Only Connect

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
pierre

Only Connect

#1 Post by pierre » Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

Pethead was one of the clues in Only Connect (BBC Four) tonight. It was to be put in the same group as Maggot, Smiler and Little Monster.

This made me a little giddy inside! :)

vincenzosz

Re: Only Connect

#2 Post by vincenzosz » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:07 am

Ha ha! That's cool. What an obscure thing to reference. I mean, I'm sure hardly anyone in the world knows what a pethead is.

Your Funny Uncle

#3 Post by Your Funny Uncle » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:03 am

Yup! Saw that last night and it made me smile. Only connect clues are often quite tough. In the particular round in question you get a four by four grid of clues that you have to arrange into four connected groups of four. They often play tricks by including words that could be in more than one of the groups. The group pethead was in was obviously names for fans of musical acts.

You can find the particular wall on the show's site. It's Play Along 255.
We are star stuff which has taken its destiny into its own hands. The loom of time and space works the most astonishing transformations of matter. We are a way for the universe to know itself.

missemma

#4 Post by missemma » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

It was an exciting moment and in the play-off for third place no less!

Sometimes I reminisce about when Vampires was in the music round on University Challenge.
It's just my little tribute...

Kris

#5 Post by Kris » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:31 pm

Every time I watch that show I have to recharge my general knowledge self-esteem afterwards.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

Ramzy

#6 Post by Ramzy » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

missemma wrote:It was an exciting moment and in the play-off for third place no less!

Sometimes I reminisce about when Vampires was in the music round on University Challenge.
I remember that! Possibly the most obscure question on a quiz show ever since I'd wager only 20,000 people or so in the entire country would have known the answer.
I must disengage your recreational music.

Patrick Bateman

#7 Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

I always thought that fans of Miley Cyrus were called paedophiles rather than Smilers. You learn something new every day.

FormerEnfantTerrible

#8 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible » Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:34 pm

I don't get it, what was the question?
Did You See Me Coming?

vincenzosz

#9 Post by vincenzosz » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

FormerEnfantTerrible wrote:I don't get it, what was the question?
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic....

But the question I'm guessing is "what is the name of diehard fans of said bands?"

Lady Gaga fans are known as "little monsters" for example. And of course Pet Shop Boys fans are known as petheads.

Deschanel

#10 Post by Deschanel » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:37 am

Always great to hear of PSB mentioned in any context.

Random petty lit trivia: E.M Forster I believe coined, "Only connect" in "Howards End". Christopher Isherwood was pretty unkind about "Morgan" in his 1940's diaries. That he had terrible personal hygiene and piss-stains on his fly. Middle-aged, still living with his mum. Desperately closeted. In the 50's at a Cambridge bookish sort of party, Gore Vidal observed and described an encounter between a colleague? of Forsters, who had apparently given Forster a manuscript he had written, to read and hopefully critique; the fellow anxiously interrupted Forster in conversation.

"Morgan, it's been nine months- did you read it?" the nervous fellow asked.

"Yes. I read it." Forster replied, and turned coldly back to his conversation. And the anxious guy fled the party half in tears. Of course Gore Vidal loved this scene, describing it as a particularly British "blood sport" of the literary world there, at the time.

/pointless old literary gossip

Patrick Bateman

#11 Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 2:48 am

Poor Leonard Bast. :cry:

Deschanel

#12 Post by Deschanel » Wed 12 Dec 2012, 5:43 am

Yes, one wonders if his last name might have meaning and symbolism with three extra letters.

(Though I realize that's not really true. Darn you, Bateman!)