Fundamental vs. Yes and Elysium

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Fundamental vs. Yes and Elysium

#1 Post by Bulldog »

It's clear now that Elysium is going to sell less than the last two albums, but while Yes was obviously supported by the Brits in terms of promotion, I was wondering what made actually possible the relative commercial success of Fundamental-perhaps the long awaited return to their classic sound after the Nightlife/Release experiments, or just the right amount of TV promotion?

Fredddyyy

Re: Fundamental vs. Yes and Elysium

#2 Post by Fredddyyy »

The difference is that we didn't get a killer single like Fundamental and Yes had got (I'm With Stupid and Love etc., respectively).
That is why Elysium won't sold as much as their 2 previous studio albums.

BlueSwan

#3 Post by BlueSwan »

Also, general album sales are WAY down from just a few years ago. This affects everyone, even if it doesn't affect fanbased acts like PSB quite as much.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

Drico One

#4 Post by Drico One »

The fanbase was also younger, on average. People's concerns have since moved on from sealed promos and acetates to dentures, Just for Men, and erectile dysfunction.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Bulldog

#5 Post by Bulldog »

Drico One wrote:The fanbase was also younger, on average. People's concerns have since moved on from sealed promos and acetates to dentures, Just for Men, and erectile dysfunction.

Drico.
Just for Men is very George W. Bush/Condoleeza Rice though.
Last edited by Bulldog on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bulldog

#6 Post by Bulldog »

also, I'm with stupid was their last single performed on TOTP, wasn't it? That might have helped. TV promotion is so much more effective for sales than interviews on magazines anyway...

Radiophonic

#7 Post by Radiophonic »

Fredddyyy wrote:The difference is that we didn't get a killer single like Fundamental and Yes had got (I'm With Stupid and Love etc., respectively).
I don't think I'm with stupid or Love etc were killer singles. I think it's just a case of them being thought of as an old pop group and past it - the same can be said of all their contemporaries. Madonna's fall - record selling wise - has been spectacular.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Bulldog

#8 Post by Bulldog »

Radiophonic wrote:
Fredddyyy wrote:The difference is that we didn't get a killer single like Fundamental and Yes had got (I'm With Stupid and Love etc., respectively).
I don't think I'm with stupid or Love etc were killer singles. I think it's just a case of them being thought of as an old pop group and past it - the same can be said of all their contemporaries. Madonna's fall - record selling wise - has been spectacular.
They were perceived as old and tired back in 1999, to be honest.

Undertaker

#9 Post by Undertaker »

I think you nailed it when you mentioned Fundamental being a return to the sound they are reknowned for. A Life In Pop also helped and they had a big promotional campaign. PSB had previously released Bilingual, Nightlife and Release and these three albums will be near the bottom of most lists. Fundamental was a huge return to form for the casual PSB fan. Similar to Erasure in a way. Their last album shifted 5,000 copies because it was a return to what they are well known for.

I think there are three categories of fans ;-

1) The die hards who buy everything
2) The casual who will buy an album if it is similar to 86-93
3) The concert fan who love the hits.

Radiophonic

#10 Post by Radiophonic »

bobo wrote: They were perceived as old and tired back in 1999, to be honest.
Probably. A lot of those big pop acts from '99 aren't around either now - Westlife, Backstreet Boys, S Club 7, Steps ...

My favourite song was Smooth by Santana. Another 'oldie'.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Bulldog

#11 Post by Bulldog »

Undertaker wrote:I think you nailed it when you mentioned Fundamental being a return to the sound they are reknowned for. A Life In Pop also helped and they had a big promotional campaign. PSB had previously released Bilingual, Nightlife and Release and these three albums will be near the bottom of most lists. Fundamental was a huge return to form for the casual PSB fan. Similar to Erasure in a way. Their last album shifted 5,000 copies because it was a return to what they are well known for.
Up until "Ultimate" promotion seemed to be much more focused on TV...for Elysium instead there were lots of press interviews. It's a curious strategy, almost like they want to present it as an "elite" album?

MD

#12 Post by MD »

1-Promotion. They have done very little promotion for Elysium, just a few interviews. No TV ads or specials, without these the general public will not know they have a new album out.

2- Elysium is not going to sell as well with the fanbase because it is simply too downtempo for many.

3- less radio play than Fundy or Yes. Again if the general public doesn't know the album is out they can't buy it.

4- It may be that Elysium is not being promoted because EMI and the PSBs know it's an album with limited appeal to both the fanbase and the general public alike. As a result they have decided to save the promotion budget for the more commercial " dance " album that the Boys are said to be recording this month.

5- the doomsday scenario? The boys are no longer able to sell enuff albums to make a profit? If this is the case they did warn us to " enjoy it while it lasts "

I believe 1,2 & 3 are fact; 4 is a reasonable possibility and 5 a far less likely and extremely unpleasant possibility.

In any case,I am loving Elysium!
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

Bjossi

#13 Post by Bjossi »

Undertaker wrote:1) The die hards who buy everything
1.5) The fan who will buy the studio albums and maybe some singles, certainly not everything.

Patrick Bateman

#14 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Undertaker wrote:I think there are three categories of fans ;-

1) The die hards who buy everything
4) Easily confused Shop Boyz fans

Palpatine

#15 Post by Palpatine »

Fredddyyy's drunk the Kool-Aid, i.e. "if they just did this or released that, they'd sell loads more, etc.".

It really doesn't matter what they release. They're an entire generation removed from today's popstars:

Katy Perry (b. 1984) - When West End girls was first released.

Marina Diamandis, Drake, Lady Gaga, Ellie Goulding (b. 1986) - When West End girls went to #1.

Adele (b. 1988) - Adele was born two weeks after they had their last UK #1 single.

Another fun fact - When West End girls went to #1 in the US, it replaced Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer and was replaced on the top spot by Whitney Houston's The Greatest Love of All. Robert Palmer and Whitney Houston are both dead.

Because of downloads, it's a lot harder for established (i.e. old) acts to get a hit than it was ten or twenty years ago. The Bee Gees had their last UK Top 10 single in 1997, thirty years after their first. Because downloads make up 99.7% of sales, it would be impossible for them to achieve the same feat now, no matter how *AMAZING* their single is.

Rather than bemoaning the fact that they no longer have hit singles anymore, you should celebrate the fact that they had such a long run. If, upon West End girls hitting #1 in January 1986, someone had told you that PSB would still be releasing mostly high quality material 26 years later, with the longest gap between singles two years, they'd have laughed in your face. FFS, when I read that Was it worth it? only got to #24, I thought they were finished, and that was over twenty years ago!