one" get a 3). However, each to their own.
Honest question: Do you regret getting the albums (e.g. Behaviour)?
Yes a lot did get low marks. But this is relative. To me even the 1's are better then most other other artists. There is zero regret in buying the albums. If i have the decision over again, I'd do the exact same. Despite how bleak the scores look, I think the PSB are fab, the best elctro pop group that have ever existed. And it's ok if you disagree with most of my ratings, we each have different PSB tracks we like. So the PSB cater to all of our differing tastes. Which artist can do that? Not many I'll say.

Markpro wrote:It couldn't happen here =0
Winner =3

Nope, sorry...I'm out.
Fair enough. Just our different tastes. The PSB have something for everyone.
retrofuturist wrote:
+1 :lol:
Yes I agree. But all opinions are subjective though. I just wanted to share what a newer PSB fan likes. And from the look of things it's very different to what the older PSB fan likes. Nothing wrong with that, just different is all.

DJ Fairborne wrote:A Red Letter Day - 1? Should be a big fat 0, as it's b****y awful, but the 1 will do! I agree with the 0 score for Electricity, Birthday Boy & Boy Strange - I'm not keen on any of these tracks. But 0 for One More Chance, I Want A Dog & E-Mail? I quite like all those, but each to their own etc.

Overall though, quite an interesting read...
Thank you. Red Letter Day I agree is not good, but it's listenable to me hence the 1. And yes each to their own. We all have our favourite PSB tracks.

Thank you everyone for reading what I wrote here. And despite the seemingly bleak scores I had a lot of fun listening to the albums and writing this up.

Deschanel

#9 Post by Deschanel »

Yes I agree. But all opinions are subjective though. I just wanted to share what a newer PSB fan likes. And from the look of things it's very different to what the older PSB fan likes. Nothing wrong with that, just different is all.

Point taken, but ha, sorrry, you're wrong on a lot of these songs. I did suspect it was an age thing, you weren't around when a lot of these were new. Which is of course, fine. And I'm glad you're a young fan. It's cool.

But all pop music reflects the era it was made in, it can't be helped. And when a lot of these songs were new, they were exciting to us. We were young too once, you know.

To be honest? You admitted these were "first impressions", and I find myself wondering why I should care, because some of your impressions seem shallow, and without the imagination necessary to put yourself back when the songs were written. Because like all great artists, PSB reflect their times, and even though time passes, good music goes on and on and on forever... ;)

You gave "Dreaming of the Queen" a zero? No, this is not a matter of different tastes or ages. Giving a song a zero is actively a negative stamp, it's hostile to the song. And it's a great song. For one thing, many British people do dream of the Queen. She appears on their money and stamps, she's been a presence in their lives (benevolent monarch) all of their lives. This song also came when the book Diana: Her True Story had come out. Detailing her intense unhappiness and what a sham her marriage was. Far from royalist, it described how smothering Diana felt the Palace was. "Diana dried her eyes/and looked surprised". She was a handful herself, but Diana crying then, well you didn't have to ask why. The book also revealed that Diana would sometimes take off in the middle of the night in a chauffered car to King's Cross. To invite prostitutes in to warm up on a winter's night, give them money for food and lodging in her luxury car. The idea of the Princess of Wales- the presumed future Queen - cruising the night into the low-life of London is an incredibly interesting story to me. This part is not directly addressed in either "Dreaming of the Queen" or "King's Cross" , but I think it's part of the story PSB have been telling for 30 years.

Anyway, hope not to sound too harsh. We get it, you're young, you decided to rate their albums. But time, era and context matters too.
Some appreciation of time and context would be appreciated, but if not, cool. We'll appropriately rate your comments and opinions too, it's only fair. ( If the Beatles started today, they might be moderately successful, or fail like a..lead zeppelin. )

retrofuturist

#10 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Deschanel wrote:Some appreciation of time and context would be appreciated, but if not, cool.
Yeah, but wasn't that half the point of the original post?

I've intensely followed PSB since 1988 so I share a fair bit of the "time and context" as it evolved too (despite only being 10-11 years old at the time)... and I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum do.

What is rare is to have someone who doesn't have that "time and context" cast their eye on the Pet Shop Boys catalogue, completely independent of that "time and context". That unique perspective is something to appreciate - not to mould to conformity.

Retro. :)

luca857

#11 Post by luca857 »

Nice post and nice experiment. In fact I feel some sort of envy for you, while discovering now the magical world of PSB.

