Album with best mixes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
York Minster

Album with best mixes

#1 Post by York Minster »

What album has the best mixes associated with it?

I'd say perhaps Fundamental, with the great Fundamentalism, and Ressurectionist Extended.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Sandy Shaw

Re: Album with best mixes

#2 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Call me old school, but I like the early disco and dance mixes associated with Please and Actually!
What's for supper?

Ronald42

#3 Post by Ronald42 »

For me the best remixes / extended versions were from the Behaviour era. A few Highlights;

Being boring (Extended version)
This must be the place I waited years to leave (Extended mix) 9 minutes
How can you expect to be taken seriously?? (Momo remix) but also the BIR mix is great
So hard (David Morales mix) but the dub by Julian Mendelsohn is very good
Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you)/CTMEOOY (Dance mix)
and the most importent Jealousy (Extended mix)

Faboules era
THE FUTURE THAT YOU ANTICIPATED HAS BEEN CANCELLED

BlueSwan

#4 Post by BlueSwan »

Sandy Shaw wrote:Call me old school, but I like the early disco and dance mixes associated with Please and Actually!
Absolutely!

Nightlife had some good remixes of I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more and New York city boy though.
http://www.soundcloud.com/blueswan (Blue Swan tracks, my solo tracks and remixes)

http://soundcloud.com/groups/inspired-by-pet-shop-boys (A collection of various artists PSB covers, PSB remixes and original songs inspired by PSB - anyone interested can contribute tracks)

York Minster

#5 Post by York Minster »

My brother is of the "old school" mixes type. And my favorite album is Please, followed by Actually, yet, Disco seems totally unnecessary to me. My girlfriend has heard every PSB song back and forth 100 times. Sometimes I even ask her about a song where I preface it with, "do you know the song Hey Head master?" and she will give me a look like, well of course. But she doesn't know the Disco mixes too well, as I don't almost ever put them on. I think, though, if anything, what would help the album is a good remastering. It just sounds so thin. It could use some of that nice rounded bass.

Nickname

#6 Post by Nickname »

Sandy Shaw wrote:Call me old school, but I like the early disco and dance mixes associated with Please and Actually!
:up:

Bruno Republic

#7 Post by Bruno Republic »

FirthofForth wrote:... I think, though, if anything, what would help the album is a good remastering. It just sounds so thin. It could use some of that nice rounded bass.
Just cut the highs by about 2db, and then run it through a multiband compressor and shave off about 10db of dynamic range. Be sure that each and every frequency band is completely crushed for that loud sound you can hear over a jackhammer. Presto! Instant "modern" remastered sound.

Luke Colorado

#8 Post by Luke Colorado »

Very.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

stevebr20012

#9 Post by stevebr20012 »

Would have to be Very, CFYGH and Liberation had the best mixes ever, closely followed by the unauthorised mixes of Go West. Or in the real world, I agree with others about the vintage disco and dance mixes of the early albums.

VinnyM227

#10 Post by VinnyM227 »

FirthofForth wrote:My brother is of the "old school" mixes type. And my favorite album is Please, followed by Actually, yet, Disco seems totally unnecessary to me. My girlfriend has heard every PSB song back and forth 100 times. Sometimes I even ask her about a song where I preface it with, "do you know the song Hey Head master?" and she will give me a look like, well of course. But she doesn't know the Disco mixes too well, as I don't almost ever put them on. I think, though, if anything, what would help the album is a good remastering. It just sounds so thin. It could use some of that nice rounded bass.
I honestly don't own "Disco" or "Disco 2". I'm just not all that interested in remixes, although in some cases when they make the remix the single, really helps ("How Can You...", "Heart" and "I Wouldn't..." being notable examples).

To answer the original question....not sure but I would agree that "Fundamental" has some good mixes. "Yes", surprisingly not at all (not even loving what they did with "All Over The World"...it's not bad, but I prefer the original).

One of the crowd

#11 Post by One of the crowd »

Disco, the best remix album ever.

End of thread.
Fishing

York Minster

#12 Post by York Minster »

Disco, the best remix album ever.

End of thread.
Sorry I even made a thread about this, he is right, end of thread, it was a self evident truth!

Michael

#13 Post by Michael »

One of the crowd wrote:Disco, the best remix album ever.

End of thread.
I don't follow this logic. Even if Disco is the best remix album ever, that doesn't mean it has the best mixes of any PSB album associated with it..

My favourite (and I don't like remixes particularly) era would be Actually, mainly because that was when I used to buy all the 12"s and actually listen to them.

Michael

Twoism

#14 Post by Twoism »

retrofuturist

#15 Post by retrofuturist »

One of the crowd wrote:Disco, the best remix album ever.

End of thread.