PSB VS Phil Collins

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
York Minster

PSB VS Phil Collins

#1 Post by York Minster »

I'm not big into Phil Collins or Genesis, but they had many brilliant songs around the time of the early PSB albums, and it strikes me that Phil Collins is in a way a similar vocalist to Neil. He doesn't quite "sing" on most tracks, and he is very much an "everyman", kind of like Joe Jackson, that you wouldn't think would be fronting a band. A song like Land of Confusion sits nicely along side a track like West End girls.

I know that Mr. Phil has largely gone into crap easily listening that no one can stand, but does anyone rate him highly for his synth/rock/pop era and find any similarities to PSB?
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Nickname

Re: PSB VS Phil Collins

#3 Post by Nickname »

I loved some Phil Collins songs from the 80's and some from the 90's and Genesis too.
Last edited by Nickname on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radiophonic

#4 Post by Radiophonic »

I admit I owned a cassette tape of And Then There Were Three as an angsty 18 year old (next to my Bee Gees Live At Last, Fleetwood Mac Rumours and ABBA The Album)
"Enjoy it while it lasts ... "

Drico One

#5 Post by Drico One »

Oh, gawd no. Collins was all that was wrong with 80s pop music. There he was lamenting the plight of the homeless on Another Day In Paradise whilst telling The Sun that if the Conservatives lost the election he was leaving the country. Pet Shop Boys were the very antithesis of Collins and his Thatcherite self-aggrandisement, grasping avarice, ladder-retracting social climbing, and faux social concern. There he was hopping very publicly into helicopters during Live Aid doing his bit for charidee while coining the resultant album sales and laughing all the way to the bank. He represented everything that they stood against. Smug, oleaginous, and regressive, the embodiment of self-satisfied greed. Oh, and did I mention his music was crap?

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

York Minster

#6 Post by York Minster »

Drico One wrote:Oh, gawd no. Collins was all that was wrong with 80s pop music. There he was lamenting the plight of the homeless on Another Day In Paradise whilst telling The Sun that if the Conservatives lost the election he was leaving the country. Pet Shop Boys were the very antithesis of Collins and his Thatcherite self-aggrandisement, grasping avarice, ladder-retracting social climbing, and faux social concern. There he was hopping very publicly into helicopters during Live Aid doing his bit for charidee while coining the resultant album sales and laughing all the way to the bank. He represented everything that they stood against. Smug, oleaginous, and regressive, the embodiment of self-satisfied greed. Oh, and did I mention his music was crap?

Drico.
There was at least Jesus He Knows Me, a brilliant pop single and religious satire as good as It's A Sin. Collins has had a lot of mediocre to poor songs, but to say ALL his music is crap, I can't go along with that. Too many good singles no matter what his political and ideological bent.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Undertaker

#7 Post by Undertaker »

Phil Collins is boring. Genesis were far better. We Can't Dance was a good album. Genesis had some really good singles. The problem i have with him, is his songs go on forever. There are a few decent records but then you get 2 minutes at the end, going on and on, repeating the same words.

Radiophonic

#8 Post by Radiophonic »

Undertaker wrote:Phil Collins is boring. Genesis were far better. We Can't Dance was a good album. Genesis had some really good singles. The problem i have with him, is his songs go on forever. There are a few decent records but then you get 2 minutes at the end, going on and on, repeating the same words.
It's dementia, I think.

Radiophonic

#9 Post by Radiophonic »

I think that's dementia.

Corina

#10 Post by Corina »

Drico One wrote: ladder-retracting social climbing...
Aw, Drico, very well said!!
What remains in time
that didn't fade away?

joeythecat

#11 Post by joeythecat »

Not to argue the merits of Collins' work or politics, but...
When PSB did Bilingual they were way into Phil Collins territory.
With the drums, the horns, the fame conscious lyrics, the social commentary, the sunny delight throwaway pop: It wasn't PSB's finest moment but it actually would have made a pretty brilliant Phil Collins record.

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Has Neil ever dumped anyone by fax?

Eldritch

#13 Post by Eldritch »

Scapa Flow wrote:
Drico One wrote:Oh, gawd no. Collins was all that was wrong with 80s pop music. There he was lamenting the plight of the homeless on Another Day In Paradise whilst telling The Sun that if the Conservatives lost the election he was leaving the country. Pet Shop Boys were the very antithesis of Collins and his Thatcherite self-aggrandisement, grasping avarice, ladder-retracting social climbing, and faux social concern. There he was hopping very publicly into helicopters during Live Aid doing his bit for charidee while coining the resultant album sales and laughing all the way to the bank. He represented everything that they stood against. Smug, oleaginous, and regressive, the embodiment of self-satisfied greed. Oh, and did I mention his music was crap?

Drico.
There was at least Jesus He Knows Me, a brilliant pop single and religious satire as good as It's A Sin. Collins has had a lot of mediocre to poor songs, but to say ALL his music is crap, I can't go along with that. Too many good singles no matter what his political and ideological bent.
Oh please. Tele-evangelists are the softest possible target and Jesus He Knows Me is the smuggest way of scoring some political brownie points by stating the obvious. It's as vapid as stating that war is stupid and that paedos are not nice people.
Click click drone

Radiophonic

#14 Post by Radiophonic »

I like this Phil Collins song.

Sandy Shaw

#15 Post by Sandy Shaw »

I convinced myself for years that his voice was sampled on The Theatre. This is probably NOT the case BTW!
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?