Love is a bourgeois construct

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tom Angel

Love is a bourgeois construct

#1 Post by Tom Angel »

I think this needs a poll!

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this song. Perhaps expectation outstripped my doubt about the title, but although I like I, it's a bit cheesy, and not a patch on a red letter day. It's basically a hi nrg version of a classical song, as they did with hold on (amongst others) which is presenting diminishing returns. I was hoping for a huge cousin to Left to my own devices, but much that I love Price's production, this song needed Trevor Horn. It simply doesn't go anywhere.
Last edited by Tom Angel on Thu 18 Jul 2013, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

romy

Re: Love is a bourgeois construct

#2 Post by romy »

One of the greatest songs ever!!!!its in my top 5 Pet Shop Boys Songs(together with "Rent" "Always on my mind" "So hard" and "Pandemonium".This will be a propper single in august or september with cd,vinyl,and download,I expect.

transforce

#3 Post by transforce »

I don't know how ANYBODY could be disappointed by this song. it is wonderful!

Tom Angel

#4 Post by Tom Angel »

It feels like old ground a little. I'm not sure i like the filtered strings.
I must admit to feeling strange for my liking this song as much as I expected. I DEF prefer Thursday.
I guess Love is a bourgeois construct is for the more happily clappy hi-nrg fans- the shining late 70s dance floor of Go West amd where the streets have no name, whereas Thursday is for the more urban, seedier side of psb nightlife, the west end girls, rent and I want a lover side of things

I do however like it, but as a single will only confirm non-fans belief that psb went a 'bit gay anthem', whereas Thursday has genuine cross over appeal and sounds like it could be blaring from car windows throughout the summer.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Corina

#5 Post by Corina »

romy wrote:One of the greatest songs ever!!!!its in my top 5 Pet Shop Boys Songs(together with "Rent" "Always on my mind" "So hard" and "Pandemonium".This will be a propper single in august or september with cd,vinyl,and download,I expect.
Attachments
GRUMPY.jpg
GRUMPY.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

Spittingcat

#6 Post by Spittingcat »

Still feels like the weakest track on the album to me... that being said, it's still really very good.

WHAT AN ALBUM!

agent doris

#7 Post by agent doris »

Definitely a grower. Wasn't impressed at first but love it now. Looking forward to getting the radio edits.

Danger

#8 Post by Danger »

romy wrote:One of the greatest songs ever!!!!its in my top 5 Pet Shop Boys Songs(together with "Rent" "Always on my mind" "So hard" and "Pandemonium".This will be a propper single in august or september with cd,vinyl,and download,I expect.
Too early to can say that it's in my PSB top5 but for sure it's the best single possible since Love Etc.

y3potential

#9 Post by y3potential »

Tom Angel wrote:I think this needs a poll!

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in this song. Perhaps expectation outstripped my doubt about the title, but although I like I, it's a bit cheesy, and not a patch on a red letter day. It's basically a hi nrg version of a classical song, that like hold on, is presenting diminishing returns. I was hoping for a cousin to Left to my own devices, but much that I love Price's production, this song needed Trevor Horn.
I'm so glad you've said this. I too was expecting something spectacular after hearing all the comments regarding this track beforehand, but for me it's the only song on the album that I just can't get into. I mentioned elsewhere that to me it sounds like a Spitting Image parody of Pet Shop Boys circa the "Very" era.

I may come to like it more in time... :? The rest of the album is fantastic, though..! :dance: :dance: :dance:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Bjossi

#10 Post by Bjossi »

It grew on me very fast. It didn't move me when I first heard it in the low quality live recordings but I fell in love with the piece from the Paris listening session. I seriously hope my copy of Electric will arrive before the weekend so I can give this bad boy a proper full listen and review.

Corina

#11 Post by Corina »

y3potential wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that to me it sounds like a Spitting Image parody of Pet Shop Boys circa the "Very" era.

....The rest of the album is fantastic, though..! :dance: :dance: :dance:
+1!
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

the8thark

#12 Post by the8thark »

To me Love is a bourgeois construct is the best track of the album by far. Amazing in every way. How Vocal became a single and not this straight up is beyond me. Vocal has nothing on this track. I think this track more then any other on Electric sums up what the PSB is. Great beat, over the top almost grandeur of sound, slow vocals (as in sung slow), NT saying I'm old, needs very little work to be good on stage or in a club etc etc.

I initially thought this would be the weakest track on the album, when the song titles were released. And I was so so wrong. This is the only track on the album that gets a 10/10 for me.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Disco.

#13 Post by Disco. »

Vocal is SO much better than LIBC, this is Psb treading old ground.

y3potential

#14 Post by y3potential »

Disco. wrote:Vocal is SO much better than LIBC, this is Psb treading old ground.

+1 :up:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

transforce

#15 Post by transforce »

I think Vocal is a second place single to this, however I'm sure the clever Pet Shop Boys know they have a great single with Love is a bourgeois construct and will definitely release it with big thrills and heavy promotion, then I think we will see a heavy re-entry to the charts with Electric.
We can all storm Radio 1 and demand they play it. Looking at the current R1 playlist there really isn't any chance they'll slip this one in :(