Fancy that! PSB and Michael Jackson on Fancy CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sandy Shaw

Fancy that! PSB and Michael Jackson on Fancy CD

#1 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Edited to remove broken link to blog 9/2/14

Further to Neil choosing Flames of Love by Fancy in Literally recently, it is interesting to learn that the Boys appeared in 2010 on this Fancy compilation / celebration

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-Hits ... se/2378276
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

geowayne

Re: Fancy that! PSB and Michael Jackson on Fancy CD

#2 Post by geowayne »

Sandy Shaw wrote:http://italomusicart.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -2010.html

Further to Neil choosing Flames of Love by Fancy in Literally recently, it is interesting to learn that the Boys appeared in 2010 on this Fancy compilation / celebration

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Top-Hits ... se/2378276
Note that the PSB songs are "West End Girls" and "One More Chance." My guess they're the early Bobby O versions of those songs. The Boys don't own the rights to those particular versions -- Bobby O does (or somebody else if he has since sold those rights). So they turn up in unexpected places with some regularity.

As I said, that's only my guess. But I bet it's a pretty good one. :wink:

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The track lengths would suggest so, geowayne.

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radiophonic

#4 Post by Radiophonic »

I used to love Fancy.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Sandy Shaw

#5 Post by Sandy Shaw »

They will be the early versions which keep coming out on XYZ! Good for Fancy having the Pets on 'his' album though!

EDIT: ZYX (!)
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

anorak

#6 Post by anorak »

Radiophonic wrote:I used to love Fancy.
I still do !
IS THAT THE 12" INCH MIX
www.robgrillo.co.uk

Radiophonic

#7 Post by Radiophonic »

anorak wrote:
Radiophonic wrote:I used to love Fancy.
I still do !
:up: :up:
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Sandy Shaw

#8 Post by Sandy Shaw »

FANCY is undoubtedly an outstanding Pop hero who has achieved to keep up an unfailing fan base for 25 years with his catchy Mainstream melodies.

“FANCY & FRIENDS” is a CD album which commemorates his 25th anniversary on the scene with various cult tracks besides his own hits, and featuring his friends including THE PET SHOP BOYS, GRANT MILLER, SIEGFRIED & ROY, HILDEGARD KNEF, FLIRTS FEAT. LINDA JO RIZZO, MICHAEL JACKSON and JQ & THE
BANDITS.

This is from the ZYX website and of course the PSB versions were mixed by Fancy.

The PSB tracks are credited as ''A original Fancy remix 1985 and by Chigobigo 2009''.
What's for supper?

retrofuturist

#9 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Both are clearly ZYX versions... to my cloth-ears OMC sounds indistinguishable from one of the mixes on that 4CD maxi single collection other than the slightly different ending... the West End Girls one is a bit different though, but not in any way that's remotely exciting.

Retro. :)

Sandy Shaw

#10 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Thanks for all these contributions. I am wondering if "Chigobigo" is another pseudonym for Fancy!
What's for supper?

leesmapman

#11 Post by leesmapman »

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I recently bought this CD just because, and there's an interesting anecdote in the booket:
Pet Shop Boys was the name the two British musicians Neil Tennant and Chris Loew (note: mistake in both German and English text in the booklet) were already using in 1984. They were produced by Bobby Orlando in NYC and their manager at that time, Bernard Jay on broadway, also had, for example, Hazel Dean, Bronski Beat, Divine and Fancy under contract. When my songs Chinese Eyes, Come Inside and Check It Out captured place 2, place 2 and place 8 in the USA (us billboard D. Charts, 1985), I toured all through the USA and Canada. During this time, the Pet Shop Boys were producing West End Girls with Bobby Orlando in NYC. But Neil and Chris wanted to go home to England (Newcastle) and I was hired for a remix of West End Girls and One More Chance.

The PSB were then themselves successfully producing in London. I went to their concerts again and again, at one point there was an idea of Hildegard Knef producing the PSB hit "It's A Sin" in a German version. Although Neil was very enthusiastic about the idea, I had to disappoint him months later. He wanted to know why it hadn't worked out.

Hildegard Knef was living with her husband Paul von Schell on Momenstrasse in Berlin at that time. When we visted Madame at home, she was enthusiastic about "It's A Sin" and we promptly showed her our German text by Sabrina Lorenz. In the studio, however, Hildegard suddenly laid her text on the console and sung "Warum Wohl Glaubst Du Sinkt Unser Schiff" (Why do you think our ship is sinking). Her text was also good, but wasn't really as right for "It's A Sin" as the brilliant anti-war story from Sabrina Lorenz. It didn't matter, we let Hildegard sing her text and came up with new music, only Sabrina's text "fell by the wayside". And this was what I ultimately told Neil Tennant.
It also has a photo with Fancy and PSB

stormynight

#12 Post by stormynight »

The most important thing here is, that the Versions has been remastered for this release and sounds much much better than on the old ZYX Releases.
You won´t get a better sounding Version, i think.
Did you ever walk on a stormy night...

Sandy Shaw

#13 Post by Sandy Shaw »

There is someone selling copies on eBay, but they have had a fair bit of negative feedback.
What's for supper?

stormynight

#14 Post by stormynight »

Buy it on Amazon
Did you ever walk on a stormy night...

markrobertnolan

#15 Post by markrobertnolan »

The original twelve inch compilation double cd is all the original 12" mixes of Fancy singles like "Slice me Nice" "Flames of love" and "Check it Out" - no poor remixes, just the originals, unlike some other Fancy compilations ?