Leak (maybe) soon? (Please see Admin Warning, pages 14 & 16)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Zog

Leak (maybe) soon? (Please see Admin Warning, pages 14 & 16)

#1 Post by Zog »

It seems that more and more reviewers have heard "Electric" (David Walliams got a promo copy too) ... and this means more chances for a leak IMO.

What say the rest of you?

-Zog
New Stuff
*** “Back-Track” - Retro Funk Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... k-mix-2018
*** “Cydonia” - Techno Mix (MAS 2018)
https://soundcloud.com/martin-ashwoodsm ... x-mas-2018

minimalpsb

Re: Leak (maybe) soon?

#3 Post by minimalpsb »

I few weeks, we know more i hope.

Many famous people and music magazines has the promo version of Electric
13th June 2014 Birmingham LG Arena///14th July 2014 Live at Sunset Zurich
//20th July 2016 Live in London / 2016 Cologne / 2016 Hamburg / 2017 Hannover

2021 Hamburg, Berlin :dance:

minimal

#4 Post by minimal »

It's only one month until the release of Electric so I don't know why they do not at least feed us with some snippets. Well, they're probably too old-fashioned to do so.

m+

TheGardner

#5 Post by TheGardner »

they all got a "watermarked" copy of the album or at least such CD-R was played to them!
Those copies are numbered, named and burned with "watermarked" audio files! If someone would leak these tracks, they could be tracked by their names easily, so the company staff know, who they are and bringing them into trouble for leaking copyrighted and unofficial stuff...bla bla etc...!
In the end: everyone (of those elite persons) would carefully watch out, not to lost his/her copy of the entire album...

Piotrek

#6 Post by Piotrek »

I think most reviewers get access to the album via a stream over the internet. Which surprises me that one of them doesn't simply record the album through their sound card. Not too tech savvy these reviewers if you ask me ;).

tottenhammattspurs

#7 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Piotrek wrote:I think most reviewers get access to the album via a stream over the internet. Which surprises me that one of them doesn't simply record the album through their sound card. Not too tech savvy these reviewers if you ask me ;).
Even more old school would be to record-as-live straight to a mini-disc then to an audio CD-r, or straight to an audio only CD-r. Analogue signals won't carry those digital watermarks.

Allegedly :shock:
is is and isnt isnt

Tom Angel

#8 Post by Tom Angel »

Why would I illegally record the stream? Musicians deserve to be paid for their music, or it'll stop being made.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

jamie1978

#9 Post by jamie1978 »

Tom Angel wrote:Why would I illegally record the stream? Musicians deserve to be paid for their music, or it'll stop being made.
touring

that is how recording artists make money these days, indeed some artists are happy for their work to be widespreadly pirated/illegally downloaded, since it means more potential fans for gigs/concerts

KingofRome

#10 Post by KingofRome »

It is so boring to have to wait forever to hear an album that has been finished months ago! In the internet era, i don't get the point of the waiting! Die-hard fans want to hear the new tracks, illegaly because they have no choice! we will buy the album anyway or see them on tour

Tom Angel

#11 Post by Tom Angel »

jamie1978 wrote:
Tom Angel wrote:Why would I illegally record the stream? Musicians deserve to be paid for their music, or it'll stop being made.
touring

that is how recording artists make money these days, indeed some artists are happy for their work to be widespreadly pirated/illegally downloaded, since it means more potential fans for gigs/concerts
That doesn't justify it at all. People expect something for nothing and it changes the entire dynamic. As to PSB, they generally LOSE money when they tour.

Why can't people just be patient and wait to buy it instead of wanting to get a carefully-crafted album, that's taken time and money, for free?
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Debussy

#12 Post by Debussy »

I dont expect it for nothing, I'd download a leak, but also buy two copies. I just get frustrated that labels and artists hype their product way before it's available to buy. Perhaps we're early adopters or 'ahead of the curve' but if they're going to promote the hell out of it (to proper fans) then please make it available to buy. The mainstream, or casual fan, won't realise they're waiting and just buy it when it's out and the marketing tells them it's available

Hats off making Axis and Vocal available immediately though. Oh, it seems I've just negated my argument.

tottenhammattspurs

#13 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

I think the marketing strategy for Electric has been spot on so far. Unlike Invisible last year, the first track available from the upcoming album was immediately made available to down load. A couple of thousand 99p's are a bonus to just pre-releasing the track. Same for vocal. It's gets played and within 48 hours, you can buy it. Us hardcore fans are buying it because we want to hear it. the casual fan will buy the album, not knowing two tracks have already been made available.

As for illegal downloading, with regard to the Boys material, i always buy the originals in a few formats as well, so overall, they arent missing out.
I remember Ed Sheeran having the accolade of being the most illegally downloaded artist last year. He replied with the fact that it's 8 million more people who are getting to hear him and eventually buy a concert ticket.
is is and isnt isnt

Luke Colorado

#14 Post by Luke Colorado »

I agree that artists should be paid whatever they demand for every second of their product, but the idea that music will die because of filesharing is bull$hit.

Plenty of young artists a quite prolific and have never known a world without downloads and sharing. If you're compelled enough to be a working musician you will find a way to pay the bills.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Nickname

#15 Post by Nickname »

What about the Amazon's spinets of "Electric"?.