The Together Chart Position Meltdown Thread

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
DJ Fairborne

Re: The Together Chart Position Meltdown Thread

#241 Post by DJ Fairborne »

Undertaker wrote:The Top Physical singles this week.

01 01 X FACTOR FINALISTS
02 NE KYLIE
03 NE MANICS
04 NE AKON
05 02 PET SHOP BOYS
06 NE JOE MCELDERRY
07 NE WILLOW SMITH
08 03 JLS
09 04 WESTLIFE
10 05 TAKE THAT
I doubt if this will be enough to keep it in the Top 75 though, so that's basically the end of the story for ''Together'' then & also with the final show of the ''Pandemonium'' tour this week, I guess we can officially say the ''Yes''-era is now over!

AdamDowds

#242 Post by AdamDowds »

DJ Fairborne wrote:I doubt if this will be enough to keep it in the Top 75 though, so that's basically the end of the story for ''Together'' then & also with the final show of the ''Pandemonium'' tour this week, I guess we can officially say the ''Yes''-era is now over!
RIP Yes era, February 2009-December 2010. Had some fun times!

tottenhammattspurs

#243 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

The end of the "string of consecutive top 40 hits" is over....hello "string of consecutive top 60 hits"!!!
is is and isnt isnt

DJ Fairborne

#244 Post by DJ Fairborne »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:The end of the "string of consecutive top 40 hits" is over....hello "string of consecutive top 60 hits"!!!
The sad thing about the ''Yes''-era is how poorly the singles performed. ''Love Etc.'' was by far the best PSB lead album single for a long-time (far better than ''Before'' & ''I'm With Stupid'' for example) & I thought it would reach the Top 10 at least (especially after all the publicity they had got for the ''Brits' Outstanding Achievement'' award etc) but sadly it only got to No.14. Next up, Did you see me coming? missed the Top 20 by making No.21, but then in the 2nd week plumetted to No.85 & starting the trend for PSB singles only spending 1 week in the Top 75. Last year's ''Christmas'' E.P barely making the Top 40 was disappointing & tied ''DJ Culturemix'' for being PSB's lowest charting single, as both reached No.40 of course. Well they were until this week when ''Together'' limped to No.58! I really thought that it would go Top 40 & I think most of us were shocked when it entered so low! Still, lots of big names are having flops as the likes of U2, Kylie, Scissor Sisters, R.E.M & Depeche Mode have all had recent singles miss the Top 40, so PSB are in good company.

Anyway, now let's roll on 2011 & the ballet soundtrack!...

markus

#245 Post by markus »

DJ Fairborne wrote:
tottenhammattspurs wrote:The end of the "string of consecutive top 40 hits" is over....hello "string of consecutive top 60 hits"!!!
The sad thing about the ''Yes''-era is how poorly the singles performed. ''Love Etc.'' was by far the best PSB lead album single for a long-time (far better than ''Before'' & ''I'm With Stupid'' for example) & I thought it would reach the Top 10 at least (especially after all the publicity they had got for the ''Brits' Outstanding Achievement'' award etc) but sadly it only got to No.14. Next up, Did you see me coming? missed the Top 20 by making No.21, but then in the 2nd week plumetted to No.85 & starting the trend for PSB singles only spending 1 week in the Top 75. Last year's ''Christmas'' E.P barely making the Top 40 was disappointing & tied ''DJ Culturemix'' for being PSB's lowest charting single, as both reached No.40 of course. Well they were until this week when ''Together'' limped to No.58! I really thought that it would go Top 40 & I think most of us were shocked when it entered so low! Still, lots of big names are having flops as the likes of U2, Kylie, Scissor Sisters, R.E.M & Depeche Mode have all had recent singles miss the Top 40, so PSB are in good company.

They're in good company indeed. The certain songwriting formula we Psb fans consider pop music is becoming just another artform, a thing from the past. The things that define this era hasn't got anything to do with music anyway. People need to be bribed and tricked by a media circus (like Gaga and X-factor) to pay attention, the songs are really the same old same old. Love Etc and Together had no bigger impact than what to expect, having nothing new to offer anyone. The fact that Hurts aren't doing much better proves it's not about looks, age, or sexuality: the whole genre's losing its mainstream appeal. It's not disappearing completely, but coming up with a great tune, becoming a one hit wonder is much harder than in the 80's. The next main Psb single will probably do even worse than Love Etc, we might aswell accept the situation. It's not Psb not writing good enough songs, it's the changing world.

