Elysium is such a poignant album to listen to now

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Radiophonic

Elysium is such a poignant album to listen to now

#1 Post by Radiophonic » Tue 21 May 2013, 1:06 pm

Listening to Elysium adds such a new dimension and poignancy now, after leaving Parlophone. Songs like Leaving, Your early stuff, Memory of the future, Breathing space, Hold on even Winner and Give it a go (hope for the future and a renewed positivity).

I think, if this was as intentional, it was a stroke of genius on their part.

We missed the point, thinking it was their final record or 'Behaviour 2', it may have been their letter of resignation to Parlophone. If so, what a classy way of doing it.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Danimal

Re: Elysium is such a poignant album to listen to now

#2 Post by Danimal » Tue 21 May 2013, 1:27 pm

I totally agree. They tend to keep quiet about business so we'll never know the precise sequence of events. But if they went I to the studio knowing this was going to be the last one, they chose to spend a ton of their own money making a very personal statement knowing it wouldn't receive any label support. If they were contractually obligated to deliver one more album they could have just as easily self-produced it in their own studio and saved hundreds of thousands of dollars on the co producer, back-up singers, additional musicians, orchestra, arrangers, studios, etc. It's really given me a new appreciation for Elysium (although I still can't get into a few tracks). Also starting to think it was no coincidence their final single on Dec 31, which was probably the end of their agreement once they delivered their final album.

tottenhammattspurs

#3 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Tue 21 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Elysium, to me, is one of the few PSB albums that requires listen from start to finish. I rarely skip a single track (yep, even Winner!). The negativity surrounding this album has always confused me. It's a beautiful example of "grandoise melancholia".
is is and isnt isnt

Tom Angel

#4 Post by Tom Angel » Tue 21 May 2013, 4:45 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:Elysium, to me, is one of the few PSB albums that requires listen from start to finish. I rarely skip a single track (yep, even Winner!). The negativity surrounding this album has always confused me. It's a beautiful example of "grandoise melancholia".
I couldn't agree more. Side 1 in particular is pretty much perfect.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

DJ Pat

#5 Post by DJ Pat » Tue 21 May 2013, 4:56 pm

Elysium seems to be the calm before a storm which is now Electric.

So why bring out a new album not even a year after the last one? I personally believe they weren't that happy with it.
Live synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.
https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

stussyboy

#6 Post by stussyboy » Tue 21 May 2013, 5:32 pm

A major label wouldn't let you rush release an album so soon after the previous one. Now that PSB are effectively independent they can do what they want.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Radiophonic

#7 Post by Radiophonic » Tue 21 May 2013, 7:48 pm

stussyboy wrote:A major label wouldn't let you rush release an album so soon after the previous one. Now that PSB are effectively independent they can do what they want.
Unless you're Rihanna, who seems to have a new album out every year.

tottenhammattspurs

#8 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Tue 21 May 2013, 11:29 pm

stussyboy wrote:A major label wouldn't let you rush release an album so soon after the previous one. Now that PSB are effectively independent they can do what they want.
An we at least expect number one chart placings on the "indie" chart now then?

*wishes The Chart Show was still on*
is is and isnt isnt

vincenzosz

#9 Post by vincenzosz » Wed 22 May 2013, 12:31 am

I can see how right you are in that observation Radiophonic, it seems like a cleverly metaphoric album. ;)

There are aspects of Elysium that were disappointing, but overall I think it's a great album. It's probably my favourite beach album. Very chill but uplifting. It pretty much accomplishes what it set out to do.

