Vocal - Fake Vinyl Effect?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Luke Colorado

Vocal - Fake Vinyl Effect?

#1 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned so maybe it's my earphones (and my car stereo) but I hear some stylus sounds at moments in Vocal.

Please tell me they did not add fake vinyl sounds?!?! So lame.... almost as lame as putting the sound of a cheering in your track.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Bjossi

Re: Vocal - Fake Vinyl Effect?

#2 Post by Bjossi » Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

I noticed this sound in the Fluorescent teaser and I really like its presence to be honest.

Deschanel

#3 Post by Deschanel » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:25 am

I hate scratchy fake vinyl effects. I'm old enough to have grown up with vinyl, and what a pain in the ass high-maintenance format it was. Easily scratched, so you'd remember which songs had the scratch on them. Vinyl was a pain, believe me in the 80's CDs were a godsend. I don't understand the fetishization of vinyl as some sort of perfect sonic perfection as a medium. It was far from it. Hipster nostalgia for vinyly LPs annoys me, they were a pain in the ass. And unless you had a hugely expensive stereo system, vinyl sounded just okay, decent to good. Worth noting that in the 80's the audiophiles with the biggest and best stereo systems were also the biggest fans of CDs when they were new, and CD players were luxury items.

Vinyl is wildly overrated in 2013. Unless you have an utradeluxe stereo system (and how quaint to call it a 'stereo system' when you think of it) vinyl does not sound particularly better than CDs, often worse. I don't want to lug LPs around the rest of my life, or fetch the maid when there's dust on the LP-player's needle. It's all such bull, vinyl enthusiasts can go do their thing, but at least admit it's a PITA.

Bjossi

#4 Post by Bjossi » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 5:40 am

You are absolutely right about the medium, but I think the vinyl sound artefacts have changed roles in recent times. With the introduction of the digital audio reproduction for the first time artists had a completely neutral "canvas" to design on, they could say good bye to analog audio colouring. So if artists hate the vinyl as a medium but like the way it affects the sound, they can achieve that digitally with the fake sound effect but retain the convenience and theoretically limitless accuracy of the digital reproduction.

I am just barely old enough to have interacted with vinyl records as a kid (I'll turn 25 in 1 month.) but actually enjoy these cracking sounds, as long as they are used sparingly and in the right moments that is. Just a matter of taste really.

goughsjd

#5 Post by goughsjd » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 8:52 am

i aint noticed it on vocal tbh ! I love vinyl covers (just think there a great size and look nice) over the cds & cassettes !
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

davidlilja

#6 Post by davidlilja » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

Luke Colorado wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned so maybe it's my earphones (and my car stereo) but I hear some stylus sounds at moments in Vocal.

Please tell me they did not add fake vinyl sounds?!?! So lame.... almost as lame as putting the sound of a cheering in your track.
    I've listened a bunch of times but I can't find any, can you tell me (if you find it again) around what time.
    I know that the vocal-track is rather noisy and got some "smacks" here and there
    Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Retro Remix) : https://soundcloud.com/iomusic_se/enjoytheremix

Danimal

#7 Post by Danimal » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

The vinyl crackling is definitely on Vocal!

Oznerol

#8 Post by Oznerol » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:38 pm

Danimal wrote:The vinyl crackling is definitely on Vocal!
    I can`t hear that effect on Vocal neither....around what time can you hear it??
    This is not my signature.

jamie1978

#9 Post by jamie1978 » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 7:40 pm

i don't think it's "fake vinyl effect", they're just using certain filters to give the synths that throbbing analogue sound

FreshDebesh

#10 Post by FreshDebesh » Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:02 pm

Ok, that's what I thought too. I was beginning to think that their recordings are getting shoddy after leaving Parlophone lol.

Gary1962

#11 Post by Gary1962 » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:20 pm

Personally I cannot stand the use of fake vinyl sounds that's what put me off the track "Fluorescent".
    If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
    If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Drico One

#12 Post by Drico One » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

You mean, the track Fluorescent that you haven't actually heard.

Hats off.

Drico.
    The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Palpatine

#13 Post by Palpatine » Sun 09 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

Drico One wrote:You mean, the track Fluorescent that you haven't actually heard.

Hats off.

Drico.
    :clap:

NikacP0kac

#14 Post by NikacP0kac » Mon 10 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

Drico One wrote:You mean, the track Fluorescent that you haven't actually heard.

Hats off.

Drico.
    You are my hero! :!:
    Have a look at my taste in music:
    http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Bjossi

#15 Post by Bjossi » Mon 10 Jun 2013, 1:19 am

I don't get it. There is a Fluorescent teaser on Youtube and I sure hope it accurately represents the full length of the track.