Love is a bourgeois construct

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Re: Love is a bourgeois construct

#16 Post by Undertaker »

Love is a bourgeois construct blows everything else away imo. Yet everything else is nigh on brilliant anyway.

It's PSB at their best. 'Old Ground' is what made them geniuses in the first place. It's not a bad ground to tread 8)

popfreak

#17 Post by popfreak »

I can't get into this song either. Can everyone who loves it enlighten me why it's so good. Psb at their best to me means a track that builds, has a strong hook, a great chorus and stunning melody. This track for me has none of that. It doesn't go anywhere the sample is awful and feels embarrassing. If this was released as a single I think it would sink without a trace. I hate being negative as I love he rest of he album.

boyjohn

#18 Post by boyjohn »

I think the verses are very hooky and have a beautiful melody, although I wonder if a chorus would help it a bit. It kind of reminds me of those Bob Dylan songs that go on and on with verse after verse. Not sure about it being a single, although if YouTube views are anything to go by, this has about double the views of any of the 7 songs that were put up the other day
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

FormerEnfantTerrible

#19 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

Tom Angel wrote:I think this needs a poll!

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this song. Perhaps expectation outstripped my doubt about the title, but although I like I, it's a bit cheesy, and not a patch on a red letter day. It's basically a hi nrg version of a classical song, as they did with hold on (amongst others) which is presenting diminishing returns. I was hoping for a huge cousin to Left to my own devices, but much that I love Price's production, this song needed Trevor Horn. It simply doesn't go anywhere.
Hold on...HI NRG?
Did You See Me Coming?

Tom Angel

#20 Post by Tom Angel »

Of course hold on isn't hi-nrg, but it's built around a classical sample, that doesn't really work (it's ok, but..). Love is a bourgeois construct certainly is hi nrg though
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Danger

#21 Post by Danger »

Listening to it right now... This song gives me addiction.

JSDOUVRES

#22 Post by JSDOUVRES »

Has to be the next single, and the fact it has a radio edit or too makes it pretty likely, Love the track, it is fantastic, PSB at their best!

TheMatrix

#23 Post by TheMatrix »

Love the song! One of the best on Electric.
Stay the course or change it up?

Jimmyboy40

#24 Post by Jimmyboy40 »

It certainly don't need a chorus, for me its a stonker, only just , I think with them sometimes, its a fine line between sublime and totally naff and OTT camp, this song just,i mean Just stays the right side of that , thanks in no part to the lyrics, I could do without the Go West style Chorus if I'm honest, I think they took inspiration from working with Xenomania hear me out!! only in the fact that some of Girls Alouds best moments almost are like a string of excellent verses, it also great because people always moan about the verse, chorus, Bridge, Chorus structure but to hear a song that is not like that is superb and makes a change, also lightens the mood a little as the excellent trio of Flourescent , Inside a dream, and last to die are all pretty serious tracks.

Having said all that I don't want a OTT Single version, with NT's Vocals auto tuned to death with added Camp thankyou very much

Danger

#25 Post by Danger »

I hope that PSB will can release a good radio edit: Sodom was not been a single 'cos PSB could not release a satisfying radio edit.

Nickname

#26 Post by Nickname »

Danger wrote:I hope that PSB will can release a good radio edit: Sodom was not been a single 'cos PSB could not release a satisfying radio edit.
There is a real one and REALLY good. It was on the official site long time ago.

Trixiemix

#27 Post by Trixiemix »

I'm not a million miles from the 'Goldhawk road'.......just through Chiswick and carry on......:O)
Back to Trafalgar.........

prospect

#28 Post by prospect »

At least one glaring musical howler that would make Purcell turn in his grave. The song was growing on me until then, but it's going to take a few lightyears before I get to like the naff 'bourgeoisie' ad infinitum.

retrofuturist

#29 Post by retrofuturist »

2nd favourite on the album after Axis.

simonm

#30 Post by simonm »

Love, love, love Love is a bourgeois construct.

An extended instrumental was mailed out to DJ's on Friday evening.