Chris or Neil's Net Worth?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: Chris or Neil's Net Worth?

#61 Post by TallThinMan » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm

Deschanel wrote:I suspect New Order signed a crap record contract in the 80's when they were doing their best work. Which had to be split four ways.
All of New Order's money went into keeping the Haçienda nightclub running. It's well documented, particularly in Hooky's The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club book.

Riikka

#62 Post by Riikka » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 9:29 pm

PSBForTheMasses wrote:What about their impressive backcatalogue? At least 20 albums, 5 or 6 DVDs etc. Neither item is out of stock (well except maybe the Relentless) and when a new fan is introduced to their music, it sort of becomes addiction to buy everything they have released, and let me tell you, they come not that cheap. You have to pay a small fortune to collect all their output.
Not necessarily. When I became a fan (2007), I bought most of the back catalogue as used CDs and DVDs. I've only paid full prices for the new releases. You can find those regular used CDs very cheaply if you search for them. Besides, most of PSB music is on Spotify nowadays.

Disco.

#63 Post by Disco. » Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:01 pm

They should take their music off Spotify, being on Spotify is a ripp off.

Flaffer

#64 Post by Flaffer » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 1:41 am

jamie1978 wrote:
Flaffer wrote:
jamie1978 wrote:yes, these days they have plenty of money

the Take That stadium tour netted them £2m+ alone
source ?
Try using your brain.

They charge £100k for a festival appearance, and it was well documented that they refused to do the shows several times until eventually they were offered a deal which was essentially too good to refuse.

Take the number of dates and then multiply it by their fee. It was probably well over £2m in total, that is a conservative estimate. Hiring the Pet Shop Boys for a month does not come

cheap.
What I simply adore is your arrogance whilst using the term "probably". But thank you for the calculation that £100,000 times by 20 (at least) comes to £2,000,000. I am sure none of us could calculate that without the benefit of your towering intellect and inside knowledge of PSB and their income. Best not to be so arrogant when one is ignorant, perhaps you are privy to the contracts signed prior to the Take That support in which case you should omit "probably"
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Deschanel

#65 Post by Deschanel » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 3:41 am

TallThinMan wrote:
Deschanel wrote:I suspect New Order signed a crap record contract in the 80's when they were doing their best work. Which had to be split four ways.
All of New Order's money went into keeping the Haçienda nightclub running. It's well documented, particularly in Hooky's The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club book.

Ugh, that's even worse. That is not sound financial planning. To sink all of it into a nightclub in Manchester? As famous as it was. Honestly, all of it? That is..terrible financial planning. I suspect PSB were much smarter about things like this.

Maybe New Order's parents were right and they all ought to have gotten proper jobs. :)

Riikka

#66 Post by Riikka » Sat 03 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

Disco. wrote:They should take their music off Spotify, being on Spotify is a ripp off.
But thank god they are NOT going to do that as far as I know! How awful it would be to find nearly all popular bands in Spotify EXCEPT Pet Shop Boys. That would be a major catastrophe.

the8thark

#67 Post by the8thark » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:49 am

PSBForTheMasses wrote:What about their impressive backcatalogue? At least 20 albums, 5 or 6 DVDs etc. Neither item is out of stock (well except maybe the Relentless) and when a new fan is introduced to their music, it sort of becomes addiction to buy everything they have released, and let me tell you, they come not that cheap. You have to pay a small fortune to collect all their output. Besides even in Turkey, where international record sales are laughable, you can find the majority of their catalogue at the full price.

Doesn't that huge backcatalogue bring in some considerable trickle of income, even if it is not flooding?
Well if you want every Studio PSB album (12 of them) + the PopArt DVD (for the videos) + Alternative and Format for Bsides + Performance and Pandemonium (for their best 2 live dvds) - the total cost is:

£124.24 on Amazon UK. That is not very expensive at all for 14 albums + 3 dvds. An average of £7.30 each item.

Most people would just pick up the PopArt 2CD or DVD collection and be done with it. Only the fans would want every album.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Disco.

#68 Post by Disco. » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

Riikka wrote:
Disco. wrote:They should take their music off Spotify, being on Spotify is a ripp off.
But thank god they are NOT going to do that as far as I know! How awful it would be to find nearly all popular bands in Spotify EXCEPT Pet Shop Boys. That would be a major catastrophe.
More bands are taking their music off Spotify, because they are being paid next to notning.

wieske

#69 Post by wieske » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:29 pm

Think they both lost a huge amount of money with the ballet The Most Incredible Thing. Looks like it was a very expensive production to made which only had two runs of performances. By the way: what's the future for The Most Incredible Thing? Where is the tour they were talking about? They have their pants ripped I think...
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

rabagast

#70 Post by rabagast » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:28 pm

The ballet was a commisioned work, and not produced by PSB. The theatre paid for it. And it was considered a big success, BTW

jamie1978

#71 Post by jamie1978 » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm

Flaffer wrote:
What I simply adore is your arrogance whilst using the term "probably". But thank you for the calculation that £100,000 times by 20 (at least) comes to £2,000,000. I am sure none of us could calculate that without the benefit of your towering intellect and inside knowledge of PSB and their income. Best not to be so arrogant when one is ignorant, perhaps you are privy to the contracts signed prior to the Take That support in which case you should omit "probably"
so I'm right but my wording is a bit sloppy?

please accept my ~internet forum apologies~

wieske

#72 Post by wieske » Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:49 pm

rabagast wrote:The ballet was a commisioned work, and not produced by PSB. The theatre paid for it. And it was considered a big success, BTW
No doubt the ballet was a big success (saw the performance two times - I even attended the premiere), but what about the (UK) tour they were going to make with this production? Didn't they found enough sponsors (money) to get it on the road? The production and creation of The Most Incredible Thing was probably a tough job (in different ways, financial as well), so it would be a pity when the ballet wouldn't performed again in the future...
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Flaffer

#73 Post by Flaffer » Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:30 pm

jamie1978 wrote:
Flaffer wrote:
so I'm right but my wording is a bit sloppy?

please accept my ~internet forum apologies~
so you are an insider to PSB and their business dealings, so you know categorically what they got paid for being the support act?; sorry being 'part of the show' As you probably are a highly place insider could I PM you with an offer for Chris Lowes house, which I believe is currently up for sale ?
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

geowayne

#74 Post by geowayne » Sat 21 Oct 2017, 12:51 am

The website http://net-worths.com/ estimates Neil's financial net worth at US$14 million (approx. UK£10.6 million) and Chris's at US$12 million (approx. UK£9.1 million). Not sure why there's a substantial difference except perhaps Neil has had a few more "outside" activities and maybe has invested more of his money and/or more wisely -- who knows? Of course, I certainly can't vouch for the accuracy of these figures.

To offer a telling contrast, the same site estimates Bruce Springsteen's financial net worth at $345 million.

Disco.

#75 Post by Disco. » Sat 21 Oct 2017, 1:08 am

Its just guesses, no one really knows. They are well off thats for sure. They make a lot of money from touring, the last time they played the Roskilde Festival in Denmark, they were paid 250,000 $.