"VOCAL" (the video)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
FormerEnfantTerrible

Re: "VOCAL" (the video)

#61 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

Oh, Axis was such a great video! No wonder why it has almost 700.000 views...PSB are making a big mistake when they think that videos aren't a big deal today, since they are bigger today than ever with Youtube. This video wouldn't be as bad if it at least had some modern footage, like showing the PSB watching the video in an old TV or something. If I didn't know what I was watching, I would think thid is some old and cheap 90's vid. I like the Winner video so much more now! Trust me, I don't like to complain, but I hate this thing, it makes me cry...HOWEVER, I PREFER HAVING AN UGLY VID THAN NONE! THANKS BOYS
Did You See Me Coming?

jasonjohn

#62 Post by jasonjohn »

I agree re:youtube being an important stream for them.

btw I think the video is meant to be retro and hipster :) It works on that level.

prospect

#63 Post by prospect »

Just in time to dust off that bucket hat before Thursday evening...

'av it!

DJ Fairborne

#64 Post by DJ Fairborne »

Well, I'm rather disappointed with the video for "Vocal", as it looks like some fan-made job, using their old home movies footage, from the 90's! There's one bit where the quality of the footage is so bad (I guess it's from an old VHS tape), you can see the ghosting effect! It's all very well to reminisce in nostalgia about the past, which is no bad thing, but if they wanted do a video with that idea, surely someone involved could've come up with something better than this one! A load of teenagers dancing around in a field circa-1990 would've been good back in '95 for something like "Sorted For E's & Wizz" by Pulp, but not in 2013 by PSB etc. I guess I was expecting something similar to both the "Axis" video & the "Flourescent" teaser, which at least look like they had a bit of time & money spent on them etc.

Oh well, I guess it's one of the few PSB videos I won't be playing often! (The others being "Paninaro '95", "Home And Dry" & "Numb").

Pani

#65 Post by Pani »

As if videos matter that much. For me, they don't matter. The music is what counts.

Nickname

#66 Post by Nickname »

Some Hungarian fans here?. Vocal is #6 on itunes of that country.

Corina

#67 Post by Corina »

There are many Hungarian PSB fans, but most of them aren`t here as far as I know.
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

le petit corbusier

#68 Post by le petit corbusier »

I think I see Neil at 1:44 and a very young Chris at 2:33. Am I mistaken?
Look left, then right
And run for your life

raggatwin

#69 Post by raggatwin »

.....I think you are mistaken.....
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

le petit corbusier

#70 Post by le petit corbusier »

raggatwin wrote:.....I think you are mistaken.....
lol!

I see things, you know.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

raggatwin

#71 Post by raggatwin »

Lol.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Remark

#72 Post by Remark »

Hillbilly wrote:I haven't liked any official PSB video since "Minimal". All those great videos they made in the 80s and 90s... the PopArt DVD! What happened?
Minimal video was ACE. We need more videos like that one for sure. Clean, sophisticated, cool, and minimal. And with Neil and Chris in it.

- Remark

http://www.remarkcentral.com

psb-freak

#73 Post by psb-freak »

Somehow I started to think about Home and Dry when I saw the video. And even the extended video of Go West. Oh well, I think H & D is the best out of those 3 but still I think this video is weird. I would have wanted to see Neil and Chris in it. I hope the next video will feature them as well.
Interviewer:
-What would you tell someone about yourself if you wanted to impress them?

Chris:
-I´ve got a 12-inch plonker.

retrofuturist

#74 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Nice idea for a video, but I think some of the footage is a bit too crap.

The highlight for me was seeing someone wearing a Pop Will Eat Itself t-shirt in a Pet Shop Boys video.

It's the best Pet Shop Boys video since Axis.

Retro. :)

Deschanel

#75 Post by Deschanel »

It's ...interesting. Some of the visual blurs at the very beginning immediately reminded me of Love Comes Quickly, and I got my hopes up. Alas. I think the amateur, archival stock footage of raves etc. are interesting to those of us who were young then (a lot of us?). But not very visually pleasing, aesthetically kind of a mess. It doesn't look as fun as the song sounds. That I do like the mix of VHS video with Super-8 film is one weak compliment I can give (and yes, in the late 80's arty yoof were still running around with Super-8 cams, like me).

I'm pretty sure PSB don't appear in this at all. Almost certain. And, sorry to say, I think Vocal deserved a better video than this. The young people that I'd hoped might be attracted by the song probably won't be charmed by the video. "How 90's!" is what they'll say derisively. If they watch it at all, it's kind of an eyesore of a video.