The Most Incredible Thing 2012/13 build up / news / reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sandy Shaw

The Most Incredible Thing 2012/13 build up / news / reviews

#1 Post by Sandy Shaw »

We had quite a few ballet threads last year, but I thought it would be good to have one for the 2012 revival.

Aaron Sillis on Twitter has provided some rehearsal related images.

27th February

1st day back rehearsing Pet Shop Boys 'The Most Incredible Thing', at Sadler's Wells

http://instagr.am/p/HoNiyvMVok/ From 1st March

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... 2866600023 From 13th March Alessia, Ed, Jo, Luke and me mid-run of TMIT
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

Janet Street-Porter

Re: The Most Incredible Thing 2012 build up / news / reviews

#2 Post by Janet Street-Porter »

nickname has already reviewed it in the Spanish press. He was disappointed with the new scene.

Sandy Shaw

#3 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Janet Street-Porter wrote:nickname has already reviewed it in the Spanish press. He was disappointed with the new scene.
lol!

I have just booked myself a restricted view seat for the first performance. I will be attending again, more than once including on my birthday 5th April!

Who else is going on 25th?
What's for supper?

Nickname

#4 Post by Nickname »

The return of The Most Incredible Thing

Tomorrow, March 25th, "The Most Incredible Thing", the ballet by Pet Shop Boys and choreographer Javier De Frutos based on a story by Hans Christian Andersen, returns to Sadler's Wells in London for a two-week run. First performed a year ago, the ballet returns in a revised production, Javier De Frutos having made several creative changes. Full details and ticket information can be found at the Sadler's Wells link below.
Neil Tennant can be heard discussing the ballet tomorrow on "Weekend Wogan" on BBC Radio 2 between 11 am and 1 pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dpqzr

Sir Terry Wogan eases you into your Sunday morning with music and musings. This week he's joined in conversation by Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant and he has music from Marlon Roudette.

Formed in London in 1981 by Neil and Chris, the Pet Shop Boys have become one of the world's best-selling music artists with over one hundred million records sold worldwide. The band are three-time Brit Award winners and six-time Grammy nominees, with twenty two top ten hits in the UK.

Pet Shop Boys' latest project, with choreographer Javier De Frutos, is a modern dance performance The Most Incredible Thing, which returns to Sadler's Wells in London for a second run.

Terry will also be joined in the studio by Marlon Roudette for a stripped down session. Formerly of the band Mattafix, the musician of both British and St Vincentian origin is now embarking on a solo career. His new single New Age, which is released next month, has already been a number one hit in Europe and racked up over ten million hits for the video online.

Sandy Shaw

#5 Post by Sandy Shaw »

I wonder whether the chat with Neil will be conducted telephonically....
What's for supper?

Sandy Shaw

#6 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Neil and Chris are back in the UK and will be watching the ballet this afternoon! My comment (well conveyed by a certain Andrew Shaw) that I had seen the ballet 5 times was mentioned by Terry Wogan. Neil said ''That's Nice!''
What's for supper?

Nickname

#7 Post by Nickname »

He told a few things about the new album. No duets but some backing vocals.

wieske

#8 Post by wieske »

Sandy Shaw wrote:Neil and Chris are back in the UK and will be watching the ballet this afternoon! My comment (well conveyed by a certain Andrew Shaw) that I had seen the ballet 5 times was mentioned by Terry Wogan. Neil said ''That's Nice!''
Terry mentioned my comment as well in the interview! I'm the guy from Belgium who last year made the trip from Brussels to London for only one reason: to see The Most Incredible Thing ;-)
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Sandy Shaw

#9 Post by Sandy Shaw »

wieske wrote:
Sandy Shaw wrote:Neil and Chris are back in the UK and will be watching the ballet this afternoon! My comment (well conveyed by a certain Andrew Shaw) that I had seen the ballet 5 times was mentioned by Terry Wogan. Neil said ''That's Nice!''
Terry mentioned my comment as well in the interview! I'm the guy from Belgium who last year made the trip from Brussels to London for only one reason: to see The Most Incredible Thing ;-)
Congratulations!
What's for supper?

wieske

#10 Post by wieske »

Sandy Shaw wrote:
wieske wrote:
Congratulations!
Thanks and... congratulations to you too Sandy! Always nice to hear Neil give a reaction on a letter you sent in ;-)

By the way: can you hear clearly what Neil answered as reaction on the message I sent in? I understand 'Good to hear that', but what followed then? Don't understand it that very well. The fragment starts at 1:27:00

Thanks for your help from the guy from Brussels ;-)
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Nickname

#11 Post by Nickname »

I don't know if someone of this forum has gone to see TMIT and can tell us the changes of the new version.

