Promotion for "Vocal"?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

Promotion for "Vocal"?

#1 Post by nickname » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

It's not playlisted on Radio 2:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/music-events/playlist/

In fact, "Vocal" hasn't been played on any station the last month.

Undertaker

Re: Promotion for "Vocal"?

#2 Post by Undertaker » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:03 pm

nickname wrote:It's not playlisted on Radio 2:

How did everybody hear it then?

bookshopboy

#3 Post by bookshopboy » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

I've heard it three times on Radio 2. And it's not really the right genre for Radio 2 either.

NikacP0kac

#4 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

It gets played on Thursdays only.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

tottenhammattspurs

#5 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:49 pm

People hear music now via youtube. The average Joe who this is aimed at, outside of the fanbase, is not going to listen to Radio 2, daytime or otherwise. The younger generation will find it on youtube and through links recommended by tweets etc.

Sad i know but thats the way it is... (to paraphrase Bruce Hornsby)
is is and isnt isnt

One of the crowd

#6 Post by One of the crowd » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 3:57 pm

nickname wrote:It's not playlisted on Radio 2:

WRONG!!!!!

http://petshopboys.co.uk/pettexts/3995/201306

01 June 2013

Dave Pearce gets Vocal

DJ Dave Pearce will be giving the first play of the radio edit of "Vocal", the new single by Pet Shop Boys, tonight during his BBC Radio 2 show, "Dance Years", which is broadcast at 10 pm. "Vocal" comes from the new PSB album, "Electric", released in July.
Fishing

ZiggyPSB

#7 Post by ZiggyPSB » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Radio is so old-fashioned these days, no matter how some of us still like to listen to it. Radio has passed it as a source for promotion.
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

jamie1978

#8 Post by jamie1978 » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

still, 10million people listen to Radio 2 each week in the UK

that said, 20 million listen to State of Trance...

Tenlow

#9 Post by Tenlow » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

jamie1978 wrote:that said, 20 million listen to State of Trance...
Yeah, but worldwide not in the UK alone.

Still, radio is obviously not as important as it used to be but it still does help a song if it is on heavy rotation on the big stations. It is true that Youtube is of big importance today, but generally speaking there is not a hit that gets solely watched on Youtube but not played on the radio and, of course, vice versa...
http://www.facebook.com/MisterFDF

"The problem is PSB haven't released an impressive single since "Go West"." (nickname)

Kris

#10 Post by Kris » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

Daytime Radio 2 doesn't playlist anything without a confirmed release date.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Gary1962

#11 Post by Gary1962 » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:25 pm

As with "Axis" the track hasn't troubled the Top 100, Axis made 196 if I remember correctly,not even sure "Vocal" has dented the Top 200, doesn't bode well for the album. It seems despite trying to attract a younger new audience it is still only die hard fans buying the latest "Single" releases. I have had a bad feeling about this album since hearing "Axis" and that feeling has changed after hearing the other tracks. For PSB's sake I hope I am wrong about my doubts for the album "Electric".
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Candyland Joe

#12 Post by Candyland Joe » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

It's not really a Radio 2 kind of song, is it? I'd be quite happy for them to move away from that, with 'Yes' and 'Elysium' being their weakest (IMO) and most 'contemporary Radio 2' offerings to date.

Drico One

#13 Post by Drico One » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:53 pm

What are your "doubts" for the album, Gary? You seem to be labouring under the nicknamesque notion that they'll be cracking the charts as they approach 60.

Fair dues. My doubts about each album concern whether I'll like the record or not - and not much else. It's reassuring to know that sections of the fanbase take the broader perspective and have the financial interests of the two millionaires at heart. :up:

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Palpatine

#14 Post by Palpatine » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

Drico One wrote:What are your "doubts" for the album, Gary? You seem to be labouring under the nicknamesque notion that they'll be cracking the charts as they approach 60.

Fair dues. My doubts about each album concern whether I'll like the record or not - and not much else. It's reassuring to know that sections of the fanbase take the broader perspective and have the commercial interests of the two millionaires at heart. :up:

Drico.
+1 :up:

It really amazes me that there are still fans who suffer from nickname-itis, i.e. "if they only released X as a single, they'd have a Top 10 hit again and it will be just like 1988!".

Seriously, be glad that they're still making quality records almost 30 years on.

jut2k

#15 Post by jut2k » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:52 pm

Gary1962 wrote:As with "Axis" the track hasn't troubled the Top 100, Axis made 196 if I remember correctly,not even sure "Vocal" has dented the Top 200, doesn't bode well for the album. It seems despite trying to attract a younger new audience it is still only die hard fans buying the latest "Single" releases. I have had a bad feeling about this album since hearing "Axis" and that feeling has changed after hearing the other tracks. For PSB's sake I hope I am wrong about my doubts for the album "Electric".
What? If you're not enjoying Axis or Vocal (and therefore not excited about "Electric") then I'd question what it is you want. And forget single chart positions, everyone else has. Seriously, get on board and embrace this late career fab-ness, or get off.