Live on BBC Radio 2 - Dec 2003

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
daveid

Live on BBC Radio 2 - Dec 2003

#1 Post by daveid »

I wonder if anyone can remember the set they performed on this show with Jonathan Ross, broadcast 6th Dec 03. It has been totally overshadowed by the xfm show of the same time, the "Two men and a powerbook" set. They performed 3 songs in the arrangements they would go on to use at the Barfly 3 months later. I did have a minidisc recording but I wiped it. I know they did West End girls and Opportunities, but can't remember the 3rd song. Was it It's a sin?

glennjridge

Re: Live on BBC Radio 2 - Dec 2003

#3 Post by glennjridge »

was it a new version of rent?

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
glennjridge wrote:was it a new version of rent?
My money would either be on that or It's A Sin... with A Powerful Friend being the dark horse.

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

agent doris

#5 Post by agent doris »

Rent was X-fm and A powerful friend was Radio 1 Peel session.

One of the crowd

#6 Post by One of the crowd »

Doris is correct, Opportunities and West End Girls were the only two tracks they played.
Fishing

Tom Angel

#7 Post by Tom Angel »

These should be released!
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

daveid

#8 Post by daveid »

Thanks guys. Personally I think the quality of these BBC 2 tracks was better than the xfm versions that I - uh hmm - obtained somehow.

DJ Pat

#9 Post by DJ Pat »

Any fan worth their salt would have this recorded some place. I did, and it was on mini disc. When I divorced it was in one of a few boxes my (ex) wife threw from the window several floors down into the canal.

Tom Angel

#10 Post by Tom Angel »

DJ Pat wrote:Any fan worth their salt would have this recorded some place. I did, and it was on mini disc. When I divorced it was in one of a few boxes my (ex) wife threw from the window several floors down into the canal.
haha!!!

(although I've not got them!)

Nickname

#11 Post by Nickname »

DJ Pat wrote:Any fan worth their salt would have this recorded some place. I did, and it was on mini disc. When I divorced it was in one of a few boxes my (ex) wife threw from the window several floors down into the canal.
It looks like you were having an affair with another woman.

stevebr20012

#12 Post by stevebr20012 »

I have these as well as the Barfly It's a sin from Parkinson and the XFM session which added Flamboyant and Rent. The Rent version is particular superb in my opinion.

Tom Angel

#13 Post by Tom Angel »

I want to hear that version of Rent!

MikeyC

#14 Post by MikeyC »

nickname wrote:
It looks like you were having an affair with another woman.
Or: Try It (I'm In Love With a Married Man). 8)

DJ Fairborne

#15 Post by DJ Fairborne »

IIRC it wasn't on the 6-12-03 show that they did the 2 songs live, as this was just an interview, but it was on their next appearance, which was sometime in early '04, around the time that ''Flamboyant'' was released. I really wish PSB would release a CD (or 2/3-CD set) of some of their radio interviews, especially some of the BBC ones, as they are always good value & often reveal some interesting stuff, such as in one interview, Neil said they'd asked Susan Boyle to perform What have I done to deserve this? at Glastonbury '10 with them, but thankfully she declined!

So, how about calling it something like ''Conversational'' & include a selection of radio interviews from the early days right upto the present day etc, as I think it would be a good idea, as I can imagine a lot of fans don't have a lot of these interviews in their collections, so to have them on an album would be great! :)