Axis in full

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Ghost within this house

Re: Axis in full

#166 Post by Ghost within this house »

I wonder if they had In The Night in mind.... it sort of works as an update, particularly of the Clothes Show jingle bit....
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

daveid

#167 Post by daveid »

Tom Angel wrote:Axis.
I've been thinking about it.
Whoever said their cover of viva la vida was shallow was right. I actually like it- but as a guilty pleasure, but still...
When the new album details arrived on tuesday I felt like a child again, although only for moments, such is the adult tolerance for novelty, and then found Axis on iTunes.
I've spent the past two days loving, then hating, then back again.
I see Tennant's relief at having it easy lyrically, and 'our' beautiful Lowe unhinged on the licence to bang (ing)
But it's only now made sense.
I've walked to Victoria half cut on Adams ale to Axis, and it f****** makes sense. Once you, as a fan, throw off ALL the expectation from PSB's heritage, and just LISTEN, it's a trip. In particular, after the (Disco version) discordant'Opportunities bit' at 4'35" and it spins into that fresh little euphoric tinkled melody at 4'40" - the song's total pay-off- you know that NO ONE else could make this.
It's all in the details, such as the intricate (and buried) melodies in A Face like that, that don't just reward repeated listenings, but staple them as close to your soul as anything else.
Axis is about the night. About putting yourself on hold and throwing yourself into the music; to be caught. It's as psb have described in that recent interview: it's about WHY you went out when you were young. It has no time for nostalgia.
Most importantly when I was/am, slightly pissed on my own, Axis made sense. As ever, pet shop boys are making dance music for those ultimately dancing on their own. Ie Everyone.
I second this. By the way Tom I've also been listening to this under ths influence of Southwold's finest. A few Broadsides and a bit of PSSHHB and I was on my axis.

Bjossi

#168 Post by Bjossi »

rashomon wrote:Have heard the album version a few times now and its not doing anything for me. I love dance music but this is just too empty a sound for me and if I had just stumbled across the track on the radio I would not even think it was by the PSB - it's that far removed from their DNA.
The PSB I originally associated with and still do is their megahits like Always on My Mind and It's a Sin. Behaviour doesn't sound like PSB to me at all, same for Very, same for Bilingual, same for Nightlife, same for Release, same for Fundamental, same for Yes, same for Elysium... All of them I love (Except Behaviour.) but they just don't give me that feeling I used to have. Electric intrigues me in this regard because Axis has given me the strongest "Pet Shop Boys vibe" I have felt since I was a kid listening to their 80's stuff in the late 90's, either on the radio or from the mix-CDs my father used to make.

That's my story pretty much. Knew of them for many many years but didn't become a fan in that sense until I bought Yes in the summer of 2009.

However whether I would actually recognize Axis as a PSB tune from blind listening I can not say for sure. I'd definitely recognize it as soon as I heard Neil say "Turn it on". His nasal, strangely-deep-and-not-deep-at-the-same-time voice is iconic. That is in fact how I used to refer to him when talking about the Pet Shop Boys with other people before I knew his name, "the singer with the nasal voice", and people usually got who I meant.
Quicksand wrote:Axis just screams out to be be played on the t.v music channels...was flicking through, hoping....but of course it wouldn't be there : (
You could do like me: connect the computer to your HDTV and play the 1080p Youtube video while crying and eating cookies.

Radiophonic

#169 Post by Radiophonic »

Ghost within this house wrote:I wonder if they had In The Night in mind.... it sort of works as an update, particularly of the Clothes Show jingle bit....
Perhaps the BBC could adapt it for Cash in the Attic or Homes Under the Hammer?
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Nickname

#170 Post by Nickname »

Bjossi wrote:
rashomon wrote:Have heard the album version a few times now and its not doing anything for me. I love dance music but this is just too empty a sound for me and if I had just stumbled across the track on the radio I would not even think it was by the PSB - it's that far removed from their DNA.
The PSB I originally associated with and still do is their megahits like Always on My Mind and It's a Sin. Behaviour doesn't sound like PSB to me at all, same for Very, same for Bilingual, same for Nightlife, same for Release, same for Fundamental, same for Yes, same for Elysium... All of them I love (Except Behaviour.) but they just don't give me that feeling I used to have. Electric intrigues me in this regard because Axis has given me the strongest "Pet Shop Boys vibe" I have felt since I was a kid listening to their 80's stuff in the late 90's, either on the radio or from the mix-CDs my father used to make.

