Christmas EP review

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
patrick

Christmas EP review

#1 Post by patrick » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 7:23 pm

It doesn't often snow at Christmas
Quite similar to the original. Some great plucked strings and little electronic squiggles here and there. The beat is modernized and the opening bells from the original are minimized. The breakdown is replaced by an orchestral version of Peace on Earth that evolves into a bizarre jazz trumpet solo. There's a choir in parts, notably echoing "Bing Crosby!" This is basically an "everything including the kitchen sink" production, but it works without being too camp. It's Christmas, so the camp works just this once, actually. The vocals sound new, the blessing at the end is still there, and the song ends with church organ.

All over the world
You've all heard bits of this. It sounds better as a complete piece, but something's off here for me and I can't put my finger on it. The "oeo" is still there in the beginning. I can see why this isn't the lead track. Still very Christmas with all the new Nutcracker orchestral bits. You've heard a bit of the ending, but it's not as mad as you might be thinking. The instrumental jumps back into repetitions of the chorus before fading out. I should like this, but I just ... don't.

Viva la vida
This is a studio version, and too long at more than five minutes. Begins with a set of 12" beats for mixing, sort of electronic versions of the Se a Vida e drums. The production is very sparse, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the concert demo track with new vocals. Does nothing for me, I'm afraid. How they managed to make Viva la Vida of all things the least camp track on an EP will go down as one of the great puzzles of our age. Even the anthemic "oh oh oh" bit sounds underwhelming. You'd think a double-tracked Neil would knock that one out of the park. The people wanting this to be a single are mad.

My girl
Essentially the one we've already got, edited down to under four minutes and given a very slight tweak in form of a vaguely slinkier backing atmosphere synth and a bit of snare. I prefer the demo. The remix is basically a longer version of the same track with minimal modification in the second half (one or two minor synth adds). Inessential.

ZiggyPSB

Re: Christmas EP review

#2 Post by ZiggyPSB » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 7:30 pm

God! Makes it sound like the worst EP release in history! :shock:

And makes all those who want a studio version of Viva La Vida a stupid idiot!

Bah humbug!
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Patrick Bateman

#3 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 8:14 pm

Their version of Viva la vida is very melancholy. It's Herod realising what he has done; ergo the "watch them all fall down" refers to the Massacre of the Innocents.

Undertaker

#4 Post by Undertaker » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 8:41 pm

PSB turned Viva La Vida into a decent song. Ta for the review anyway.

Chuiperdu

#5 Post by Chuiperdu » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 9:21 pm

OK...so Christmas falls in Mid November this year.

Totally agree with the review except that IDOSAC still sounds slightly too camp for me...even for a festive record.

Still impressed by the 3.53 minutes of AOTW. I do like the orchestra/choir towards the end.

The first beats of Viva La Vida made me think of the first seconds of Always on my mind (Introspective version). The rest is indeed the "studio version" of the medley song during the concert.

My girl : Warning...the Neilatron seems to have been used !

drunk14

#6 Post by drunk14 » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 10:20 pm

''Viva La Vida'' is starker than i thought...but still very good :)
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

boyjohn

#7 Post by boyjohn » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 10:25 pm

Viva la Vida comes across much better than i would have thought. and My Girl isnt bad at all, it is punched up quite a bit from the demo. Based on what Patrick said, I was worried, but I am actually pleasantly surprised.
“I don't want to believe. I want to know.”
-Carl Sagan

One of the crowd

#8 Post by One of the crowd » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 10:34 pm

All Over the World is Classic PSB

As for the rest, sub standard for N&C I'm afraid.
Fishing

nickname

#9 Post by nickname » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:07 pm

One of the crowd wrote:All Over the World is Classic PSB

As for the rest, sub standard for N&C I'm afraid.
I think "It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas" is great.

drunk14

#10 Post by drunk14 » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:22 pm

...And ''My Girls'' too. Frankly speaking, i didn't believe they would menage to record great song from so weak material (demo, live i've heard). Finally, it's really good b-side. I'm a bit surprised, but in positive way. It reminds me ''Nightlife era''.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

Deschanel

#11 Post by Deschanel » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:31 pm

I like the studio "Viva la Vida". That said, I almost wish it were a good live recording of it instead, ungrateful cretin that I am. Seeing it live, the anthemic chant of it, the crowd enjoying the oh-oo-oh's.. the studio version seems a bit ..leisurely in comparison. The tempos could have been quicker, maybe, it seems to lose the energy of the live version. A similar thing happened with "So Sorry I Said", the Performance version sparkled live, the studio version was a bit turgid.

Please know I love it all, am grateful to hear it, glad they made it. I bitch with love in me heart!

tuff enuff

#12 Post by tuff enuff » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm

Never cared about IDOSAC, and I don't now either. AOTW is one of the best tracks on Yes and I like the new reworked version though the reworking is almost unnoticeable. Viva/Domino is disappointing, especially as it's a Stuart Price production. My Girl is nice and I like the melancholy as someone already have mentioned, also for me it could well be boys own song if I didn't knew it's a cover. All in all an average EP.
Go fast!

greenmile

#13 Post by greenmile » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:46 pm

The BING CROSBY bit is hilarious. :lol:

le petit corbusier

#14 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 12 Nov 2009, 11:47 pm

Deschanel wrote:I like the studio "Viva la Vida". That said, I almost wish it were a good live recording of it instead, ungrateful cretin that I am. Seeing it live, the anthemic chant of it, the crowd enjoying the oh-oo-oh's.. the studio version seems a bit ..leisurely in comparison. The tempos could have been quicker, maybe, it seems to lose the energy of the live version. A similar thing happened with "So Sorry I Said", the Performance version sparkled live, the studio version was a bit turgid.

Please know I love it all, am grateful to hear it, glad they made it. I bitch with love in me heart!
I totally agree about Viva la vida. It lacks a bit of "umph". I'm liking the our house mix a lot while I type. All over the world is huge. Well done!
Look left, then right
And run for your life

shaunh7

#15 Post by shaunh7 » Fri 13 Nov 2009, 1:33 am

I love it! Did anyone else hear sleigh bells on my girl?