For your consideration: Richter, Love, etc

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Naughty Zoot

For your consideration: Richter, Love, etc

#1 Post by Naughty Zoot »

I saw the Gerhard Richter Painting documentary today. It didn't allude to our Boys but it was engrossing none the less.
Thank You - N & C - for opening up my eyes to this Artist.
Since Love, etc referenced Richter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9bjcRmFqcU
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

glennjridge

Re: For your consideration: Richter, Love, etc

#2 Post by glennjridge »

the power it must be, to drop a name in a song, knowing the exposure possibilitys it brings to that person.

Vince

#3 Post by Vince »

Hearing "From Lake Geneva to the Finland Station" was the first time i'd wondered "Whats that doing as a lyric in a song?"
H.A.P.P.I.N.E.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.

Deschanel

#4 Post by Deschanel »

Gerhard Richter is a powerful and amazing artist and painter. I'm emphasizing that part because I'm rather sick of the contemporary-art trends towards installation, video, a kind of cynicism. I love painters. Retro. And he's a true master. (Funnily, he's had so many trends and styles in his own work, very different from each other- my least favorite of his was the mid-80's phase. PSB's emergent imperial time. Not making a connection really. Just, Richter is fabulous. He really is.)

Naughty Zoot

#5 Post by Naughty Zoot »

Deschanel -- I couldn't agree with you more about him being a master. For most of the doc you're watching him create a couple of new abstracts over many weeks.
Truly ~ watching paint dry was never like this!

Pani

#6 Post by Pani »

Saw Richters exhibition in Berlin recently.
There is an interesting biography book about his family background which is
very dramatic in some way.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ein-Maler-aus-D ... 87&sr=8-15

It was sold in English language too in the Neue Nationalgalerie Berlin, so there
must be English versions available on Amazon or wherever.

Naughty Zoot

#7 Post by Naughty Zoot »

To digress some: She's no Richter but Katie Puckrik Smells ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_f9WbDNLD4

Deschanel

#8 Post by Deschanel »

Zoot- maybe because I'm a painter myself, but the expression "watching paint dry" annoys me to no end! Partly because it's a synonym for boredom, partly because it's a practical consideration.

Ricthter: This may be boring: It bugged me a lot a few years ago that one of my intructors/lecturers at art school, Jed Perl, criticized Richter in print at the fairly respected New Republic iirc. For veering from figuration to abstraction and back again, over a long career, like that's a crime of some sorts. Jed cynically wrote, "we used to call that, "hedging your bets"." As if an artist had to choose, forever. Jed Perl is a relly fine writer and art critic, I just think he's vastly wrong here. No, an artist doesn't have to choose figuration over abstraction like some political statement, and stick with it forever. That's bullshit, it's limiting for the artist, only art critics care. Museum-going audiences seem to love the variation in vast shows like Richter has had. No one minds it. You can pick the Richter works you love best. Like I said, i don't like some. I love others.

(Jed Perl was right about another arcane art-world topic in his critique of Richter though; that the art world considers any work about German History And Its Deeply Profound Profundity And Deep History You Can't Really Ever Understand sort of full of shit in its self-importance. Every stereotype about German humourlessness you will find true dealing with them in the NYC art world. Postwar Germany is not the be-all and end-all of subject matter anymore in the NYC high-end art world, but goddamn it was for the longest time, in the most snobbish way. Anselm Kiefer's beautiful bombasticism being another example. Very peculiar, just saying that Perl is right. When it comes to good, beautiful, quality art, there's no reason in Manhattan that German art should be imbued with extraspecial meaning and value. It doesn't take away from my love of Richter to say they've been pulling off that con for years and years. )