Fluorescent Teaser Online (Formerly Tomorrow)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
whateverman42

Re: Tomorrow

#106 Post by whateverman42 »

I have a feeling this will my be my favourite PSB album, and possibly their best period. I'm a bit worried by The Last To Die though, and if it will stand out like a sore thumb. Reminds me of Numb on Fundamental. Here you have this gorgeous electro record written by the modern Beethoven's, interspersed with a track by Diane Warren or Bruce Springsteen. Great. Anyways, Fluorescent sounds great. No-one is close to PSB, especially among their contemporaries. OMD's last album was fine, but it had nowhere near the complexity and energy of these new songs. Not one other band from the 80's, or 70's or 90's, could put out an album as as strong and creative as this nowadays. IMO this makes PSB the best band of all time, because I value consistency and longevity quite a bit. For some reason the creative field of music does not lend itself well to those who age, it's more for the young to have 10 years of brilliance and then flame out creatively. As a contrast, writers and painters do seem to get better with age.

And why PSB, why can they keep doing this? I remember a radio interview (can't find it on youtube) from the early 2000's detailing their career that I thought explained it a bit. It was Bernard Sumner, detailing the tracks they co-wrote with Electronic, who was in awe of the way they wrote songs. I forget the details, but he said they were talking in musical structure and terms, and mapping out a song; like where they wanted it to go with chord changes and so on. By contrast he said he writes by messing around on the keyboard or guitar or whatever, which I think most all the popular musicians do. That's fine, but it relies on instinct, which I believe dulls over time, and explains why most artists later work is tired and doesn't break new ground. PSB are close to musical geniuses, and they have instinct like everyone else, but they don't rely on it; they use their intellect just as much. Neil understands the pop song more than anyone else I know of, and that's why they rarely put out a bad song (let alone a bad album, which they've never done). But of course they still need inspiration and creativity, it's just that theirs is driven by a cool intellect that knows what works and what doesn't. Anyways.

Danimal

#107 Post by Danimal »

There was some study done in the early 2000s that identified near all scientific break-throughs were made by researchers 35 and under. Their hypothesis was that the human brain requires a remarkable amount of energy to function at maximum potential and for those older than 35 their bodies simply aren't capable of supplying optimum energy to their brains, which might explain the creative drop-off in most.

Danimal

#108 Post by Danimal »

Digitalspy.co.uk seems to think Fluorescent is the next single. It's always possible:
1. They're guessing incorrectly
2. PSB are trying a new strategy where they lift several tracks off the album as digital only singles, perhaps accompanied by a remix (like Axis) but will also release an old-school "proper" single on CD and digital bundle for fans with b-sides.

Nickname

#109 Post by Nickname »

Danimal wrote: PSB are trying a new strategy where they lift several tracks off the album as digital only singles, perhaps accompanied by a remix (like Axis) but will also release an old-school "proper" single on CD and digital bundle for fans with b-sides.
A good thing to create expectation.

fluffmoln

#110 Post by fluffmoln »

Or inane speculation.

Danimal

#111 Post by Danimal »

Which is why option 1. Was they're guessing incorrectly. You could read the entire post before commenting.

jamie1978

#112 Post by jamie1978 »

whateverman42 wrote:For some reason the creative field of music does not lend itself well to those who age, it's more for the young to have 10 years of brilliance and then flame out creatively. As a contrast, writers and painters do seem to get better with age.
When pop and rock musicians are young, they are excited by relatively simple (and extremely catchy) chord progressions and short, hook-laden melodies. Opportunities, Suburbia... very simple musically, and they sound IMMEDIATELY GREAT.

However as the musician ages, they find these simple compositions unsatisfying, so go on 'journeys' in their songwriting because, let's face it, doing the same thing over and over again gets boring quickly. They 'evolve'/'grow', their music becomes more complex or more left-field, and as a result becomes less immediately satisfying to the average listener.

You can hear it through the Pet Shop Boys albums. However, they recently seem to be making a conscious effort to return to relatively simple hooks and melodies, because let's face it, they can sound great, and few have the inclination to listen to artistic self indulgence (see: Legacy, most of Elysium).

