I go up, up, up.. I go down, down, down/O2 classic moments

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
RichBeard

I go up, up, up.. I go down, down, down/O2 classic moments

#1 Post by RichBeard »

Just listened to Up & Down, and have to say, it's the best b side, possibly even the best psb track of the decade. Yes it's that good! ;D I love this song. I love the 'up, up, up.. down, down, down' bit in the middle and the high vocal part at the end. This is pure pet shop boys electro-pop genius... it's amazing!! Some of my favourite psb tracks are b-sides from the naughties - searching for.., between 2 islands, the resurrectionist.. And now another hidden gem, pure classic.

Does anyone else rate this track??

I was at the o2 gig last Monday and it was great to hear a few classic album tracks - 2 divided by 0, why don't we, jealousy.. Do I have to was also good to hear.. The best moment though was seeing a giant Dusty Springfield projection singing the chorus to What have I done to deserve this?. Classic :D

Anyone else at the show have a classic moment?? :wink:

York Minster

Re: I go up, up, up.. I go down, down, down/O2 classic moments

#2 Post by York Minster »

Up and Down is a good song, but best PSB track of the decade? I'm sorry, that's hard for me to think about, even though they didn't hit the heights they did in the 80s this decade, I can think of at least 25 songs I rate above Up and Down. On the other hand, I would imagine that many fans might find Fugitive to be the best PSB song of the decade...why don't we just turn this thread into..what is the best PSB song of the decade? For me, Minimal or Fugitive, runner up My Night, and third place Home and Dry.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

synthpopfan

#3 Post by synthpopfan »

RichBeard wrote:Does anyone else rate this track??
I do as well. It's my fave of the Yes 'b-sides/other tracks'. It has definitely become one of my favorite ever b-sides along with the resurrectionist.

I never tire of hearing them both - especially up and down as I often program it as my first 'random' song on my iPod.
:up:

Chrispsb

#4 Post by Chrispsb »

Personally, I consider Up & down one of their weakest b-sides ever. It plainly does not do justice to b-sides like Fugitive, I didn't get where I am today, or Always.

DJ Pat

#5 Post by DJ Pat »

I think the song is quite poor and sounds like it was thought of then recorded in about 5 minutes.

Tom Angel

#6 Post by Tom Angel »

Always IS just sublime, one of their finest songs, much less best b-side.
As to UP ad Down, I love it too. Not sure why - its quite simple, with an almost celebratory inane lyric, but its bloody good. It reminds me of their earlier b-sides - was that what it was, that's my impression, etc.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Issey Miyake

#7 Post by Issey Miyake »

They write really good b sides and obviously take their time on production, they are perfectionists. I think up & down is a good song along with the ressurectionist, after the event and of course Paninaro, although I'm not keen on paninaro 95.

Undertaker

#8 Post by Undertaker »

I think there is at least 20 songs better than this i've heard this decade. Probably 30. Although i don't think it's bad but an average B-side at best.

RichBeard

#9 Post by RichBeard »

Oh, i'm not the only one then synthpopfan!?!? lol. Yeah love resurrectionist too, love the riff running through the track, pure electro-pop genius. Great lyrics too. Fugitive and Always are great b-sides. Love the line, 'you go from a to b to c' :-) it's classic.

Yh, know what you're saying DJ Pat!?!? But i still love it. Neil's voice sounds really different on this track, that's what i like i think, it sounds a lot deeper and hushed, bit like King or Rome meets That's my impression. That combined with the 'up, up, up... down, down, down' bit, which i think is genius by the way, really works for me.

In terms of great b-sides of the naughties, have to say, Searching for the face of Jesus is one of my favourite psb tracks of all time, i love that song. Such a great lyric and the melody's really sad, bit like a naughties version of Your funny uncle. But it's a great track. Definately a top track for me from the naughties. Not sure if this counts, although, I think it was released in 2000, although it was part of the Nightlife era.. yeah guess it counts!?!? The track Lies. I think that track is awsome. A Chris vocal is always good, but i really like the two different riffs running through the track. Really captures something about the chaos and drama of clubland. It's a top track.

So... Up & down, Always, Searching.., Fugitive, Lies, Between two islands. who needs singles?? :-) Oh and break 4 love, Neil's vioce is amazing on that track..

territorygal

#10 Post by territorygal »

"Up and Down" is probably my favourite B-side of the Yes era. That one, and "We're All Criminals Now", have been getting a lot of airplay of late on my stereo.
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

Tom Angel

#11 Post by Tom Angel »

RichBeard wrote:Oh, i'm not the only one then synthpopfan!?!? lol. Yeah love resurrectionist too, love the riff running through the track, pure electro-pop genius. Great lyrics too. Fugitive and Always are great b-sides. Love the line, 'you go from a to b to c' :-) it's classic.

Yh, know what you're saying DJ Pat!?!? But i still love it. Neil's voice sounds really different on this track, that's what i like i think, it sounds a lot deeper and hushed, bit like King or Rome meets That's my impression. That combined with the 'up, up, up... down, down, down' bit, which i think is genius by the way, really works for me.

In terms of great b-sides of the naughties, have to say, Searching for the face of Jesus is one of my favourite psb tracks of all time, i love that song. Such a great lyric and the melody's really sad, bit like a naughties version of Your funny uncle. But it's a great track. Definately a top track for me from the naughties. Not sure if this counts, although, I think it was released in 2000, although it was part of the Nightlife era.. yeah guess it counts!?!? The track Lies. I think that track is awsome. A Chris vocal is always good, but i really like the two different riffs running through the track. Really captures something about the chaos and drama of clubland. It's a top track.

So... Up & down, Always, Searching.., Fugitive, Lies, Between two islands. who needs singles?? :-) Oh and break 4 love, Neil's vioce is amazing on that track..

Very well said. I hate the way every view has to be polarised on here - you can like one, but to the expense of another, all those b-sides are amazing and we're lucky to have such a cannon .
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Pertan

#12 Post by Pertan »

after the event is much much better....

billiejo

#13 Post by billiejo »

Pertan wrote:after the event is much much better....
On first impressions with the singles, I liked Up and Down the most but now prefer After the Event

West End Boy

#14 Post by West End Boy »

DJ Pat wrote:I think the song is quite poor and sounds like it was thought of then recorded in about 5 minutes.
This, this and nothing but this.
Tyrants and kings both meet the same fate, strung up at your city gate.

Blogo

#15 Post by Blogo »

'After the event' is the best b-side of the Yes era (so far anyway).
Listen without prejudice