Mr Love

#246 Post by Mr Love »

DJ Fairborne wrote:
tottenhammattspurs wrote:''Love Etc.'' was by far the best PSB lead album single for a long-time (far better than ''Before'' & ''I'm With Stupid'' for example)
I wouldn't agree with that, rather the contrary...

Kris

#247 Post by Kris »

DJ Fairborne wrote: The sad thing about the ''Yes''-era is how poorly the singles performed. ''Love Etc.'' was by far the best PSB lead album single for a long-time (far better than ''Before'' & ''I'm With Stupid'' for example) & I thought it would reach the Top 10 at least (especially after all the publicity they had got for the ''Brits' Outstanding Achievement'' award etc) but sadly it only got to No.14. Next up, Did you see me coming? missed the Top 20 by making No.21, but then in the 2nd week plumetted to No.85 & starting the trend for PSB singles only spending 1 week in the Top 75. Last year's ''Christmas'' E.P barely making the Top 40 was disappointing & tied ''DJ Culturemix'' for being PSB's lowest charting single, as both reached No.40 of course. Well they were until this week when ''Together'' limped to No.58! I really thought that it would go Top 40 & I think most of us were shocked when it entered so low! Still, lots of big names are having flops as the likes of U2, Kylie, Scissor Sisters, R.E.M & Depeche Mode have all had recent singles miss the Top 40, so PSB are in good company.

You have to put things into context. Considering Home and Dry and I Get Along made #14 and #18 back in 2002 when CD single sales were still prominent, #14 and #21 for Love Etc and Did you see me coming? were extemely respectable seven years on in a massively different chart climate. While it's true the Brits gave PSB a big publicity boost, it's the back catalogue that tends to benefit rather than new material, and Love Etc didn't receive enough airplay to give them the chance of a truly big hit.

The Christmas EP was never going to set the charts alight as it was released on a single CD for £5 with no genuinely new material. As for Together, it would almost certainly have gone top 40 had it had been released prior to Ultimate at a time when single sales were much lower.
Passion, love, sex, money, violence, religion, injustice and death. More on that story later.

stussyboy

#248 Post by stussyboy »

There are many timing reasons why 'Together' performed poorly, but deep down we all know the main reason - *whispers* - it's just not that good.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Undertaker

#249 Post by Undertaker »

The Top Physicals This Week:

01 NE MATT CARDLE
02 01 X FACTOR FINALISTS
03 02 KYLIE MINOGUE
04 04 AKON
05 03 MANICS
06 06 JOE MCELDERRY
07 07 WILLOW SMITH
08 05 PET SHOP BOYS
09 08 JLS
10 09 WESTLIFE

PSB'S physical run ;- 2-5-8.

Bruno Republic

#250 Post by Bruno Republic »

stussyboy wrote:There are many timing reasons why 'Together' performed poorly, but deep down we all know the main reason - *whispers* - it's just not that good.
This.

The whole song is well below par for them. The 3/4 time signature is a bit interesting, but the melody, lyrics, and production are quite forgettable IMHO. Not unlistenably bad, but not memorable.

I'm hoping they've been saving their better material for the ballet...

davenjulieuk

#251 Post by davenjulieuk »

any ideas on 2nd week chart position ?
Miracles happen when you're around...

davenjulieuk

#252 Post by davenjulieuk »

well it's out of the Top 100 :(
Miracles happen when you're around...

Rusty

#253 Post by Rusty »

davenjulieuk wrote:any ideas on 2nd week chart position ?
It fell from 58 to 183 in its second week (last week). Almost certainly out of the top 200 this week.
But it feels like the flight
Of the von Trapps, does that mean it's war?

joeythecat

#254 Post by joeythecat »

Well, with the exception of Love Etc. The Singles from this era weren't handled all that well. This one was no exception, a one off single that got released a month after the fact, especially in the times of downloading, one song is a difficult sale, and I imagine that the physical sales weren't exactly the easiest thing to find for the record store buyer... It isn't so much of an excuse, but a commentary on how the strategy at hand here was not very good. The song was a bit un-mainstream, pop, but really too underground to be a major crossover hit, a bit like some of the new material by Underworld: the b-sides were good, it is a nice PSB package, not major hit potential, realistically, should have been top 20. It just seems that they haven't been handled as a priority or hot commodity. It is like releasing Did You See me Coming, after 250,000 people already saw it coming in a free greatest hits package? I just don't get the logic. Is the marketing department just understaffed and overworked? Seems so. Still besides the grumbling, hit or not, I still salute PSB and Parlophone for putting out a good single. I bought it.

GalataPSB

#255 Post by GalataPSB »

Ive just seen Together video on Dream Tv.