the PSB 2013 (Electric) tour discussion

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Riikka

Re: the PSB 2013 (Electric) tour discussion

#496 Post by Riikka »

agent doris wrote:2014 is going to be all about festivals...
Aaargh. We already had festivals in Finland and Estonia this summer, I'd rather have proper gigs now!

TheMatrix

#497 Post by TheMatrix »

bongsteve wrote:Just got back from the Los Angeles Shrine show and gotta say I was pretty disappointed. Have seen them every tour since Performance and this was easily my least favorite...why? I'll get to that.

Visuals - Ok to very good. Love the main backdrop with the louvered blinds and lights behind them and the projections overall were pretty good. The lasers were great but a bit overkill after awhile.

Setlist - Very good and was so happy to hear I'm not scared again after all these years. That being said, these mashups have worn out their welcome. It's time for us to get the full tracks back again.

Venue - First time at the Shrine and while it's beautiful, it's very cramped and the sightlines are pretty poor off to the sides....exactly where we were about 12 rows back.

So up to there, not terrible but here's what ruined the show for my wife and I...the sound/mix. It was horrendous, absolutely terrible from where we sat. The bass was so intense that it made Neil's vocals nearly unintelligible at times, literally drowning him out completely. I don't know what was going on but I've never heard anything like this in all my years of going to shows.

I found the last 2 tours to be miles better and quite honestly, every tour up to this point has been better. Very bummed...maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff.
I agree. What was the deal with the bass. Who was mixing the sound? Where they not listening to the same show? I'm there to listen to neil sing and hear the music, but at times that was impossible. Sightlines at the Shrine are bad is you are in the lower orchestra section. I enjoyed the show either way, but hopefully next tour they will pick another venue. The Pandemonium show at the Greek was fantastic! Previous tour which was at the Wiltern I believe was just awesome!
Stay the course or change it up?

citylady

#498 Post by citylady »

ktel70 wrote:I just watched Pandemonium again last week and not having that amazing show to watch in high definition is such a shame.
I'm also waiting for a blu-ray of that show.

bongsteve

#499 Post by bongsteve »

TheMatrix wrote: I agree. What was the deal with the bass. Who was mixing the sound? Where they not listening to the same show? I'm there to listen to neil sing and hear the music, but at times that was impossible. Sightlines at the Shrine are bad is you are in the lower orchestra section. I enjoyed the show either way, but hopefully next tour they will pick another venue. The Pandemonium show at the Greek was fantastic! Previous tour which was at the Wiltern I believe was just awesome!
I even tweeted during the show (just to make myself feel better) that the sound needed to be fixed. Pandemonium (Hard Rock Vegas for me) and Cubism (yes, the Wiltern) were significantly better. This could have been a fantastic show in a better venue with a better sound mix.

bongsteve

#501 Post by bongsteve »

agent doris wrote:Vegas was perfect!
Awesome. We usually get free tix from someone that works for the Joint but couldn't make the trek this year. It's a great venue.

Young Offender

#502 Post by Young Offender »

I also have seen every tour since performance, For Electric i was at the san diego show and though i had a 10th row ticket just to the right of center stage i managed to sit at the second row right center stage for the entire show and loved the sound and lights/lazers, i'm an old genesis fan and they used to use a lot of lights and fog in their shows and this reminded me of those great genesis tours.

For the shrine my tickets were 28th row orchestra center just to the right of the soundboard mixing station, from this vantage point i thought the bass should have been turned up a little bit more and figured the sound would be best being by the soundboard station, besides this i loved the show and the crowd was really into it, i did wish i was closer like first 15 rows, my date btw was under the weather and loved the lights/lazers but thought the music was a bit cheesy discoish, she is not a fan and unfamiliar with the psb.