Do You Want A New Bitch (Misheard Lyrics - Merged Threads)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Den

Re: Catch Your Slut

#76 Post by Den »

territorygal wrote:"So young, so wrong, into New York City..."
New York City Boy
You'll never have a body.

PSBPiggymummy

Re: Do You Want A New Bitch (Misheard Lyrics - Merged Threads)

#77 Post by PSBPiggymummy »

Not a PSB one (but if I have a think, I'll probably come up with some PSB lyric I've misheard)...
When my daughter was about 5 she used to sing 'I've got to move my daggers', instead of 'got the moves like Jagger', which I found a little disturbing...

FormerEnfantTerrible

#78 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

'New York City boy, you'll never have a budget.'
Did You See Me Coming?

PSBPiggymummy

#79 Post by PSBPiggymummy »

I'm sure that I must have misinterpreted more of the lyrics in my youth but given that I have trouble remembering what I was doing yesterday, I don't suppose I have much chance of remembering what was in my head 25 years ago.

The only example I can think of is that I always used to hear 'white arrow' instead of 'Paninaro' - not that I genuinely thought it was that but when I first heard it, that was what sprung to mind (I think it was the name of the prevalent mail order courier company at the time).

alig

#80 Post by alig »

"It's a lie, it's a lie, it's a lie, it's a sin!"
"John 3:16."

Nytrydr

#81 Post by Nytrydr »

"We never ever argue,we never calculate the currant seeds we've spent"

I wondered what the market value of currant seeds must have been in the 80s. Then I figured it must have been "current seed" which frankly sounded a bit too intimate.

Then I suddnely one day heard it right and went "you unbelieveable nitwit!" to myself
"Oh no, this should be poetry not prose"

symco

#82 Post by symco »

This lyric from hell 'Saddam Hussain and Paul potts' I never did like him in Britain's got talent lol

DJ Fairborne

#83 Post by DJ Fairborne »

I used to think in "Paninaro" it was "Girls, Boys, Arse, Pleasure", In "We All Feel Better In The Dark" it was "I want you deep in my ass & I know that you want mine", In "DJ Culture" it was "Like a football match, tell Neil the score", In "Opportunities" it was "Ask yourself a question, do you want to be hitched?" & in "Disappointed" (by Electronic) it was "Just one silver boat sailed, then slowed down once again". Also, in "How I Learned To Hate Rock 'n' Roll", I can never work out what is sung in the middle part, is it something like "Get stuck to reach the top"? Also, the female voice in "We Came From Outer Space", I thought she was saying "Beware of AIDS" for a while.

Also, I know they didn't write it, but in "It's Alright", I thought it was "people in Erasure on the brink of appression", so for a while thought it was some kind of comment about Vince & Andy!...

Don't forget we never got any lyrics in any PSB albums (in the sleeves/booklets etc), until "Bilingual" in 1996 & so it's understandable some of us would have mis-heard a few things over the years. Also, in the pre-internet days, it was hard to find song lyrics anywhere, apart from in the pop magazines of the day, such as "Smash Hits" & "Number One" etc.

Straight_Talker

#84 Post by Straight_Talker »

"Words mean so little and money less..."

When I was 10yrs old, I used to sing;

"Well eggs weeks or a literal-land money less"

Totally made up by my crazy little head.
More strobes and BANGING, please!

NikacP0kac

#85 Post by NikacP0kac »

Sorry for resurrecting this oldie, but wow.

After almost 6 years finally read lyrics to Vulnerable and noticed a grave mistake in my interpretation:

I thought it went:
I know the assumption is that I'm tough
but with who I am, though, that's fair enough

...giving it a very autographical note, as in Neil actually singing about himself, being a superstar and sort-of untouchable, because why should he care about a specific person when he's got all he needs.

What I learned is that the lyric actually goes:

I know the assumption is that I'm tough
and with all my anger that's fair enough

Sheesh.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

panda magic

#86 Post by panda magic »

In "Home and Dry" it does undeniably sound like he's saying "zooing business and selling loads" instead of "doing business and selling loads." It's definitely not a "D" sound at the beginning of "doing" at all and I've always found that strange.

NikacP0kac

#87 Post by NikacP0kac »

panda magic wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm In "Home and Dry" it does undeniably sound like he's saying "zooing business and selling loads" instead of "doing business and selling loads." It's definitely not a "D" sound at the beginning of "doing" at all and I've always found that strange.
Haha, nice of you to notice my effort at a humorous signature.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

joeythecat

#88 Post by joeythecat »

Are you sure it is not "doing buisness selling goats."

panda magic

#89 Post by panda magic »

NikacP0kac wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 7:28 pm
panda magic wrote: Tue 01 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm In "Home and Dry" it does undeniably sound like he's saying "zooing business and selling loads" instead of "doing business and selling loads." It's definitely not a "D" sound at the beginning of "doing" at all and I've always found that strange.
Haha, nice of you to notice my effort at a humorous signature.
:up:

I'm glad its not just me then.

Also I have to admit that whenever Neil sings the word "daren't" (in "to face the truth" and "miracles") it just sounds like "dent" to me.

Probably my favorite misheard lyric from this thread is "people in Erasure on the brink of oppression"

Sandy Shaw

Re: Catch Your Slut

#90 Post by Sandy Shaw »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 13 May 2010, 1:30 pm The City is quiet, to cold to wear cologne...... ;-)
That's how I used to sing it at home. I knew the correct lyrics too though!
What's for supper?