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman »

nickname wrote:I don't know if someone of this forum has gone to see TMIT and can tell us the changes of the new version.
Hi, I'm at Sadler's Wells at the moment. None of the performers are wearing any clothes. :shock:

lucienchardon

#13 Post by lucienchardon »

nickname wrote:The return of The Most Incredible Thing

Tomorrow, March 25th, "The Most Incredible Thing", the ballet by Pet Shop Boys and choreographer Javier De Frutos based on a story by Hans Christian Andersen, returns to Sadler's Wells in London for a two-week run. First performed a year ago, the ballet returns in a revised production, Javier De Frutos having made several creative changes. Full details and ticket information can be found at the Sadler's Wells link below.
Neil Tennant can be heard discussing the ballet tomorrow on "Weekend Wogan" on BBC Radio 2 between 11 am and 1 pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dpqzr

Sir Terry Wogan eases you into your Sunday morning with music and musings. This week he's joined in conversation by Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant and he has music from Marlon Roudette.

Formed in London in 1981 by Neil and Chris, the Pet Shop Boys have become one of the world's best-selling music artists with over one hundred million records sold worldwide. The band are three-time Brit Award winners and six-time Grammy nominees, with twenty two top ten hits in the UK.

Pet Shop Boys' latest project, with choreographer Javier De Frutos, is a modern dance performance The Most Incredible Thing, which returns to Sadler's Wells in London for a second run.

Terry will also be joined in the studio by Marlon Roudette for a stripped down session. Formerly of the band Mattafix, the musician of both British and St Vincentian origin is now embarking on a solo career. His new single New Age, which is released next month, has already been a number one hit in Europe and racked up over ten million hits for the video online.
Thanks for the link. A lot of interesting bits about their plans for the rest of 2012.

Sandy Shaw

#14 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Changes that I can remember: Addition of King's Lament, and new "three act but one interval" version. Clearer clock section with most of the dancers having costumes outlining their roles "Adam" "Eve", spring, "summer" etc. Additional and new choreography for the clock section and others. The clock section now has the character of Leo participating much more and showing the clock to the princess. In my humble opinion, this sectioned has been over clarified and it is now almost too ''in your face'' that the clock is showing the different numbers from one to twelve. Talking about faces, one curious change is that dancers come on with signs bearing the legend ''nose'' and ''ears'' rather than pictures of these body parts for the five senses. Before this when Leo has his dance with the muses, they feed elements of the clock into the bed before disappearing back into it themselves.

The other noticeable area for change is the competition. The presenter now dances as well as having vocally announcing the competition New material has been written around this including a pun on the word ''clock'' (yes that one). The entrants to the competition are presented in silhouette which is very effective. The competition entry names are shown on the screen on the left hand side of the stage, including ''Svetlana sings Sondheim''! Sondheim therefore gets two mentions in the show as he is one of the 300 names which flash up on the clock itself.

In general it seems that the aim has been to clarify the plot and, by condensing the ballet by losing one interval, it seems to pack a more powerful punch.

It was good to see Javier and the Boys there, and I know some fans got to have quite a chat with Chris. i had a little wave from Neil!
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

Trixiemix

#15 Post by Trixiemix »

Following from Sandy: The competition characters are 'Silhouettes now as opposed to out on stage fooling about anf the Competition compare does a lot of dancing instead of talking (Although talking can be heard in the background).
What a treat to be there tonight again.......and to grab a chat with my two favourite guys ;O)

OOOPss.....looks like Sandy was typing at the same time as I......
Back to Trafalgar.........