NikacP0kac

#113 Post by NikacP0kac »

whateverman42 wrote:No-one is close to PSB, especially among their contemporaries.
Now that's quite a statement here. What about Depeche Mode? They evolve constantly and the new album is fu*king great (not to my ears only, but to millions of others). Where no-one comes close to PSB really is the effort they put into live arrangements, hope DM use a live producer just to revamp some oldies for the next tour and make it more electronic again.

And by the way, Fluorescent sounds intriguing, hope there will be a full track somewhere soon, otherwise it's a bit stupid to put out a teaser almost 2 months before the full release.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

whateverman42

#114 Post by whateverman42 »

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. It seems a lot of people think simple melodies and hooks are better though. For example most people here would say their first 5 albums were way better than their last 6. I believe the opposite, but can one side be generally more right than the other when it comes to judging songwriting quality? Is it just different, not necessarily better or worse?

BlackPanther

#115 Post by BlackPanther »

Last edited by BlackPanther on Wed 29 May 2013, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drunk14

#116 Post by drunk14 »

http://chartrigger.blogspot.com/ - nice post about "Fluorescent" in chartrigger and some hints in relation to "the best song on the album" (nickname will be pleased).
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Nickname

#117 Post by Nickname »

drunk14 wrote:http://chartrigger.blogspot.com/ - nice post about "Fluorescent" in chartrigger and some hints in relation to "the best song on the album" (nickname will be pleased).
The best thing is "you'll want to playing the whole way through". We'll see what happens.

Pani

Flourescent

#118 Post by Pani »

Awesome!

Pet Shop Boys posted this on their facebook site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzTzRGf ... e=youtu.be

fluffmoln

#119 Post by fluffmoln »

Danimal wrote:Which is why option 1. Was they're guessing incorrectly. You could read the entire post before commenting.
I was referring to nickname. I quite like your posts, since they're thought through and well written (especially the one the other day about Elysium and the departure from Parlo). nickname could never write anything like that.

Remark

#120 Post by Remark »

whateverman42 wrote:I have a feeling this will my be my favourite PSB album, and possibly their best period. I'm a bit worried by The Last To Die though, and if it will stand out like a sore thumb. Reminds me of Numb on Fundamental. Here you have this gorgeous electro record written by the modern Beethoven's, interspersed with a track by Diane Warren or Bruce Springsteen. Great. Anyways, Fluorescent sounds great. No-one is close to PSB, especially among their contemporaries. OMD's last album was fine, but it had nowhere near the complexity and energy of these new songs. Not one other band from the 80's, or 70's or 90's, could put out an album as as strong and creative as this nowadays. IMO this makes PSB the best band of all time, because I value consistency and longevity quite a bit. For some reason the creative field of music does not lend itself well to those who age, it's more for the young to have 10 years of brilliance and then flame out creatively. As a contrast, writers and painters do seem to get better with age.

And why PSB, why can they keep doing this? I remember a radio interview (can't find it on youtube) from the early 2000's detailing their career that I thought explained it a bit. It was Bernard Sumner, detailing the tracks they co-wrote with Electronic, who was in awe of the way they wrote songs. I forget the details, but he said they were talking in musical structure and terms, and mapping out a song; like where they wanted it to go with chord changes and so on. By contrast he said he writes by messing around on the keyboard or guitar or whatever, which I think most all the popular musicians do. That's fine, but it relies on instinct, which I believe dulls over time, and explains why most artists later work is tired and doesn't break new ground. PSB are close to musical geniuses, and they have instinct like everyone else, but they don't rely on it; they use their intellect just as much. Neil understands the pop song more than anyone else I know of, and that's why they rarely put out a bad song (let alone a bad album, which they've never done). But of course they still need inspiration and creativity, it's just that theirs is driven by a cool intellect that knows what works and what doesn't. Anyways.
:clap: Excellent post whateverman42! Completely agreed!

- Remark

www.remarkcentral.com