PSB Limited Edition V and A Postmodernism Vinyl Unlimited CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Sandy Shaw

PSB Limited Edition V and A Postmodernism Vinyl Unlimited CD

#1 Post by Sandy Shaw »

http://www.vandashop.com/product.php?xP ... 6&xSec=496
Postmodernism: Style and Subversion in Sound and Vision 1970-1990, Vinyl (Limited Edition)

The limited edition double vinyl LP is for the Postmodern music collector and connoisseur. The gatefold features exclusive artwork by Charles Jencks and as essay from the exhibition curator. Music from Joy Division, Eurythmics, Television, Depeche Mode, The Buggles and many more are featured. The albums have been expertly compiled by EMI Music and the world famous Abbey Road Studios in London and contain rare mixes and alternative tracks.

Snap the vinyl up as only 500 were produced and you can only purchase it here or instore.

Created exclusively for the V&A Shop.

http://www.vandashop.com/shopimages/VA_ ... isting.pdf

The Boys have West End Girls 7'' mix on the vinyl and West End Girls (Dance Mix) on the CD:

Postmodernism: Style and Subversion in Sound and Vision 1970-1990, Double CD and DVD

The Postmodern movement in music is captured on this double CD and DVD set, the first and definitive record of the wide ranging music genres that encapsulated the 1970s to 1990s.

Created exclusively for the V&A Shop by EMI Music and complied at the world famous Abbey Road Studios, the double CD features music heard in the exhibition Postmodernism: Style and Subversion 1970-1990 from the likes of Blondie, David Bowie, Heaven 17, Culture Club, Bow Wow Wow, and Laurie Anderson and many more. The CD contains rare mixes, alternative and live versions of selected tracks. The DVD showcases the best in music videos from Devo, Public Image Limited, Grace Jones and New Order.

The double CD and DVD set has 32 tracks and 18 music videos.

Click here to see the full track listing.

Created especially for the V&A Shop.

http://www.vandashop.com/product.php?xP ... 5&xSec=496&

http://www.vandashop.com/shopimages/VA_ ... ting_1.pdf

Has anyone here bought this and / or been to see the Postmodernism exhibition at the V and A?
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Sat 29 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

raggatwin

Re: PSB Limited Edition V and A Postmodernism Vinyl Unlimite

#2 Post by raggatwin »

Pet Shop Boys aren't postmodern, they merely flirt with it. Neil says that their version - as oppossed to a remix - is the definitive version of their songs, in postmodenity there is no original according to Baudrillard whom they reference on DJ Culture. I think the problem with postmodernism is that alot of people don't really understand what it is but because it has been the the vogue sociological/philiosophical reference point for the past thirty years those who feel that they should be in the know like to use the term. Whilst an interesting movement artistically it is a dangerous one politically in the sense that it lends itself to a kind of relativist position(s).
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Sandy Shaw

#3 Post by Sandy Shaw »

raggatwin wrote:Pet Shop Boys aren't postmodern, they merely flirt with it. Neil says that their version - as oppossed to a remix - is the definitive version of their songs, in postmodenity there is no original according to Baudrillard whom they reference on DJ Culture. I think the problem with postmodernism is that alot of people don't really understand what it is but because it has been the the vogue sociological/philiosophical reference point for the past thirty years those who feel that they should be in the know like to use the term. Whilst an interesting movement artistically it is a dangerous one politically in the sense that it lends itself to a kind of relativist position(s).
I may be ignorant about Postmodernism but couldn't even flirting with it be seen as a postmodern act!?
What's for supper?

Twoism

#4 Post by Twoism »

I think if I was spending £25 on the vinyl, I'd want a better tracklisting perhaps with a load of rare mixes/tracks.

df118junkie

#5 Post by df118junkie »

Sandy Shaw wrote:http://www.vandashop.com/product.php?xP ... 6&xSec=496
Postmodernism: Style and Subversion in Sound and Vision 1970-1990, Vinyl (Limited Edition)

The limited edition double vinyl LP is for the Postmodern music collector and connoisseur. The gatefold features exclusive artwork by Charles Jencks and as essay from the exhibition curator. Music from Joy Division, Eurythmics, Television, Depeche Mode, The Buggles and many more are featured. The albums have been expertly compiled by EMI Music and the world famous Abbey Road Studios in London and contain rare mixes and alternative tracks.

Snap the vinyl up as only 500 were produced and you can only purchase it here or instore.

Created exclusively for the V&A Shop.

http://www.vandashop.com/shopimages/VA_ ... isting.pdf

The Boys have West End Girls 7'' miz on the vinyl and West End Girls (Dance Mix) on the CD:

Postmodernism: Style and Subversion in Sound and Vision 1970-1990, Double CD and DVD

The Postmodern movement in music is captured on this double CD and DVD set, the first and definitive record of the wide ranging music genres that encapsulated the 1970s to 1990s.

Created exclusively for the V&A Shop by EMI Music and complied at the world famous Abbey Road Studios, the double CD features music heard in the exhibition Postmodernism: Style and Subversion 1970-1990 from the likes of Blondie, David Bowie, Heaven 17, Culture Club, Bow Wow Wow, and Laurie Anderson and many more. The CD contains rare mixes, alternative and live versions of selected tracks. The DVD showcases the best in music videos from Devo, Public Image Limited, Grace Jones and New Order.

The double CD and DVD set has 32 tracks and 18 music videos.

Click here to see the full track listing.

Created especially for the V&A Shop.

http://www.vandashop.com/product.php?xP ... 5&xSec=496&

http://www.vandashop.com/shopimages/VA_ ... ting_1.pdf

Has anyone here bought this and / or been to see the Postmodernism exhibition at the V and A?
Bought them both for the collection. CD track confirmed as Dance Mix. I got the book too. Not sure of the concept, but the LP and CD have an early 'Now' series feel about them. Interesting that the LP and CD have quite different tracklistings, and also that there is some remastered Malcolm McLaren which bodes well for some (surely) imminent re-issues.

Sandy Shaw

#6 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Bought them both for the collection. CD track confirmed as Dance Mix. I got the book too. Not sure of the concept, but the LP and CD have an early 'Now' series feel about them. Interesting that the LP and CD have quite different tracklistings, and also that there is some remastered Malcolm McLaren which bodes well for some (surely) imminent re-issues.
Good stuff. The cover art inside the album and CD shows the PSB West End girls cover art, but sadly the essay in the sleeve notes doesn't mention the Boys. By the way the current Annie Lennox ''House of Annie'' exhibition is also considered part of the Postmodernism exhibition and she is featured in the Postmodernism exhibition itself, but I think the Boys are not, sadly (although I have yet to look around).

As far as the concept, the cover art of the Postmodernism release is based on Jean-Paul Goude and Antonio Lopez's connstructivist maternity dress for Grace Jones. 1979. (The photo of Grace Jones in that dress is used to advertise the exhibition.).

I agree about the 'Now' series feel.

There is a tie for this in with V and A Enterprises and EMI, so maybe other popular culture related exhibitions in the future will see some interesting compilations.
What's for supper?

joeythecat

#7 Post by joeythecat »

I thought PSB were Pop Art, not Postmodern.

Radiophonic

#8 Post by Radiophonic »

They're popnorthern.
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

raggatwin

#9 Post by raggatwin »

i'm going to take my students down there.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Patrick Bateman

#10 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Postmodernism basically means that any old crap can be considered to be as important as the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. It's why Tracey Emin is a multi-millionaire.

Sandy Shaw

#11 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Radiophonic wrote:They're popnorthern.
Good one!
What's for supper?