How many more Pet Shop Boys album left?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Radiophonic

How many more Pet Shop Boys album left?

#1 Post by Radiophonic »

This got me thinking ...
Ghost within this house wrote:It's got to be on the cards... They had 22 songs according to the Format interview.

I guess they might be reaching the point where there's not enough career left for them to stash songs away...
How many Pet Shop albums do you think are left?
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Palpatine

Re: How many more Pet Shop Boys album left?

#2 Post by Palpatine »

2 after Elysium (not including compilations).

jasonjohn

#3 Post by jasonjohn »

I reckon at least 3 traditional albums but spaced out more

But more artistic releases, like plays and ballet or whatnot

Hillbilly

#4 Post by Hillbilly »

I have a feeling that Elysium will be their last new studio album...

After that a compilation called Unreleased, including songs we've never heard before! :D

Radiophonic

#5 Post by Radiophonic »

I will be surprised if Elysium is the last. When they were composing the ballet didn't Neil break off because he had an idea for a pop song (which became Together)? I don't think that they will conciously stop in case Neil wakes up the next day with a spontaneous great idea for a Pet Shop Boys song. Of course he could just give it away....

glennjridge

#6 Post by glennjridge »

if you want to know how many albums more they do, come up with a census..a definite number...and then I'm sure just on pure indignation they will do at least 5 more after that fueled on irritation we continually assume its all over at each new release. :)

Bulldog

#7 Post by Bulldog »

It might depend on their current EMI/Parlophone contract...

Radiophonic

#8 Post by Radiophonic »

bobo wrote:It might depend on their current EMI/Parlophone contract...
How so? You mean they'll call it a day if/when their record contract ends? If so, I don't see that being likely. They said previously they'd pack in it when they're bored. I can't see EMI dropping them and if they did I don't think they would stop being Pet Shop Boys.

York Minster

#9 Post by York Minster »

5 Ballets, 3 Musicals, 2 Kids Albums, 4 Live Albums, No proper studios though.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Bulldog

#10 Post by Bulldog »

Radiophonic wrote:
How so? You mean they'll call it a day if/when their record contract ends? If so, I don't see that being likely. They said previously they'd pack in it when they're bored. I can't see EMI dropping them and if they did I don't think they would stop being Pet Shop Boys.
That's my impression.

Deschanel

#11 Post by Deschanel »

I think they'll keep making music/"albums", projects for as long as they want to. They're long over pop stardom, despite its advantages. Whatever their contract with EMI or whomever, they're not too fussed, they have the luxury of not caring.

And the very cool thing is, they acted as if they didn't care then, too. When record labels and MTV and the press could make or break you. When fulfilling serious ambition was on the line. PSB have always done what they want, even in that old framework of pop stardom and distribution. They're wealthy men who can do what they want, they operate almost in an art context now, less than a pop one. They don't need the masses to buy their records by the millions. It'd be nice, but I think they're fine playing on that cusp, between a proper pop record and art for its own sake.

I think they'll be making music for a long while, because artists don't retire. They die. And I do think they're artists. Dunno, ask Gerhard Richter when he's going to retire from painting. (Nicely, and in German, or else his brutes will throw you to his wolves!)

I'm optimistic the Boys will keep making music for as long as they care to do so.

Naughty Zoot

#12 Post by Naughty Zoot »

I wouldn't be surprised if Elysium was the final convential EMI PSB album.
So I suspect that any future PSB releases will be digital only.
I like it here ~~ wherever it is ...

Radiophonic

#13 Post by Radiophonic »

bobo wrote:
Radiophonic wrote:
That's my impression.
Can you elaborate?

Radiophonic

#14 Post by Radiophonic »

bobo wrote:
Radiophonic wrote:
That's my impression.
Can you elaborate?
Deschanel wrote:I think they'll keep making music/"albums", projects for as long as they want to. They're long over pop stardom, despite its advantages. Whatever their contract with EMI or whomever, they're not too fussed, they have the luxury of not caring.

And the very cool thing is, they acted as if they didn't care then, too. When record labels and MTV and the press could make or break you. When fulfilling serious ambition was on the line. PSB have always done what they want, even in that old framework of pop stardom and distribution. They're wealthy men who can do what they want, they operate almost in an art context now, less than a pop one. They don't need the masses to buy their records by the millions. It'd be nice, but I think they're fine playing on that cusp, between a proper pop record and art for its own sake.

I think they'll be making music for a long while, because artists don't retire. They die. And I do think they're artists. Dunno, ask Gerhard Richter when he's going to retire from painting. (Nicely, and in German, or else his brutes will throw you to his wolves!)

I'm optimistic the Boys will keep making music for as long as they care to do so.
Well put. I think so too. So amount of albums depends on how long they live. I do think they'll cut down - not one every three years or so.

Bulldog

#15 Post by Bulldog »

Radiophonic wrote: Can you elaborate?
Right: "Yes" was their first record released under the new 2007 contract, isn't it? Thus I suppose they're still owing Parlophone a pair of studio albums at least, but once 2018-2019 arrives I can't really see them doing the pop game again, at least in their current terms-Neil will be 65 by then...