And I'm ready to bet that many of your marks will change over time if you keep listening to these songs.

NikacP0kac

#12 Post by NikacP0kac »

I managed to read through to you giving I Want A Dog a big 0 so I just skipped down here to ask you...what the duck?! :D
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Andie

#13 Post by Andie »

I want a dog will always be a 3 for me! Especially on Introspective.

As everyone has said "Each to their own"
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

drunk14

#14 Post by drunk14 »

Well, it feels strange, I agree with most of the people here.

Let's count:

3/3 - 34 songs (which means they're simply great)
2/3 - 42 songs (which means they're enjoyable, but there is no deeper excitement, just solid songs)
1/3 - 44 songs (which means they're below PSB average and you probably don't like them - I'm guessing by your rates description)
0/3 - 12 songs (which means they're oh...why do they exist?)

76 great/good/fine/ok songs against 56 poor/weak/tragic tracks. Doen't look like a fan rate-compilation ;) That's why some people are confused with your project. But it's a good work. I like it.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

the8thark

#15 Post by the8thark »

Deschanel wrote:Yes I agree. But all opinions are subjective though. I just wanted to share what a newer PSB fan likes. And from the look of things it's very different to what the older PSB fan likes. Nothing wrong with that, just different is all.

Point taken, but ha, sorrry, you're wrong on a lot of these songs. I did suspect it was an age thing, you weren't around when a lot of these were new. Which is of course, fine. And I'm glad you're a young fan. It's cool.

But all pop music reflects the era it was made in, it can't be helped. And when a lot of these songs were new, they were exciting to us. We were young too once, you know.

To be honest? You admitted these were "first impressions", and I find myself wondering why I should care, because some of your impressions seem shallow, and without the imagination necessary to put yourself back when the songs were written. Because like all great artists, PSB reflect their times, and even though time passes, good music goes on and on and on forever... ;)

You gave "Dreaming of the Queen" a zero? No, this is not a matter of different tastes or ages. Giving a song a zero is actively a negative stamp, it's hostile to the song. And it's a great song. For one thing, many British people do dream of the Queen. She appears on their money and stamps, she's been a presence in their lives (benevolent monarch) all of their lives. This song also came when the book Diana: Her True Story had come out. Detailing her intense unhappiness and what a sham her marriage was. Far from royalist, it described how smothering Diana felt the Palace was. "Diana dried her eyes/and looked surprised". She was a handful herself, but Diana crying then, well you didn't have to ask why. The book also revealed that Diana would sometimes take off in the middle of the night in a chauffered car to King's Cross. To invite prostitutes in to warm up on a winter's night, give them money for food and lodging in her luxury car. The idea of the Princess of Wales- the presumed future Queen - cruising the night into the low-life of London is an incredibly interesting story to me. This part is not directly addressed in either "Dreaming of the Queen" or "King's Cross" , but I think it's part of the story PSB have been telling for 30 years.

Anyway, hope not to sound too harsh. We get it, you're young, you decided to rate their albums. But time, era and context matters too.
Some appreciation of time and context would be appreciated, but if not, cool. We'll appropriately rate your comments and opinions too, it's only fair. ( If the Beatles started today, they might be moderately successful, or fail like a..lead zeppelin. )
Thanks for your reply.
First impressions matter. A first impression does not make an artist good or bad. But for many of us, that first impression is what we will use to decide if we should further investigate the artist more or not. I can understand how you feel how this all feels pointless. But remember back to the day you first heard the PSB's music. If that initial song was not good, would you have become a PSB fan today? Well for the answer to that is honestly I don't know. It'd take another fan to tell me to really give them a chance.

Of course context matters. I understand all of the princess Diana story. And I know it affected the world. I was just basing my rating on the song and not the story behind it. The story is very interesting and in some ways quite shocking, a Princess traversing the low end streets would be such a scandal. The story told in the song is amazing, I just didn't like the music chosen that's all. Also the PSB have fans from different eras. Not everyone will understand the context of every song. And that goes doubly so for the PSB as many of their songs have a strong context they deal with but not always said in the most straight forward ways in the song. But that's the generational gap. People will always understand the issues in their own era the best because they were alive at the time and it happened around them. That experience is something no book can teach you.

