Winner video

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Posh Boy

Re: Winner video

#226 Post by Posh Boy »

If the video does not star my two favourite Pet Shop Boys, why should I bother even looking at it? I'd rather just switch on the radio/Spotify/iTunes and read a good book instead. Certainly in this case...
"Your boring face I love it"

morgan1098

#227 Post by morgan1098 »

Why does this have to be a gay/transgender issue? Those are not new subjects for PSB videos. The problem with the video for "Winner" is that THERE ARE PEOPLE TALKING THROUGHOUT MOST OF IT!!! And not just during the instrumental bits. Seriously, they totally turn down the volume on the verse and chorus so that the girls can tell their story.

If you're releasing a video for the debut single from an album, viewers should be able to actually hear the music. It should not be background noise in a roller-derby documentary.

Patrick Bateman

#228 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I think it would have been braver to use a genuine transgender person rather than an actor.

btw he's a good looking guy but a remarkably ugly woman.

glennjridge

#229 Post by glennjridge »

he's a good looking guy? come on bateman pull it together before you lose your perv thread privileges in the offtopic form.

Patrick Bateman

#230 Post by Patrick Bateman »

:lol:

I just find it striking how much prettier he is as a boy than a girl.....but then he is an actor after all.

Mr Love

#231 Post by Mr Love »

Patrick Bateman wrote:but then he is an actor after all.
How do you know?

York Minster

#232 Post by York Minster »

Every actor needs an audience
Every action is a performance
It all takes courage
You know it
Just crossing the street
well, it's almost heroic
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Shopper

#233 Post by Shopper »

well..its not as bewildering as Home n Dry for sure

On first view (I had no idea about the London Roller girls etc), it seemed rather cheap (EMI's budget cuts ?) and WTH !

then I checked wikipedia and their "The skater-owned and run league includes goals of promoting athleticism, charity, teamwork and confidence in women and aims to represent the diverse London area in regard to body shape, occupations, sexual orientation, race and nationality" vision and I couldnt help help revise my earlier thoughts about the characters in the vid and be pleased on its focus on equality !

Makes me think, maybe PSB wanted it to look purposefully amateur and documentary-ish? I mean, they could have easily built up a story line of someone being bullied and fight against odd and stand on the podium etc...but wouldnt it be too obvious :)
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Nickname

#234 Post by Nickname »

On youtube there is a comment of MR MAX RODRIGUEZ who says:

Hey. Thank you soo much for your wonderful comment. I'm the guy playing the girl in the video and it means so much. We worked hard on that video and there was alot of stuff that had to be chopped and changed but the end result i'm very proud of. i have alot of respect for you sharing that. It was hard for me alot. i'm just your arrange bloke. i've never done anything like that in my life. thank you.

Ghost within this house

#235 Post by Ghost within this house »

nickname wrote:MR MAX RODRIGUEZ who says:

.....there was alot of stuff that had to be chopped and changed but the end result i'm very proud of.
*sniggers*
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

glennjridge

#236 Post by glennjridge »

lol, priceless.

joeythecat

#237 Post by joeythecat »

All I can say is it is experimental. Not pop, not really a music video. That doesn't matter, videos in general are crap now anyway, honestly what the world will remember of this song is their performance at the Olympics anyway. If this song does what it is supposed to do, this will be everyone's song.

grantwww

#238 Post by grantwww »

Shopper wrote:Makes me think, maybe PSB wanted it to look purposefully amateur and documentary-ish? I mean, they could have easily built up a story line of someone being bullied and fight against odd and stand on the podium etc...but wouldnt it be too obvious :)
I've always thought that the look of the clip was deliberate to make it more like a documentary. I think it's a brilliant video with an inspiring storyline that does match the lyrics. Much better that a meaningless Olympics montage which is a lesser artist would have been tempted to do. It's too easy to take the obvious option.

I think "Winner" is a great song too. Musically very strong (as is highlighted in the instrumental version) and with a good message.

One of the qualities that I love about Neil and Chris is that they aren't always obvious or predictable. I had always assumed that their fanbase thought the same way but over the years I have been reading this forum, it appears that many want Pet Shop Boys to be obvious and predictable and get quite aggressive otherwise.

As a promo clip for the lead single off a new album, I can't see it helping to sell more copies of the song (which one would assume is the purpose of a promo video). But I suspect that the Boys and EMI realise that anything released now would risk being swamped by all the Olympics hype so they're saving the big guns for the next single.

Syncratic

#239 Post by Syncratic »

alig wrote:
Maybe this guy has a schizophrenic disorder? Yes, he suffers from a mental disorder. It's blatantly obvious he needs help.
Hmm, the voice of experience. :shock:

Roboplegic

#240 Post by Roboplegic »

God this thread is embarrassing, who knew some PSB fans could be so unpleasant. "That man dressed a as woman" is obviously transgender (or an actor playing a transgender person) and if you're bleating on about her "being a bloke hurrdurr" you're either totally dense or masking your vile prejudice behind feigned stupidity.

As for whinging about the video having nothing to do with the Olympics, isn't the the WHOLE POINT. One comment on the video hits the nail on the head; "Everybody thinks, they just try to profit from the Olympic Games, try to get back to the charts. BUT: As the video arrives, the lyrics of the song get a completely different meaning. "Winner" is not about medals. It's about tolerance. Thank you!!"

Get a grip, some of you.