When I hear people upset that it's "too boring", "underproduced", etc it doesn't make any sense. It's like complaining that Electric is too dancy. I'm a fan of the midtempo stuff myself, but I won't judged Electric based on what I want it to be.

karnsculpture

#10 Post by karnsculpture » Wed 22 May 2013, 12:33 am

I don't think they were unhappy with Elysium at all; Chris has commented I'm sure that they have had issues in the past with delays caused by Parlophone's way of doing business, and as a prolific creative band they want to get their current work out as soon as they can. In the past it was common for groups to release albums annually, with less songs, and PSB have gone and done that. I re-read the diary in the January 2013 Literally earlier on, they were clearly planning all of this for ages, having a productive writing streak then making a melancholy album then a banging one. The two sleeves are related clearly, the water of Elysium is a diagram on the cover of Electric. I think Elysium is fantastic and I'm shocked but pleased by what I've heard so far of Electric.

Radiophonic

#11 Post by Radiophonic » Wed 22 May 2013, 1:36 am

karnsculpture wrote:I don't think they were unhappy with Elysium at all; Chris has commented I'm sure that they have had issues in the past with delays caused by Parlophone's way of doing business, and as a prolific creative band they want to get their current work out as soon as they can. In the past it was common for groups to release albums annually, with less songs, and PSB have gone and done that. I re-read the diary in the January 2013 Literally earlier on, they were clearly planning all of this for ages, having a productive writing streak then making a melancholy album then a banging one. The two sleeves are related clearly, the water of Elysium is a diagram on the cover of Electric. I think Elysium is fantastic and I'm shocked but pleased by what I've heard so far of Electric.
Neil and Chris are strangely prolific. When they were busy working on The most incredible thing they were suddenly inspired to write a pop song at the same time. Then when they were supporting Take That they wrote Winner. You'd think if they were bogged down with work they wouldn't be thinking of adding yet more stuff, but they do.

The Beatles released a dozen albums in the 1960s. Bowie did the same between 1969-1980. All classics - Low and "Heroes" came out the same year.

FreshDebesh

#12 Post by FreshDebesh » Wed 22 May 2013, 6:39 am

The funny thing is that the Boys were originally on EMI America when Please was released in 1986. They stayed on with EMI America until Alternative was released in 1995. After that, every album was on a new label until Yes, which was on Astralwerks here in the States. Elysium was also on Astralwerks, and it was an EMI company. Ironically enough, PSB's last release with a big record company in the US ended up being on an EMI label, which seems fitting.

Tom Angel

#13 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 22 May 2013, 9:37 am

vincenzosz wrote:I can see how right you are in that observation Radiophonic, it seems like a cleverly metaphoric album. ;)

There are aspects of Elysium that were disappointing, but overall I think it's a great album. It's probably my favourite beach album. Very chill but uplifting. It pretty much accomplishes what it set out to do.

When I hear people upset that it's "too boring", "underproduced", etc it doesn't make any sense. It's like complaining that Electric is too dancy. I'm a fan of the midtempo stuff myself, but I won't judged Electric based on what I want it to be.
Very well said. Elysium has a wonderful vibe throughout, and underproduced?! Hardly.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Radiophonic

#14 Post by Radiophonic » Tue 28 May 2013, 12:15 am

Danimal wrote:I totally agree. They tend to keep quiet about business so we'll never know the precise sequence of events. But if they went I to the studio knowing this was going to be the last one, they chose to spend a ton of their own money making a very personal statement knowing it wouldn't receive any label support. If they were contractually obligated to deliver one more album they could have just as easily self-produced it in their own studio and saved hundreds of thousands of dollars on the co producer, back-up singers, additional musicians, orchestra, arrangers, studios, etc. It's really given me a new appreciation for Elysium (although I still can't get into a few tracks). Also starting to think it was no coincidence their final single on Dec 31, which was probably the end of their agreement once they delivered their final album.
Sounds pretty conclusive to me. I suppose unless they say, then we're just surmising, but no, it's obvious isn't it?

glennjridge

#15 Post by glennjridge » Tue 28 May 2013, 2:16 am

I've really been enjoying "ego music' lately. its so wonderfully odd and weird....the sort of hardcore electronica mixed with those almost jazzy little segments with the harmony you you you parts.

I also think that requiem in denim is an epic masterpiece.

btw....I wonder if electric will have a track by track interview....I LOVE those things!