So yes I don't have that. Diana died in 1997. I was 12 in 1997. I basically did this whole topic because a few people wanted to hear a newer fan's opinions on the songs. And as it turns out it's very different to the older fans opinions. "We'll appropriately rate your comments and opinions too, it's only fair." That is fair. That only brings about more constructive discussion. I get your point about context. No offence taken at all. I will eventually go back in time, using geowayne's great site as a start. In a way the PSB are telling history as they saw it. Well parts of it. Not many artists can do this. But music is part story/fact telling and also part entertainment. As good as the story behind a song is, the execution of this in lyrics and music is not always the best. I rated the songs based on the lyrics and music. Of cause these ratings will change over time, but that's a given, as with any good artist, a few listens is never enough to understand everything the song is saying/doing.

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Deschanel wrote:Some appreciation of time and context would be appreciated, but if not, cool.
Yeah, but wasn't that half the point of the original post?

I've intensely followed PSB since 1988 so I share a fair bit of the "time and context" as it evolved too (despite only being 10-11 years old at the time)... and I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum do.

What is rare is to have someone who doesn't have that "time and context" cast their eye on the Pet Shop Boys catalogue, completely independent of that "time and context". That unique perspective is something to appreciate - not to mould to conformity.

Retro. :)
Thanks for your reply.
That is my point exactly. How does someone without all that history view the PSB back catalogue. And I feel honoured to learn about all the context you all have (from reading these forums). In a way you all are passing the music down the generations, from your generation, to my generation. And it'll be my job to pass it down to the next generation again. So this music never dies and always is remembered for how great it is. Yes I know the PSB are still around and are still making music. But how many people under 30 know about the albums Very and earlier? Not too many I would say. It's an amazing back catalogue that I hope is never forgotten.
luca857 wrote:Nice post and nice experiment. In fact I feel some sort of envy for you, while discovering now the magical world of PSB.

And I'm ready to bet that many of your marks will change over time if you keep listening to these songs.
Thank you. And in a way I envy you as you could experience the music as it was coming out, and in it's rich context. I have a mountain of material in front of me.Very few of you have had 8-10 PSB unheard PSB albums in front of you all at the same time. I've had 2-3 weeks to experience music, you've all had 20+ years to experience. It's a very different way to experience the music. But I look forward to listen it all more and more.
NikacP0kac wrote:I managed to read through to you giving I Want A Dog a big 0 so I just skipped down here to ask you...what the duck?! :D
Different tastes I guess. But really to me it just feels like filler material. The version of it on Alternative is pretty not all that bad. But I had to rate Introspective as it is.

Andie wrote:I want a dog will always be a 3 for me! Especially on Introspective.

As everyone has said "Each to their own"
That's great. We all have our own different PSB tracks we like. But the one thing we all agree on is overall the PSB are damn good.
drunk14 wrote:Well, it feels strange, I agree with most of the people here.

Let's count:

3/3 - 34 songs (which means they're simply great)
2/3 - 42 songs (which means they're enjoyable, but there is no deeper excitement, just solid songs)
1/3 - 44 songs (which means they're below PSB average and you probably don't like them - I'm guessing by your rates description)
0/3 - 12 songs (which means they're oh...why do they exist?)

76 great/good/fine/ok songs against 56 poor/weak/tragic tracks. Doen't look like a fan rate-compilation ;) That's why some people are confused with your project. But it's a good work. I like it.
The 1 songs are ones I think are below PSB average yes. But remember the PSB average is very high. Quite a few tracks were on the 1/2 borderline but I compared them to more certain 2's and rated them this way. I don't hate the 1's at all. Just can't see them being played a lot by me is all because I feel something is off with them. But I will admit the 1's need more listens to fully understand them.

The 2's for me have lots of enjoyment. I play them a lot. But to me only the songs I found super super amazing did I give 3. In a way like how a restaurant gets michelin stars. A 2 star restaurant is still damn good. And people fully love eating there and would pay for the privilege. But the 3 star restaurants are a rare treat that people who visit them are just "wow". And I treated the 3 rating here too. I could really like a song but it only gets a 2 because it has to have that real wow factor for me. That hear it once and just have to own the album kind of wow. And to me that is a rare thing. So in short:
2's and 3's I like a lot. A big fan of all of these. Not many 2's were average. They were all good to very good. But to me great/amazing is a rare thing, hence I really only gave 3's out in that spirit. You can safely assume I like most of the 2's a lot.

The 0's you are right. So far I fail to understand their reason for inclusion on the albums. That's now, but give it a few years and who knows.

I was a little harsh on my ratings, but that in no way understates my like of the PSB. By any other artists standards, the PSB quality is mostly 2's and 3's. As the other artist's average song quality is pretty low.