That's my story pretty much. Knew of them for many many years but didn't become a fan in that sense until I bought Yes in the summer of 2009.

However whether I would actually recognize Axis as a PSB tune from blind listening I can not say for sure. I'd definitely recognize it as soon as I heard Neil say "Turn it on". His nasal, strangely-deep-and-not-deep-at-the-same-time voice is iconic. That is in fact how I used to refer to him when talking about the Pet Shop Boys with other people before I knew his name, "the singer with the nasal voice", and people usually got who I meant.

Agree with you.

It's fun because I am listening a pop band with a "singer with a nasal voice" too, from the mid 80's, they are British.

Scritti Politti. Cupid & Psyche 85, What an album!

Radiophonic

#171 Post by Radiophonic »

Now there's a blast from the past. Cupid and Psyche. Scritti Politti. Wonder whatever became of them?
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

jamie1978

#172 Post by jamie1978 »

after tonight i can confirm: axis sound f*** AMAZING on mdma

this will be soaked up on US/EU dancefloors, it hits the spot like nothing else

Patrick Bateman

#173 Post by Patrick Bateman »

jamie1978 wrote:after tonight i can confirm: axis sound f****** AMAZING on mdma
:lol:

Ghost within this house

#174 Post by Ghost within this house »

jamie1978 wrote:after tonight i can confirm: axis sound f****** AMAZING on mdma

this will be soaked up on US/EU dancefloors, it hits the spot like nothing else
It's good to know one or two of us anthropologists are still out there doing field work...

coufy

#175 Post by coufy »

You can buy Axis at Juno in wav format now!
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/2198979-02.htm
Pet Shop Boys Technology
www.pet-shop-boys.eu

Andie

#176 Post by Andie »

Drico One wrote:
Andie wrote:
Drico One wrote:To me, the dominating theme of their entire catalogue is the desire for escape - a desire that can never be fulfilled. So, you get a wistfulness that reflects the impossible dream, a downcast hope. The dancefloor encapsulates escape. Pet Shop Boys take you to the very edge of the dancefloor, but you can never really step on to it, for to do that would be to escape and to escape would be to forget the exquisite pain of being.

Drico.

I like your definition.
Oh, it's just a personal perspective on their work and what it means to me. I'm surprised that I find Axis as emotionally affecting as I do. I've been listening to it a lot over the last day or so and think it's magnificent. It's a side of Pet Shop Boys that gets taken for granted in favour of their songwriting impulse.

Drico.

Agree!! I just can't stop listening to it :dance:
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

Gary1962

#177 Post by Gary1962 »

rashomon wrote:sigh ... I'm not going to fight myself anymore and will cave in to how I really feel ...

Axis, in my opinion is one of the weakest things the Pets have ever released.

Have heard the album version a few times now and its not doing anything for me. I love dance music but this is just too empty a sound for me and if I had just stumbled across the track on the radio I would not even think it was by the PSB - it's that far removed from their DNA. The only interesting part is for a minute or so near the start when the pulsing rhythm kicks in ... the rest is pretty bad and takes me back to the bad old days of the 90's when Euro-cheese dance sounds were all pervasive. Not hearing anything 80's in the song at all .... and it gives up nothing new on repeated listening. I gave it a 5 but would downgrade to 3.

Will it work for me in context of an album? - perhaps, but currently, I'm likely to be hitting that skip button when track 1 of Electric starts.

Hoping for MUCH more from the other 8 tracks.
I'm in complete agreement with everything you say, it's something that would have fitted on the dreadful "Nightlife" album. I've mentioned before that I think this new album could be a massive gamble.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here!

Ghost within this house

#178 Post by Ghost within this house »

Gamble on what, exactly?

Bjossi

#179 Post by Bjossi »

coufy wrote:You can buy Axis at Juno in wav format now!
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/2198979-02.htm
Cool but that is a bit wasteful, the only reason to use wav over lossless compression is if you need the extra decoding speed, the end result is bit-identical.

Pani

#180 Post by Pani »

http://www.spex.de/2013/04/30/pet-shop- ... tracklist/

I finally found it here, not having been able to listen to youtube because
of som gema issues ...
The tone in the little article is positive by the way.
Last edited by Pani on Sun 12 May 2013, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.