Where will Elysium chart?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Flaffer

Re: Where will Elysium chart?

#286 Post by Flaffer »

Undertaker wrote:Sales - 10,418. Which isn't very good really. I thought it would shift nearer 15k. It was only 300 sales away from number 7.

Although anyone that thinks that playing West End girls three weeks ago is going to shift a new album, has to be a tad slow.
not really, the way it works, at least theoretically, is that people see Pet Shop Boys performing at a major event, think 'oh, are they still around/I forgot how good that track was/wonder what they are doing now' etc. Said viewers may go onto PSB website/You tube/itunes - whatever. There they will be faced with video for Winner, advert for new album, read a review of the olympics that mentions PSB and their new album album due for release. Such viewers may then take a punt on Elysium. Not a difficult idea to grasp. Anyone who believes PSB only performed West End girls with an eye to shifting greatest hits albums, itunes downloads and copies of Please is to borrow a phrase "a tad slow"
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Undertaker

#287 Post by Undertaker »

Nah. People that have no idea PSB are still making music think like that for a reason and that's because they lost complete interest in them due to not liking what they were hearing in the first place. If West End Girls was the first time they have heard of PSB, and they intended to buy that track, they are not going to spend money on a studio album. It will be a GH compilation.

Of all the older acts that performed at the Brits, how many of their studio albums charted? A casual listener will buy a GH. They will not buy studio albums. Another perfect example of that is the amount of people that attend their concerts. Their studio albums hardly shot back into the charts, did they?

GalataPSB

#288 Post by GalataPSB »

Billboard top 200

dance /Electronic Albums

NJTom

#290 Post by NJTom »

Mediatraffic have Elysium at 40k worldwide for the first week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair."

Radiophonic

#291 Post by Radiophonic »

Undertaker wrote:Nah. People that have no idea PSB are still making music think like that for a reason and that's because they lost complete interest in them due to not liking what they were hearing in the first place. If West End Girls was the first time they have heard of PSB, and they intended to buy that track, they are not going to spend money on a studio album. It will be a GH compilation.
Correct. Especially as their was evidence of a blip of Discography, PopArt and Ultimatesales and zero interest in Winner.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Radiophonic

#292 Post by Radiophonic »

Palpatine wrote:
Radiophonic wrote:I never even considered the US charts. 44 is not bad. Yes got to 32.

Very only got to 20 over there and Please was their only top ten at no. 7. :|
What do you mean, only got to 20 in the US of A? Very was the first PSB album to not have any singles chart in the Billboard Hot 100:

Please: West End girls (#1), Love comes quickly (#62), Opportunities (#10), Suburbia (#70)
Actually: It's a sin (#9), What have I done to deserve this?? (#2), Always on my mind (#4)
Introspective: Domino Dancing (#18), Left to my own devices (#84)
Behaviour: So Hard (#62), How can you expect to be taken seriously?? (#92), Streets (#72)

* Yes, I know Always on my mind wasn't on Actually but I had to put it somewhere, same with Streets.

So, despite not having any singles gracing the Billboard Hot 100 - they had long passed the point where their videos were shown on MTV or their records were played by mainstream radio - Very became the second highest charting PSB album on the Billboard 200, second to Please, due in no small part to the fact that it got fantastic reviews in the American press. It placed five places higher than Actually, an album that spawned two Top 10 single and a Top 2 single in the US.

Please - #7
Actually - #25
Introspective - #34
Behaviour - #45
Very - #20

Given the above, it's ridiculous to claim Very's chart placing in the US as anything other than an unmitigated triumph.
To think you went to all that effort and still misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that 44 is a great position considering where Please and Very landed (their two most commercial albums). I'm agreeing with you so be careful with the Friendly Fire.

GalataPSB

#293 Post by GalataPSB »

from twitter :

Code: Select all

....claims its 16th entry on the Billboard 200 as Elysium debuts at #44, selling 7,005 copies in its 1st week.

Palpatine

#294 Post by Palpatine »

Radiophonic wrote:
Palpatine wrote:
Radiophonic wrote:I never even considered the US charts. 44 is not bad. Yes got to 32.

Very only got to 20 over there and Please was their only top ten at no. 7. :|

To think you went to all that effort and still misunderstood my post. I was suggesting that 44 is a great position considering where Please and Very landed (their two most commercial albums). I'm agreeing with you so be careful with the Friendly Fire.
You're right, I did misread your post. Apologies. :oops:

Radiophonic

#295 Post by Radiophonic »

Palpatine wrote: You're right, I did misread your post. Apologies. :oops:
No problem. :up:

Undertaker

#296 Post by Undertaker »

Elysium holds onto it's midweek position and is at #37

Fredddyyy

#297 Post by Fredddyyy »

Kinda off-topic, but I'm surprised how Nelly Furtado's new album is nowhere to be seen at UK top 40...
o:

Tenlow

#298 Post by Tenlow »

Fredddyyy wrote:Kinda off-topic, but I'm surprised how Nelly Furtado's new album is nowhere to be seen at UK top 40...
o:
It is new in at 46, yeah :shock:

Quite 'good' for Elysium though to hold its midweek position. There even might be another top 75 week coming...
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

PSBForTheMasses

#299 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

Undertaker wrote:Nah. People that have no idea PSB are still making music think like that for a reason and that's because they lost complete interest in them due to not liking what they were hearing in the first place. If West End Girls was the first time they have heard of PSB, and they intended to buy that track, they are not going to spend money on a studio album. It will be a GH compilation.

Of all the older acts that performed at the Brits, how many of their studio albums charted? A casual listener will buy a GH. They will not buy studio albums. Another perfect example of that is the amount of people that attend their concerts. Their studio albums hardly shot back into the charts, did they?
I heartily agree! When I heard and madly fell in love with Always on my mind, I immediately checked Amazon and although I noticed many albums (actualy please etc) I just looked for a greatest hits. Even PopArt seemed a little bit daunting, almost 40 songs and what if I did not like Pet Shop Boys at all when I listened to a whole album? Waste of money! So I went for Discography, which is actually the most ideal GH package in my opinion. They sum up what the Boys are better than anything around.

Only after I voraciously consumed Discography songs, it was time for other albums: When I read that Left to my own device Discography version was dull dull dull compared to the album version, I checked youtube, listened the opening and I said: Deniz, you got to get ALL albums by them.

You need to have a crush on an artist to buy proper albums and sometimes it may not happen sooner or later, LOL:) I also have Pink's and Erasure's greatest hits but I have no urge to buy their proper albums, they do not seem very appealing. But I have all albums from Boys except Disco series (I don't like remix thing) but of course I will eventually buy them

PSBForTheMasses

#300 Post by PSBForTheMasses »

GalataPSB wrote:from twitter :

Code: Select all

....claims its 16th entry on the Billboard 200 as Elysium debuts at #44, selling 7,005 copies in its 1st week.
I had read somewhere that Yes had sold more than 12.000 copies in its first week.